Bands like Orphaned Land (oriental metal etc.)

Here is a Metal Webzine from Jordan that lists a lot of Jordanian bands
http://www.jorzine.com/default.aspx?page=bands
header3.jpg

Afghanistan now has its first ever rock band. The threepiece grew up abroad but returned home and even when rock music is frowned upon by most Afghans (including authorities) they are determined to introduce their style of music to the Afghan audience. They do sing in English to bypass the problem that multiple languages are spoken in various areas of the countries, and because they want the international community to hear about the Afghan situation. The band is, very idealistically, called Kabul Dreams.

On YouTube are a few videos.

Thanks for this highlight HaTikva. I'm remembering the time I was working in Kabul listening to them. For example, I remember I saw a cool leather clad long haired biker there. Certain things are getting global ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The story of the band moved me really. Because these guys chase a dream and don't let themselves be disencouraged by people who say change won't come anyway and that people won't listen anyway. I often hear the same when I tell people I want to take my own writings to Africa and the Middle East at some point as well: "oh but the taboo on your type of writings is still very big, people won't tolerate it or won't listen anyway" ... I believe that as long as one believes in himself, nothing is impossible. Standing on the barricades for what you believe in gives much more fullfilment than jumping on a bandwagon that's been going for years. It takes guts to be a pioneer but it's a very beautiful thing IMO when someone chases his ideals. Kabul Dreams is one of those examples of people showing that no dream is impossible as long as you believe in it.

Postmodernist, how was life in Kabul? Reports often contradict each other but I read more and more reports that the city is changing into a quite vibrant place, more cosmopolitan and liberal than ever before. Of course, the testimony of someone who actually lived there is worth more than the stories of tens of travellers combined...

Some Orthodox Christian chant + metal. I'm not sure about the performer. Please completely ignore the video, which is irrelevant to the song.

@Hat: It is OK in Kabul as long as you're not taken as American. I'm not sure reconstruction is possible as long as US Army is there having a puppet president and Tajik military commanders oppose Pushto leaders.
The center is quite urbanized still since the Soviet invasion (see the difference at http://www.webpark.ru/comment/58267), there are 2 mobile phone companies and even some social advertisements against opium poppy crops in the city, but most of it is clay shacks, and the city is totally freezing in winter, and there is no wood nor fossils for heating at all; electricity is only available 4 hours per day to the richest people; no sewers outside city center urbanized by USSR. Spring and summer is often sandstorms; the water which most people drink is murky, of a light yellow color; you always see lots or armed men in the streets (part of local "Kalashnikov culture" - every man is expected to be armed to protect himself and family in any situations [as described by my Pushto friend Gul Muntaser]); you always see dozens of beggars in the streets - mostly women, kids and elderly. During the time I was in Kabul a US tank would go through 8 parked taxi cars killing their drivers [no reasons whatever; problems with tank steering mechanism according to official reports, but local people believed the tank driver was drunk]; after that a crowd gathered around the tank and someone would shoot at the crowd [local police according to official reports, but local people believed that were US troops]. Then there were 2 weeks of massive riots in Kabul against all foreign troops, foreign organizations like UN and embassies paralyzed and hiding away. It was 2006.

Dude, let's move this discussion to the main off-topic thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure. It sounds incredibly interesting. How long have you been there? It's a bit like the Gaza Strip. When I tell people I feel fascinated to see how people survive and live in such circumstances, they either say I'm crazy or that I'm some sicko who enjoys the sight of people in misery. That one can just find fascination into the unknown and wanting to understand the situation people are in, without any sort of macabre "disaster tourism" intentions, is something few people understand.

But yes, let's move this to off-topic before we hijack this topic :)

Is there any website available about Israeli darkwave band The Witches (with Imbar Perlmutter, who tragically died in a car accident)? They apparently were epic back in the days, the only band in Israeli making this type of music. I heard some videos on YouTube but oddly enough I find not a single informational website on them (maybe a Hebrew one exists but even searching Google hardly leads to anything, and on Wikipedia there is only a Hebrew page on The Witches and on Perlmutter, no English translation)

Indonesia- Siksakubur, Seringai, Jasad, Tengkorak
Israel- Orphanted Land, Whorecore, Arallu, Raven Music, Salem, Abed
Iran- SDS
India- Exhumation, Kryptos, Prakalp, Bhayanak Maut, Souled Out.

Nervecell (UAE)

Octum (SA)

Zahareth (Jordan)

Absentation (Syria)

Farzad Golpayegani (Iran)

Pirania (Tunisia)

Carnival Of Carnage (Algeria)

Phex (Jordan)

Arcane (Lebanon)

Kimaera (Lebanon)

Ahoora (Iran)

Ayat (Lebanon)

Wow, i've been following this topic for quite some time and I feel like an idiot. I'm amazed by the talent and determination all those bands display. I had no idea of what was going on in the Middle East and Arab world.
Myrath and Ahoora are added to my "to look for in the record store"-list.

Al-Namrood (Saudia Arabia)

Narjhanam ( Kingdom of bahrain )

Deathless Anguish ( saudia Arabia )

here is Deathless Anguish New track Middle Eastren Death metal

Track title : seven nights of wrath

his new album is going to be middle Eastren i think the old one isnt

Check it at http://www.myspace.com/deathlessanguish

Read an article about the underground rock and hardrock scene in Iran this week. It's in Dutch but if someone wants I can post the links. Basically the article says rock musicians have three options in Iran: perform very infrequently in expat locations only, do it all underground (with the difficulties to buy instruments, find musicians and perform without the police finding out) or just leaving Iran alltogether. I admire the bands who still manage to work in this climate.

Is there any rock or metal band from Palestine? (= Gaza Strip or West Bank)

Read an article about the underground rock and hardrock scene in Iran this week. It's in Dutch but if someone wants I can post the links. Basically the article says rock musicians have three options in Iran: perform very infrequently in expat locations only, do it all underground (with the difficulties to buy instruments, find musicians and perform without the police finding out) or just leaving Iran alltogether. I admire the bands who still manage to work in this climate.

Is there any rock or metal band from Palestine? (= Gaza Strip or West Bank)

Funny, I didn't know you could understand Dutch. Kerel, wat een verrassing.
Anyway, I'm very curious about the article. Could you perhaps send or post the links please? Heel erg bedankt.