Band needs Twitter??

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
So it´s really gay and even though I have one I hardly use it, but I was wondering, is it standard for a band to have a twitter account besides the obvious myspace and facebook profiles? I know bands such as Opeth, Paramore have one, but do most bands have them? Just trying to get the band out everywhere, and wondering if gaying out on twitter is actually gonna be worth the gayness

My drummer swears by it. He booked a good portion of our last tour through twitter contacts. I still haven't gotten the hang of it.

I read every post by whoever im following.

and out of curiosity how does anybody know the views of a single post? dont know how they would go about measuring that.

I read every post by whoever im following.

and out of curiosity how does anybody know the views of a single post? dont know how they would go about measuring that.

I don't know if that would be possible, given how many different platforms people use to read Twitter. Actually, let me re-phrase: I'm sure it *might* be possible to code somehow, but it may not be worth the amount of crunching it might need.

I've got a personal Twitter that I use for music and bullshit (http://www.twitter.com/russtopherb), plus a "work" account that I use to follow other industry-types and share relevant links and junk. It's a good way to network on both sides of the coin - I've tweeted about music stuff and had immediate downloads/buys, etc. and I've hooked up with potential clients via my work account. So it's definitely worth your time. I follow bands and always seeing last-minute show booking tweets to help bring in a crowd.

Those statistics might be simply based on surveys. Still valid empirical data if done right.

Anyway, I'm personally completely opposed to social-networking (only have a work-related FB account) but there's not much reason to not embrace it for your band if you're generally open to communicate via those platforms.

If you already regularly administer a Myspace, Facebook etc. account, you can link those to your Twitter and won't have much additional work generating content.