Band Wishes for PP4

Originally posted by nightwish58
I saw Iron Saviour at Wacken, and they were horrible! That would be a wasted slot as far as I'm concerned.

they were horrible because you hate their music or because they couldn't play it live? if it's the first, I'm not too concerned (as far as my desire to see them live), but if it's the latter I might start to worry...

also, apologies to Dreamland_Rebel about my statement that "absolutely noone" had suggested Iron Savior; didn't mean to suggest that you aren't a person. I just missed your post when scanning the (enormous) thread.

and thanks for the Destiny's End info, zinescene. that's as much as i had heard about them, too; i was hoping someone might know more... now i'm really sorry I missed the first ProgPower, as it might have been the last chance to see Destiny's End live, unfortunately.

Ryan

i dont' know about now, but when Kai was in the band they sounded great live. Piet Silck has an awesome voice. high pitched but still masculine. almost like a cross between Dio and Hansi Kursch. and Thomen Stouch is a great drummer.
i'm still partial to their first album though.

Originally posted by zinescene
With That in mind here's how I see it

Century Media-Iced Earth
Laser's Edge/Sensory- Gordian Knot
Inside Out-Vanden Plas or Flower Kings

That leaves potentially 7 slots open unless the labels promote more than one band.

John

Hey John, isn't Evergrey on Inside Out? They're definitely playing next year (if Tom and/or Mike can be believed) as I'm fairly sure Glenn has told them they can play every other year if they'd like :)

Not that I wouldn't LOVE to see Vanden Plas...

Someone mentioned Yngwie earlier, sorry, but I would not like to see him again. Sure, some say he is a guitar god. I saw him and Ark both last year. The sam bands with different guitar players. Ark blew Ynwie away. He is stuck in the early 80's. He plays without any emotion. All he does is arpeggio, riff, scale, etc. repeated 1000 times.
As for Savatage, I've never seen them and would like to, but headlining a night, I don't think they are that good. As a matter of fact, they have put out some really weak crap over the years.

Originally posted by markgugs
Hey John, isn't Evergrey on Inside Out? They're definitely playing next year (if Tom and/or Mike can be believed) as I'm fairly sure Glenn has told them they can play every other year if they'd like :)

Not that I wouldn't LOVE to see Vanden Plas...

I thought about that, I know they played 1 and 2 and were here for 3. Believe me, I'd LOVE to see them again. I was so impressed with their performance last year. I just wasn't sure they'd come back a 4th year. Personally I'd rather see them than Vanden Plas or Flower Kings but since neither of those bands played at 2 or 3 I thought Glenn night choose them ahead of Evergrey.

Originally posted by zinescene
Yeah, there from Sweden. If they were going to come here I would think they would want a second or third slot to showcase the music a little more. IMO, it would be cool to keep the first slot open for some up and coming American prog or power bands.

BTW, Strange, there 2nd cd is completed. I don't have it yet but I've heard some of the stuff on MP3.com. It's available through Adrenalin Records in Italy.

Hey, I'd love to see them get a 2nd or 3rd slot, but I just want them here period. :) As for the CDs, 'Strange' came out in, IIRC, 2000. They have their third fill-length disc in the works now.

Glad to hear someone else has heard them! :)

Shaye

Originally posted by 97reb
As for Savatage, I've never seen them and would like to, but headlining a night, I don't think they are that good. As a matter of fact, they have put out some really weak crap over the years.

trust me, they're good enough to headline. I'd rather see them tour seperately and save the slot for someone else, but if Savatage end up with a headlining slot, they will fill it WELL, i assure you. they rank as one of the most godly live performances i've ever seen.

Ryan

This is Prog Power! Half those bands are neither progressive nor power metal.

Engine, Anathema, Lacuna Coil, etc...

We're talking about bands like Rhapsody, Stratovarius, Hammerfall, Tunnelvision, Silent Voices, Eldritch, Elegy, Empty Tremor, Secret Sphere, Valley's Eve, Adagio, Helloween, Nightwish, etc... Now that is some serious progpower!!!

the bottom line is... the bands need to go "dugga dugga dugga dugga" real fast to be on this bill. we don't need any deathmetal bands at prog power. i agree with nightwish58 on this one. there are so many festivals for bands like that i. e. milwalkee metal fest and new jersey metal fest. having Gamma Ray this year was the highlight of my life. and prog power needs to continue in the tradition like that. Iron Savior, Helloween, Watchtower, Avantasia, Heavenly, bands like this is what prog power is all about.

Hey, See we can get along! LOL. All I'm saying is let's keep this festival what it was meant to be, and that is Progressive Metal and Power Metal. That is it, not Engine who sounds like some alternative/grunge/hard rock/metal, etc... or Anathema.

I would like to see a some bands that have broken up come back together again. Number one on this list would be WATCHTOWER. They are awesome. Number two would be Stormwitch. I would also like to see the German bands Abraxas and Secrecy come back together and play at ProgPower 4 (both bands could be considered BOTH prog and power) but the chances of this happening are about 0.

Savatage would get my vote.. never seen them either (not by choice) and I even live in Florida..

Do they play the US ? surree... but not a lot.

Does Iced Earth? sure, but just 1/3 of it.. their last tour didn't even come close the the southeast.

So both of those bands are not bad choices.. not even close.

Shokrok - sounds like we have similar want lists to see live! hehe

With all the requests for bands.. you can tell that the majority of the people on this board are power metal fans.

is maybe a balanced line up:

Friday:

Mind's Eye (light prog, needs exposure) or Secret Sphere (powerprog)
Andromeda (prog metal/fusion at times)
Ayreon/Star One (prog rock/straight metal, just cool to see live)
Kamelot (power prog)
Fates Warning (prog leaders)

Saturday:

Power of Omens (great stuff)
Enchant (prog metal they are for sure i think)
Adagio (power/neo classical metal)
Evergrey (progpower metal)
Iced Earth (I see this happening anyways)-metal, power

Some of this is biased I know, but some of these bands would be great. Why can't we lean to prog a little :).

I know I'm more of a prog fan, but bands like Kamelot are top notch power metal. Angra is too; it was good to see them play at 3.0.

And, I do think bands like engine and anathema could play at the show. Engine is really straightfoward metal to me, which is not too far from what we've seen at progpower. Anathema may be light, but could fit to. I'm not really a big fan of these bands, but progpower is tough to define.