Bands like Orphaned Land (oriental metal etc.)

Dunno whether it's turkish or georgian but it certainly kicks ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw Natacha Atlas was discussed here. Have been listening to her music since I was still in Belgium (where she grew up by the way). Amazing how she fluently mixes Arabesque traditional music with "western vibes", both solo and with the Transglobal Underground.

I saw her live two years ago and had the honour to meet her afterwards and have a brief chat, and pose for a picture with her. She is a very shy lady, quite introvert, but extremely friendly once you start talking to her. She is also an anti-racism ambassador of a big international campaign. Anyone go to the record store, buy some of her stuff and dream away to Arabia while listening to Yalla Chant, Mistaneek, Bastet, Amulet (my favourite) and be amazed how she manages to turn "I put a spell on you" and "Mon amie la rose" into a perfect Arabic sounding song ; amazing covers and totally different from the original versions!

More metal-wise, check Turkey's pioneers Pentagram (outside of Turkey known as Mezarkabul). Metal with Anatolian/Turkish traditional instruments involved. I saw these guys live when I lived in Istanbul, including one gig on the shores of the Bosphorus with the lights of the Asian city part in the distance. Amazing. Most of their songs deal with pride in being Turkish, defending Turkey ("1000 in the Eastland" is about the war in Eastern Turkey for example) ; most songs are in English but their best one in my opinion is the song "Bir" in Turkish. Bir means "one" or in this context "The One", it is about how we should not fear anything because we all come from the same god, and how we should not have our lives dictated by what the imam/priest/rabbi says but experience our connection with god in our own personal ways.

The chorus translates as:

"Don't fear anything, neither life nor death
Because we are one
And we come from one same God"

"Hepsi bir, hepsi Hakk'tan" means "we are one, from one God"
(Hakk is one of the Turkish words for "God", even though in daily speech most people use the Arabic term "Allah")

I also like Merzarkabul and can really recomend them. Their album Anatolia is really cool! They have a good vocalist I think.
Thank you for explaining about their songs, I didnt know that about the song Bir.

Speaking of miss Atlas, when you like this style you probably also know the Israeli singer Achinoam Nini ( she is known as 'Noa' in Europe) Like Shlomit she is of Yemenite descendant and you can really hear that in her voice. Yemenite singers have incredibly powerful voices, being small women. And also Ofra Haza was Yemenite ofcourse.
If you haven't heard any of Noa's cds then try to find the live album ""Noa Live"- DVD/Double CD with Solis Quartet" which was recorded live in Israel in 2005. It has much more Oriental songs than most her albums that are known in Europe and there is a great atmosphere to the recording. I have both the cd and DVD (-:

"Bir" can be seen as "islamic metal", it is a praise to Allah indeed but one that allows headbanging :headbang: The song "Anatolia" (there is an English version which however is less good than the Turkish language one) is about defending Turkey against attacks from outside, pretty much the same subject as their song "1000 in the Eastland".

The most popular Turkish rock band at the moment is Mor Ve Ötesi, who are reknown for their very political lyrics. Many of their songs criticise society in general but also religious influence in politics, and they dared to criticise both Turkish politics and foreign politics in their music (eg the invasion in Iraq was critisised in some of their songs but also local Turkish politics have been subject of several songs). Their music is less hard though but can best be described as "indie rock" IMO. Still cool that a Turkish band can break through despite singing about sensitive subjects, and that they built a fanbase beyond Turkey despite the language barrier (MVÖ sing exclusively in Turkish)

An Israeli band worth checking if you like gothic/darkwave is Sophya (not to be confused with the indie band Sophia). Sophya operate from Amsterdam for recording and often perform in the Benelux, but the founding members Sonya and Ilan are from Israel and still live in Israel. On YouTube you can find some videos for their songs such as "Art", "God Made the Man" and "More" and some free MP3s are offered on www.sophya.net ; the music is not metal at all and is closer to goth and darkwave but it's worth checking IMO. Sonya is a great vocalist (and a real cutie :oops:) and lyrically they are quite interesting. Pity they are not very well known in Israel itself, guess the gothic scene is far smaller than the metal scene.

The most band that really got my attention and i fell in love with is , Balkandji. if anyone have the source from where to download their discography plz plz let me know , iam in need of such music, Balkandji is veery awsome talented group and i will be thankful and appreciate if anyone could help me with a source to download their discography !

Thnx for advance and thnx for the nice amazing topic and the the whole infos and replies !

Hails

Probably nothing metal, but Israeli so I might just as well ask .... Is anyone familiar with Aviv Geffen? I only know 1 or 2 songs of him but after reading his biography and some of the subjects he sings about I got curious to hear more. And he wears about the same make-up as me :) But I'm quite curious to hear some of his work, just not sure what style his music can be described as and which songs are recommendable? According to the biography I read he shares Orphaned Land's believes in a peaceful Middle East in which Israel is living in harmony with its Arab neighbours. Music with such noble message deserves kudos.

I heard some of his songs after checking out Blackfield [which apparently is mostly his songs translated in english]. I guess you would have, but if you haven't check them out!