Bands that Actually Got Heavier Over Time

UltimateApathy

Infinite Idiocy
Dec 10, 2012
Path Of The Misanthrope
We all know how it is: 99% of all bands tend to start out as the heaviest they'll ever be and either gradually or dramatically calm down from there, whether due to commercial aspirations, label pressure, or just simply getting old, dull, and boring. But in this topic we aren't talking about those shit-headed bands, we're talking about the rare breed of band that actually gets heavier over time. Such an occurrence is in fact so rare that I even had difficulty coming up with examples, but I managed to think of a few:

Abigail Williams (early):

Abigail Williams (later):

Machine Head (early):

Machine Head (later):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Hkwx6oCdg&index=1&list=PLcn3x4r1fLxAG6jEK5bQA-XIDx0YHhny_[/ame]

Cradle of Filth (early):

Cradle of Filth (later):

Got more?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't really notice much difference between the two... I'm looking for bands that started out as, say, Thrash, Traditional, or Power Metal and progressed to, say, Death or Black Metal later. I don't even know if such a thing has ever really happened, but it certainly happens a lot in the opposite direction...

They went from party thrash to actual thrash which is heavier in my opinion. The lyrics got darker and the riffage as well.

Also Thrash is heavier than Power and Trad. Pantera is an example.

Power/Trad

Groove/Thrash

First that came to mind were pantera and dram theatre. Judas priest.

Testament, though ive not heard anything theyve done in a while.

Porcupine tree did that shitty wannabe meshuggah but still rock album. And they/he transformed from soft rock ambient crap to rock/metal.

Celtic frost/TGF.

Laaz Rockit. Went from Trad with come cheesy glamy choruses to Thrash.

Too lazy to post videos, but Averse Sefira got much heavier as they progressed.

We all know how it is: 99% of all bands tend to start out as the heaviest they'll ever be and either gradually or dramatically calm down from there, whether due to commercial aspirations, label pressure, or just simply getting old, dull, and boring. But in this topic we aren't talking about those shit-headed bands, we're talking about the rare breed of band that actually gets heavier over time. Such an occurrence is in fact so rare that I even had difficulty coming up with examples, but I managed to think of a few:

Your mom got heavier over time.

Don't really notice much difference between the two... I'm looking for bands that started out as, say, Thrash, Traditional, or Power Metal and progressed to, say, Death or Black Metal later. I don't even know if such a thing has ever really happened, but it certainly happens a lot in the opposite direction...

satan's host i guess, although their earlier stuff was wilder and crazier despite being 'trad'

I like the early stuff a lot more, i hardly ever listen to triptykon, but it sounds 'heavier' to me.

I don't agree that Machine Head got heavier with time. You just posted a song from their nu metal album, The Burning Red, which is their third album. They started off with Burn My Eyes and The More Things Change, which are their heaviest albums. Then only The Blackening, off which you posted a song can be called 'heavy', but actually not that heavy as their debut and its successor.

I can think of Neurosis being a band which got heavier with time. Starting as a hardcore punk band and peaking with their pinnacle, Through Silver in Blood.

I don't agree that Machine Head got heavier with time. You just posted a song from their nu metal album, The Burning Red, which is their third album. They started off with Burn My Eyes and The More Things Change, which are their heaviest albums. Then only The Blackening, off which you posted a song can be called 'heavy', but actually not that heavy as their debut and its successor.

Yeah, that is their nu-metal phase. I think they did two nu-metal records before going back to metal. I have heard the first two albums and they're pretty solid 90's metal albums. For the style they are.

D.R.I. is one of the first bands that comes to my mind.

First Judas Priest album was hard rock, so i guess they can be mentioned here too.

I'm looking for bands that started out as, say, Thrash, Traditional, or Power Metal and progressed to, say, Death or Black Metal later.

There's tons of thrash and even trad that are far heavier than a lot of black metal.

seconded

and ya i wouldn't dispute triptykon or w/e being heavier than early frost, but that's just a timely demonstration that how 'heavy' something is doesn't fucking matter