Bands like Orphaned Land (oriental metal etc.)

Turkey's music scene is very diverse :) Pity that the only Turkish band to have mainstream following abroad, is Mor Ve Ötesi (don't get me wrong, they fully deserve it, they're quite a good band. I'm just saying other great Turkish bands unfortunately don't get the attention they deserve)

Sorry for being nasty and curious again, but what about the Turkish Cypriot music scene? Would it be somewhat halfway Greek and Turkish folk, or would it be distinctively Turkish? I fear though, given the isolation of the country (totally hypocrite by the EU and UN by the way - but let's not dwell into politics) that bands there can hardly get their material released abroad.

Thanks for these highlight fellows. Visa is indeed a great heir to SoaD, and Al-Yaman is quite authentically flavored.

Acrassicauda from "Heavy Metal in Baghdad", first metal band in Iraq and first band recorded in Damask (at least according to their documentary ;) ).

PS: Get their latest EP released in the USA - "Only The Dead See The End Of The War" (2010).

Some extreme black metal from Bahrain:
Dhul-Qarnayn, Qeyamah, Serpent's Briar, Set, Kusoof, Qafas, ØØPart

All projects by Learza, who was recently sentenced to death by the state, they say for satanic practices :erk:

Black metal from Nepal: Cruentus
Black metal from Tajikistan: Spawn of the Matriarch
Black metal from Jamaica (just for the sake of rarity :) ) Orisha Shakpana

Finally, some melodic death-folk metal from Turkey: Constantinopolis

An interesting compilation of Israeli extreme metal - Israheller (1995)
1 Salem - Eyes To Match A Soul
2 Orphaned Land - El Meod Na'ala
3 The Betrayers - Ignorat Mind
4 Human Sector - Beyond the Clouds
5 Enochian Key - By the Coldest Claws
6 Servants' Glory - Pulsa Danura
7 Armageddon - God's Dying Serenade
8 Superior - Believe in Me
9 Enormity - The Tale of Insanity
10 Spirits - Inside My Dream
11 Azazel - Goetia
12 Lehavoth - Gey Ben Henom
13 Mercenary - The Merriment Within

Hey guys, this is what I could think of:
1. Hayko Çepkin - Not exactly metal, but he's got some pretty raw riffs in here (not something you can find in all of his work, though) and he's also quite mainstream, but still:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKQmLyBTnFI&feature=related[/ame]

2. Umut Kuzey - Again, not metal, but he makes such beautiful and emotional music and this is exactly why I've chosen the acoustic version of the song, and not the original pop-rock one:

3. Barış Akarsu - An artist I definitely, wholeheartedly recommend. In my opinion, he used to be one of those most honest and feeling-driven artists in the Turkish music scene. Unfortunately, he died in a car accident three years ago I think, and hadn't it happened, I'm sure he would have still done so many wonderful things, cause he had so much to share.
This is my favorite song by him:

It doesn't have the typical Oriental beat and scales, it has musical influences from the Karadeniz (Black Sea) region of Turkey.
Enjoy!

As well, thank you all for the suggestions, I'm gonna take my time now and listen to all of them! :)

Last edited by a moderator: