Badass Rap

Success was a poor choice of words, what I meant was being able to sound approximately like every other rapper. So to be successful at rapping in a way that doesn't obviously suck.

As to the craftiness and complexity required within rap lyrics, see previous posts.

What do you mean exactly?

Saying that to make it as a rapper you merely have to sound approximately like every other rapper is too general, since not every rapper sounds the same. Subgenres exist as the most obvious point.

What I'm saying is that to be able to sing you've got to be able to hold a melody, right? To be able to rap you've got to be able to talk in the manner of the black population of the city you live in. Obviously cadence and style varies from person to person and scene to scene, but that's the basic qualification "to be able to rap".

To be actually successful you've probably just got to know some other guy who can write a catchy song for you to rap over.

What I'm saying is that to be able to sing you've got to be able to hold a melody, right? To be able to rap you've got to be able to talk in the manner of the black population of the city you live in. Obviously cadence and style varies from person to person and scene to scene, but that's the basic qualification "to be able to rap".

To be actually successful you've probably just got to know some other guy who can write a catchy song for you to rap over.

No, to be able to rap you need to be able to rhyme. Your criticism is ridiculous haha.

Every `song` sounds the same ..... just saying.

Rap is sort of on par with Milli Vanilli aint it

Last edited:
@Internally Deformed

Your opinions on the artistic merits of rapping are obviously skewed by your general distaste of hip hop as a genre.

Good rapping is about more than just rhyming and lyrics. It's using words as an instrument, making them create rhythms of their own. The simplicity of the Backing music in a lot of cases enhances the wordplay and the use of samples can be genius if done right. I kind of agree with you on the good/shit quality ratio, even on hip hop albums that I adore there are usually tracks that I can't stand for whatever reason.

As for the bragging/dissing/bigging ones self up, it's part of the culture, it started with rappers freestyling in battles against each other in the streets, so I guess you like it or don't.

Reactions: CiG
@Internally Deformed

Your opinions on the artistic merits of rapping are obviously skewed by your general distaste of hip hop as a genre.

This is the only part of what you'd said that I disagree with, since I've posted some Hip Hop stuff that I actually like. But yeah, I think that lyrics shouldn't carry a song, they should be an embellishment to something which is already good. And you're right, I dislike the culture of bragging, much as I dislike the shallow emphasis on materialism, misogyny and the capacity for violence as a virtue.

This is the only part of what you'd said that I disagree with, since I've posted some Hip Hop stuff that I actually like. But yeah, I think that lyrics shouldn't carry a song, they should be an embellishment to something which is already good. And you're right, I dislike the culture of bragging, much as I dislike the shallow emphasis on materialism, misogyny and the capacity for violence as a virtue.
'99.9% of it sucks' and 'Rapping is just being able to talk like a black guy' is just obviously biased ill-informed bullshit. Posting one track to show that you like some hip hop doesn't negate that.

'99.9% of it sucks' and 'Rapping is just being able to talk like a black guy' is just obviously biased ill-informed bullshit. Posting one track to show that you like some hip hop doesn't negate that.

What it shows is that I have no objection the genre in theory, just to its implementation. I also admitted being able to death growl isn't a particularly rare skill, but that doesn't ruin death metal for me because the music itself is good.

Throwing simplistic generalisations around doesn't show anyone anything except your lack of knowledge about the genre.

Throwing simplistic generalisations around doesn't show anyone anything except your lack of knowledge about the genre.

It's pretty difficult to criticise a genre except through generalisations, and I get tired of having to qualify everything I say with "I know this probably isn't true in every case" or "at least most of the time" or some such. I added some qualifications to my first couple of posts, just assume they hold true for everything I say.

Last edited:
I dislike the culture of bragging, much as I dislike the shallow emphasis on materialism, misogyny and the capacity for violence as a virtue.

So do I, which is why I tend to avoid those that perpetuate it, unless they're especially talented with their wordplay.

I think that lyrics shouldn't carry a song

More proof that you fundamentally don't understand hip hop.

Every `song` sounds the same ..... just saying.

Objectively false.