Band Wishes for PP4

yeah, Savatage would be awesome, as long as we're having bands that tour the US play, i don't think they'd be busy with Trans-Siberian Orchestra at the time of the festival as long as it doesn't move any later into the year.
A band that absolutely no one has mentioned yet that I think would be awesome to see is Iron Savior.
Also, does anyone what the status of Helstar or Destiny's End is at the moment?

Ryan

I saw Iron Saviour at Wacken, and they were horrible! That would be a wasted slot as far as I'm concerned.

Eldritch
Secret Sphere
Tomorrpw's Eve
Labyrinth
Vision Divine
Sonata Arctica
Heavenly
Elsesphere
Valley's Eve
Tunnelvision

I would love to see...
Nevermore
Fates Warning ( I think a show like this would be a good wake up call to them )
Watchtower
Deadsoultribe
Lacuna Coil
Nightwish
Helloween

There are plenty more but it would be cool to see those...

Originally posted by sh0kr0k
Wow, would I ever like to see The Gathering!!! That would be amazing, most certainly!

I think that's a very good idea abotu the DT side-projects! I'd realyl like to see JellyJam & Planet X, but my vote would be for Mullmuzzler (anything to get James in the building!)

~Sh0kr0k~

yeah although 1 thing may be the fact Mullmuzzler was recorded through the mail. OTOH..DT's tour schedule is pretty open since 2003 is not a touring year for them. There is another Mullmuzzler cd in-the-works and James has some other side project I recall as well.

I had the good fortune to see the Gathering when they toured the U.S. for the How to measure a planet CD.
It was most impressive!
maybe for next year we need more of a mix of prog and power, this year was like happy german power metal year. ( which really isn't bad but a nice mix of both would really make my day )

Oh and I would REALLY like to see Ayreon, that would be amazing indeed.

Originally posted by nightwish58
While I love Savatage, I don't agree with having them headline Prog Power. I have seen them over a dozen times. The point of this festival, as I see it, is to allow the fans to experience music that they were previously unable to witness. There are so many great bands out there, mainly from Europe, that would make it pointless to have Savatage, a U.S. band, that tours the States frequently, headline Prog Power.

This is exactly why I am disappointed that Iced Earth is going to be a headliner. I saw them tour with Megadeath, and while it would be nice to hear them play longer, there are at least 30 other bands who don't tour the US who I would love to see.

Also I don't understand why there are not more Virgin Steele fans out there. 6 of my top 10 favorite bands played in ProgPower either this year or last year. But no one seems to want to see my favorite one (Virgin Steele). If you are a power metal fan and you have never heard of them you should give them a listen. They are like Manowar only a million times better and more progressive (although clearly power metal).

That being said, my hopes for future ProgPower Festivals are:

Virgin Steele
Star One
Sonata Artica
Shaman (just heard it, wow)
Therion
Stratovarius
Vision Divine
Luca Turilli (or Rhapsody, although his new solo stuff kicks ass)
Iron Savior
Lost Horizon
Secret Sphere
Labyrinth
Mob Rules
Helloween
Morifade

And I would love to see Edguy, Sym X, or Gamma Ray again

screw all these other types of music.
mixed crowds suck!
make all the bands happy, german, dugga dugga, powermetal! cause thats what America wants and needs!
we have an overload of the stupid, jump up and down, "heavy" bands. every town has at least 20 of them! and we can see that crap on any given weekend for 5 bucks!
lets take the prog out of ProgPower and just have Powermetal USA fest! notice how Edguy got the best crowd response because of that, Tobias Sammet was running around getting the crowd all pumped up with their fists in the air singing along! granted Gamma Ray is better, but that type of music is what is missing in the states. that what we want to see and need to have to be entertained to the fullest extent. straight up dugga dugga! it just has the energy that metal heads love. screw bands like the Devan Townsend band, and boring "heavy" stuff. give us melody, speed, and a chorus we can get drunk and sing along to!
thats what America wants!

I'd like to see:

The Gathering
Nightwish
Iced Earth
Shaman
Sonata Arctica
Vanishing Point
Heavenly
Vanden Plas
Manigance
Angra (ya again!!! haha)

well 1 thing maybe to keep in mind realisticly atleast 1 or 2 of the bands will be on 1 of the labels that are a sponsor. I mean basically the connection and incentive of the Sponsor helps logisticly booking the bands. So chances are PPUSA 4.0 will have atleast 1 band from InsideOut Music and 1 band from Century Media..and maybe 1 band from Sensory Records as well.

"screw all these other types of music.
mixed crowds suck!
make all the bands happy, german, dugga dugga, powermetal! cause thats what America wants and needs!
we have an overload of the stupid, jump up and down, "heavy" bands. every town has at least 20 of them! and we can see that crap on any given weekend for 5 bucks!
lets take the prog out of ProgPower and just have Powermetal USA fest! notice how Edguy got the best crowd response because of that, Tobias Sammet was running around getting the crowd all pumped up with their fists in the air singing along! granted Gamma Ray is better, but that type of music is what is missing in the states. that what we want to see and need to have to be entertained to the fullest extent. straight up dugga dugga! it just has the energy that metal heads love. screw bands like the Devan Townsend band, and boring "heavy" stuff. give us melody, speed, and a chorus we can get drunk and sing along to!
thats what America wants!"

I'm inclined to think you're joking. Please tell me you are.

nope! this is how i honestly feel!
i had the best time at PP3 this year because i got to see a bunch of good powermetal bands that i never get to see on a regular basis. it was so awesome! Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Edguy, and Angra were the reason i paid $80 plus outragious hotel fees, and gas for the 7 hour trip to Atlanta. there are no bands like that in the states. you can't go to your local vanue and see bands like that. all the others, the so called Prog, are just like any other stupid band i can pay $5 to see on any given weekend. BOARING! no excitement, no fist in the the air, and most importantly; NO SING-A-LONG! thats the problem with bands today. and thank goodness bands like the 4 mentioned above are playing catchy music with melody, and i chorus that i can sing along to!

Has anyone else here ever heard of Timescape? I think they'd make an excellent choice for an opening slot one night--they've never played in the States, they should have a new CD out in a few months, and they combine proggy and power elements in their music. Certainly PP has seen some excellent opening acts, but I think they'd fit right in. Anyone else have any thoughts on them?

Shaye

Dream Land Rebel wrote: "all the others, the so called Prog, are just like any other stupid band i can pay $5 to see on any given weekend. BOARING! no excitement, no fist in the the air, and most importantly; NO SING-A-LONG! thats the problem with bands today. and thank goodness bands like the 4 mentioned above are playing catchy music with melody, and i chorus that i can sing along to!"

Your comment above just proves what an ignorant fool you are. Yeah, I'm sure you can pay $5 any time to see bands like Pain of Salvation and Threshold? These bands deserve the world for what they do. They aren't boring (learn how to spell also), they are technical masterminds who create progressive, thoughtful, mind-provoking music. Sorry if you are too simplistic to appreciate their talents. I love power metal as well, but your comment has to be one of the most simple-minded ones I've heard in years! I don't need catchy sing along choruses to appreciate and enjoy a bands talent. Pain of Salvation's performance was simply outstanding. You shouldn't even deserve to be in the same building with a band like that.

Originally posted by Se7enChurches

Also, does anyone what the status of Helstar or Destiny's End is at the moment?

Ryan

Last I heard James Rivera was back with Helstar and drummer Brian Craig was with Seven Witches. I had heard they they broke up and since their website isn't functioning anymore I would assume it's true. Sad really, they were a great band!

Originally posted by lady_space
Has anyone else here ever heard of Timescape? I think they'd make an excellent choice for an opening slot one night--they've never played in the States, they should have a new CD out in a few months, and they combine proggy and power elements in their music. Certainly PP has seen some excellent opening acts, but I think they'd fit right in. Anyone else have any thoughts on them?

Shaye

Yeah, there from Sweden. If they were going to come here I would think they would want a second or third slot to showcase the music a little more. IMO, it would be cool to keep the first slot open for some up and coming American prog or power bands.

BTW, Strange, there 2nd cd is completed. I don't have it yet but I've heard some of the stuff on MP3.com. It's available through Adrenalin Records in Italy.

John

Originally posted by Soundscape
well 1 thing maybe to keep in mind realisticly atleast 1 or 2 of the bands will be on 1 of the labels that are a sponsor. I mean basically the connection and incentive of the Sponsor helps logisticly booking the bands. So chances are PPUSA 4.0 will have atleast 1 band from InsideOut Music and 1 band from Century Media..and maybe 1 band from Sensory Records as well.

With That in mind here's how I see it

Century Media-Iced Earth
Laser's Edge/Sensory- Gordian Knot
Inside Out-Vanden Plas or Flower Kings

That leaves potentially 7 slots open unless the labels promote more than one band.

John

Nightwish58, i have played the technical BS in the past. and yes, it does take a lot of thought. but it gets boring fast! especially live. you don't walk away humming the chorus or a verse melody in your head the next day. the botton line is the reason peole go to concerts is they want to be ENTERTAINED. thats why everybody stood and clapped and chantted with their fists in the air to Edguy. simplistic, yeah. memerable, yeah, fun, hell yeah! even all the people there that had never heard them before, by the time the 2nd chorus came around, they were singing alone too. complexety and technicallity dosen't make a song good. it might prove that the band is talented. but that doesn't mean they can write a good song. Bling Guardian is one of the very few bands that writes good songs that are also technical and complex; and still catchy and memerable at the same time. and yes THEY are musical geniuses. (i probably spelled that wrong too) but they still have the hook and the catch, and the memerable fun songs. and thats what makes any song in any genre of music popular. i've been down that road of technical, brain hurting, anal, complex BS. the bottom line is that its too anal to be fun. and FUN is what concerts and playing music should be all about. i'm not saying that the technical, complex (anal musician) music doesn't have its place. thats what CD's are for. bands like Edguy and Gamma Ray are ment to be seen live. recording just sells records. people come out for the show. they are there to be entertained. they want to clap and sing alone. this is their release from the pain of everyday life. thats my point, FUN! and ENTERTAINMENT!
here I am, entertain Me!