band influences

the-lull

discouraged one
May 25, 2001
France
www.thelull.fr.fm
I would like to expose my point of view concerning the fact of being influenced by a band. Just because I hate to hear someone telling me "it looks like...it sounds like..." when some of my friends listen to the bands I like. Comparing bands with other bands is something I dislike, cause I find it as a mark of disrespect for the songwriter.

For me, musical influences are something necessary to play music, and they are part of a musical style.
It works exactly the same way than the other arts, painting, literature, etc...
You can't begin to create something from the very day you buy your tools, paintbrushes, guitar, or whatever...
There is a necessary phase of reproduction, imitation, that allows you to master your instrument of creation. For example, I'm quite sure that a number of people here playing the guitar has begun with Metallica, Slayer riffs (I did...).
Then comes a phase when you try to compose things by yourself. As the only things you're able to do are the things you've learnt from reproducing the work of others, your first creations are very similar to the creations you've imitated.
Then, the more you compose, and the more the influences become underlying, and you really begin to create something of your own, something you've built yourself, thanks to the influence of others.
The music I play was very nfluenced by Katatonia at first, but now, only a few elements remains from them, and I have developed my own thing.
It's valid for me, but also for every band in the world. Look at Katatonia fro example. The Cure was a major infuence for them, and it was particularly flagrant on 'Discouraged Ones'. Now, the tone they liked in The Cure can be perceived in their music, but it is no more visible.
It will be the same for the 'Tool/A Perfect Circle' influence on LFDGD. Some vocal lines are almost similar to the one used by Maynard; I don't doubt that those vocal lines will be develloped in the future, in a more personal way, and it will beome a part of the musical style Katatonia has CREATED and always tries to DEVELOP.
Well, all that to tell you that musical influences must not be perceived negatively, they're just a necessary path to reach maturity and improving the means of personal artistic expression.

Thanks for payng my long message attention!
:D

well i think katatonia have been influenced mainly by Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, The Wu-Tang clan, Katatonia (with a 'C'), Rolph Harris and Mr Bean. seariously though i seem to remember one of the members wearing a Slipknot hoodie in a picture in Kerrang! some time back. what the hells up with that?

Originally posted by _Transparent_
well i think katatonia have been influenced mainly by Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, The Wu-Tang clan, Katatonia (with a 'C'), Rolph Harris and Mr Bean. seariously though i seem to remember one of the members wearing a Slipknot hoodie in a picture in Kerrang! some time back. what the hells up with that?

It says on the katatonia website that the drummer is way down with slipknot. Beats the hell out of me. I can think of a lot more bands that are way more innovative and way more aggressive and with way better drums. But what do I know, I'm just an old school metal head.

np: new radiohead (this album rules)

It's very silly that you 've put slipknot and any other foolish bands in influences list.As a friend told before,only the drummer likes slipknot etc...
Think again before you write something...