Band names

Gujukal

May 19, 2012
Sweden
In this thread i thought we could give each other crits on band names or help creating new ones.
Im about to start a new band/project and im thinking about calling it: "I, The Conqueror". I'm not sure if its to close to I The Breather, what do u think? I'm also thinking about: "The King, The Conqueror". I think it sounds better but the first one looks better.

Go with the "the King, the Conqueror". All the bands or songs that are called "I, thisismyband" sound super cheesy to me..

"the King, the Conqueror" would almost be like ripping off "King Conquer" name off in a way

Never heard of actually. I'm going for "I, The Conqueror" ftm, going to do a logo for "The King, The Conqueror" in photoshop though. But i kinda like shorter more compact band names, but its harder to come up with uniques ones that are that :/

I agree with above, i suck at creating band names :cry: I might just do as some band and name my band after a book or video game ^^

Creating Band names suck almost as much as coming up with Album titles and the artwork concept. Took me awhile to come up with Await The Desolation so I know your pain

It's hard because you really can't change it afterwards just like that and to me thats a huge commitment :D I've always loved band names that have only one word, like Emarosa, Saosin, Underoath etc. But those are the hardest ones to come up with

I've legitimately always thought that bands with funny names were tight lol. Like Butthole Surfers.

Or my friend's band, Electric Snorkel.

But yeah, the "I, __________" bands get old.

It's hard because you really can't change it afterwards just like that and to me thats a huge commitment :D I've always loved band names that have only one word, like Emarosa, Saosin, Underoath etc. But those are the hardest ones to come up with

Yeah, but sometimes one word band names can feel a bit bland imo. Its pretty easy to change name if you're not that famous, but there's probably no turning back when you do :p

Here's my first sample of an upcoming song btw: https://soundcloud.com/conquerorrecords/i-the-conqueror-false-light

One thing to remember always is to name your band so that when people search for it on google they actually find your band. I mean like if your band is not so well known and you name it "bill gates" chances are people will find something else than your band first.

My project is called, The God We Create. I don't know some people have mixed feelings but I'm happy with it. If i were you I'd find some kind of phrase or line that is really deep to you and try and para phrase it into something very short.

To give my honest opinion, anything pertaining to "Kings, Conquer, I, We," or a girls name.

"Verb (the) Noun"

All of which I believe are severely generic and lame. If you guys haven't noticed, normally bands with extremely UNHEARD OF type names are the bands that are extremely popular,

Memphis May fire
Woe is me
Honour crest
Myka relocate
Palisades
We came as Romans

And if your band plays "djent" your band name has to be in plural if you want to be cool

Textures
Volumes
Structures
Circles
Aliases
Intervals
Reflections
Covenants

:D

I never notices the plural pattern!! I think names end up functioning the same way musical trends do, they become fashionable and people adopt them not even aware of how they are propagating "habits."

I also think people over analyse names and I'm a prime example; nevertheless, it's provably best to remember that a good name is not defined by how awesome it seems but rather by how much it doesn't say about your band:There's tons of band names that seem almost infantile out of context (Korn, Linkin Park, Pig Destroyer, Idk whatever) but as Chester once mentioned; the name should be defined by the band and not the other way around (totally paraphrasing).