Influences are amazing!!!

I have been influenced in a very interesting way from Katatonia, the music that me and the other songwriter in my band have almost completed is going to be great fun playing live in Bloodshot (our band of course!)

Before you say this is a plug believe me we are far away yet to be plugging I just wanted to share some of our music with you as i have absorbed and felt Katatonia in far more than their roots would have you believe:

www.mp3.com/fakespace

Please enjoy it ("Rain" is the best one)

Richard

Thats cool, if anyone else thats listened wants to post any comments please do so. Please note again this is not a plug or anything like that I have been heavily influenced by katatonia, and currently I am working my ass off to get the whole thing into shape for gigging.

I think its one of the hardest things sorting out a band, it took katatonia quite a few years (they did DODS when Jonas was 17!!) It's only recently that they have had a whole band as before Jonas was doing drums. However I have to say that their new drummer is top notch. It's also insteresting to see his music taste if you check you'll see he likes Slipnot, now if nothing else you can agree to them having a top notch drummer which I feel is the reason behind this.

My point is that Katatonia are another one of those bands that has progressed to a degree outside gothic music (depending on where you draw the boundry). It's the problem of relating whats goth and pop really. The Cure were pop but they had strong gothic undertones. Sisters of Mercy (perhaps one of the most amazing in terms of fewest albums yet one very good collection of Greatest Hits) were again very Rock yet considered a start for gothic music.

To be honest I see no boundries like these, Rock is Rock, if you play it happy then it happy and if you play it sad it's sad, it's when you play it and listen to bands like the cure you realise that sadness and happy are very similar indeed.

I have also come to accept a few things lately and one is love for the darkness, I think that sadness and lonelyness are very important in our life and it is a time for us to accept certain things.

And I could go on for ages... but thats why i write music

I haven't had many replies about my post, anyone wanna say anything, even if you want to comment on my katatonia influence, like I said I am not plugging the band it's too small yet, however I have been heavily influenced by Katatonia ( and of course many other bands like The cure, and the Smashing Pumpkins but Katatonia were my most recent big influence)

So let me know, by the way I am eagerly awaiting the next Katatonia album, lets just hope it's not as methodical as the recording sessions look (methodical can disrupt creativity for most musicians) however it looks like they are still recording in the dark. I have to say that this is the big release for me of 2002.

Richard

I was a member (if it canbe called that) of mp3.com a long time ago and didn't like all the crap that got sent to me. Trust me, I would have already commented on your work if I had heard it, unfortunatley, nothing inpsires me to get anything from mp3.

It wouldn't by any chance be available from Kazaa would it?

I sort of agree but i use a separate email address, also the space is free and easily accessable to all, my web designer is still working on the web pages so i will try to sort it all out soon. Sorry about your problems with the MP3.com. I will try to sort it all out, however I hope you get the chance to hear some of our stuff.

Richard

Hey, this isn't too bad at all. Honestly, I was expecting a Katatonia rip-off (well, I got that impression from your words:)).
It doesn't sound like Katatonia all that much, maybe the style, but I don't know... it's good enough for me. Should ask Edge of Forever for his review: he's a lot better than me at reviewing music.

Thanks, maybe I was too critical of our work.

I never wanted to sound like Katatonia, but I wanted to incorporate some of their brilliance into our sound. I'm glad you like it, we do tend to get positive feedback from an all round audience which is nice.

It's kind of where I think katatonia could of gone but they chose to remain very dark (which is of course one of the reasons I love their music) but there have been a lot of other influences from all sorts of music including grunge and some mainstream rock, bands that probably are best kept low key, for example the british band "Mansun", I'm am very intense and deep in my mind, but I sort of love depression so much that it's my happyness if that makes sense, I think "Rain" is my explanation for that.

as for the other songs Hollow is another favourite. Bear in mind when listening to a lot of the other songs that they were recorded as far back as over a year ago and we play them now as heavy or heavier as any of the bands that are underground.

It's not really gothic, I feel that most really powerful music like "The Cure" and "Sisters Of Mercy" has disappeared underground. I hope we can show a different way to approach these deep dark feelings.

By the way where can I find "Edge of Forever"?

Originally posted by Her own Pride
Thanks, maybe I was too critical of our work.

It's not really gothic, I feel that most really powerful music like "The Cure" and "Sisters Of Mercy" has disappeared underground. I hope we can show a different way to approach these deep dark feelings.

By the way where can I find "Edge of Forever"?

No problem :)

I wish you luck with in your endeavor, but I personally don't think there's such a thing as being too critical of your work, especially when you aim for the best.

Edge of Forever is a member on this forum. He posts occasionally and he provided a link to one of his reviews for "Discouraged Ones" that I thought was perfect. It was critical, and yet gave all the right praise where it was due. Search the messages, you should find him somewhere (his avatar is a funny looking pumpkin with hands and legs holding a knife or something...).

Someone mention my name?

Heh. Cheers for the praise on that review, I'm not to hot on my reviews personally, I think they all suck. But that's me. I'll see if I can download some songs and give some feedback.. don't expect anything too good though. I suck.