Bad Or Just Plain Dumb Band Names

Foo Fighters: Named after a space shuttle (or a team on a space shuttle, can't remember). Thought it was worth mentioning.

Bands like Evile, great fucking band, why the stupid misspelling?

Wecamewithbrokenteeth and The Devil Wears Prada instantly spring to mind.

Also, almost any band that has the three word "noun-verb-noun" type name that metalcore bands tend to love, irritates me (though there may be a few exceptions that I'm currently oversighting).

Some band called DESTROY DESTROY DESTROY added me on myspace a while ago. I think they had three exclamation marks at the end, too.

I would also like to nominate Lamb of God for most misleading band name.
Mathiäs;5380627 said:
Agreed, that would be my philosophy if I was a mod.
If you was a mod? Sorry, but I think proficiency with English might be a prerequisite ;)
I heard about a band called Death, it's like they're not even trying.
This annoys me as well. I put off listening to Behemoth, Sleep Terror and Necrophagist for a very long time for the same reason, assuming that the lack of effort put into coming up with a decent name might somehow be analagous to a lack of effort being put forth musically. As for Slayer and Dethklok though, I think their shitty names represent their music appropriately.
...and I will decapitate your ass just as those fucking cattles.
This was intentional, right? :lol:
I dunno if it's been mentioned yet but a good majority of Metalcore band names suck shit.

Bout' fucking time.
I agree, but I think Black Dahlia Murder and Killswitch Engage are pretty good names, at least by metalcore standards.

Old school shitty names:

Van der Graaf Generator (they could have at least spelled it right...)
Budgie (pretty sure I've heard this used as a diminutive form of "booger")
Golden Earring (conjures images of tacky gay guys and/or Mr. Clean)

I'm sure it's been said multiple times in this thread but I'm not gonna bother reading through it...

Even though I'm a huge black metal fan, I'm gonna have to say most black metal bands have horrible names.

For an example (I'm just making these up) originally unorignal names like Abzagormagoth, Nargaron etc. Basically names that (unintentionally) mock those whose name actually has meaning or origin (whether it be from mythology, books etc). Also because I've seen this a few times, bands whose name is something like "jigdfg" or "jhfiadadta" or any complete utter random nonsense. Even worse are pathetic names that pretty much define the word cliche. Anything like Necro Grimfrost, Raventhrone, Raventhorn...and whatever useless combinations you can come up with.

Also, I'm gonna have to say a majority of hard/emo/metalcore groups whose name is a sentence. Something along the lines of something like "I Can't Believe it Friday Already!!" or "How Was Your Day at Work?" ..you get the idea. I'm sure there are real names out there that are far worse than these I made up.

A lot of thrash-related bands and their efforts to have everything consist of only one word. Whether it be the band's name, the album title, the song title...everything one word.

Anyways, I'm half-asleep. :loco:

Alright,thought i´d add some Swedish names.

Två Fisk Och En Fläsk(Two Fish And One Pork)

Köttgrottan(The Meatcave)

Trettioåriga Kriget(Thirty Year War)

Finntroll(in Swedish a name for a person with a lot of acne)

ABBA(A name of a fishfoodcompany in Sweden,before the bandname)

The Kristet Utseende(Well,that´s actually BOTH stupid and kinda cool,"Kristet Utseende" means "Christian Look",which sounds kinda stupid on it´s own,and then ,the "the" which is obviously is a non Swedish word and also doesn´t even have any equalent meaning word in Swedish,is added to make it even more stupid."The Christian Look")

Kampfar(Strugglefather,fucking stupid)

Another thing that might be fun to know is that many of the Norwegian bm-bands names sound EXTREMELY silly in Swedish ears.

Grimnisse(Imagine,oh,say a band with the name "Evil Glen" and you´re on the right track)

Nattefrost(sounds like some kind of kids tale)

Kvist(Twig?..ok)

A lot of the band names mentioned are actually pretty good, if only for comedic/novelty value. Band names that are stupid without being interesting:

Metallica
Megadeth
Arch Enemy
In Flames
Khold
Korn, Mudvayne, Limp Bizkit, Staind, Trapt, anyone else that mispells their name (except Mercyful Fate, which looks kinda cool)
Hypocrisy
Dream Evil
Rhapsody of Fire
Slayer
Tool
Carcass
Destroyer 666

Carcass??? You can't be serious?? I'm going to have to get John McEnroe to kick your arse.