Band Recommendations...

Steedus said:
They get old real fast.

Now Cog on the other hand...
icon14.gif

fantastic band. seen them at least 20 times

I would highly recommend checking out this band, Genghis Tron, fucking mindblowing stuff, with furious vocals, unique musicianship... I am listening to their album Dead Mountain Mouth, very good stuff here. Ayybody heard of this band? they are a mix of noise-core and alternative-metal soundscapes.

yes carcass owns, that album is pretty badass but if you go further back in their discography everything's grind/death so don't be fooled by heartwork's melodicness

All Carcass albums except for the first one are great. (yes, even Swansong)

But yeah, none of the others sound like Heartwork. Swansong is more death 'n roll, and the ones preceeding Heartwork are death/grind rather than melodic death metal.

Heckelgruber said:
You might argue that it's a thread that's done to death, but I guess what people would recommend keeps changing anyway.

Having been on a massive metal hiatus since my late teens I've recently got back into metal in a huge way and am looking for new bands. Recently I have been mostly loving (not in order of preference):

Opeth (obviously)
Meshuggah
Dream Theater
Devin Townsend Band
Strapping Young lad
Slayer
Tool
The Haunted

NuMetal (the era I completely skipped) still leaves me completely cold as do wanky emo-ey bands singing about being bullied in stereotypical song structures.

I like many musical genres, as many others on this board also seem to, but what other metal would you suggest, given the above?
Have you heard about Polish death-metal band Sceptic? I'm not their fan.. but recently I've heard their album Pathetic Being and I should agree that it's not bad, rather good in my opinion.. though I prefer somewhat another music.
Powers said:
Power Metal: Mano'war, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Dragonforce (arguably happy hardcore) Powerquest, Demons and Wizards.
I think that Manowar is Heavy metal band. And from power metal bands most of all I like Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius. Hammerfall is also not bad... Sinergy...

And about another styles: Are you ready to listen to pop-rock bands? For example, estonian band Vanilla Ninja... Many metallers love their music (or they...)