25 ways to know you are a newb/poseur/or just plain ignorant about metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone is the same as they believe in their tastes and not everyone is going to agree with what is good music or nor. The thing is how you present this when in discussions that could stick you out like a sore thumb.

Some of us slip but this user is incredibly consistant.

Holly.R.Wells said:
who the hell thinks slayer is death metal? lol that was just fucking stupid. Whoever posts on here has to have listened to slayer ATLEAST once....well... id like to think....

Slayer can easily be categorised as at least a proto-death band, it just depends on where you draw the line.

Hell Awaits is not so different from the early Death bands. Frankly, a lot of early Death and Black Metal could just as easily been classified as Thrash, and had Hell Awaits been their debut album, it may have been heralded as a landmark Death Metal album.

I agree.

Hell Awaits to me is not any different if at all from death metal albums like say possessed 'seven churches' or death 'scream blood gore'.

I would almost say that Hell Awaits is closer to Death Metal than is Seven Churches, really.

Necuratul said:
I would almost say that Hell Awaits is closer to Death Metal than is Seven Churches, really.

Maybe but Seven Churches vocals are closer to a growl than Slayer's are on Hell Awaits so IMO Seven Churches is more death metal than Hell Awaits.

DER DER VOCALS ARE SO IMPORTANT DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER

Vocals don't mean shit.

Hell Awaits in particular. The song structures and the riff stylings are very Death Metal oriented, especially for the era, and came to influence legions of Death Metal bands later on. Possessed as well, but Possessed seemed to be a more chaotic speed/thrash barrage, unlike any other at the time of course. It was among the pinnacles of extremity for its time, and rather unique. It is still rather unique today.

I think both bands are more thrash than death actually. I just think Possessed is a little more death sounding than Slayer. That's just my opinion don't go on another rampage.

i'd join the conversation but i have to bash consuming impulse:
he is the most ignorant prick in all of metaldom and is so closeminded listening to nothing but thrash and old school death metal...if i were him i would dive headfirst into a pit of pitchforks and dead cannibal baby zombies

The only thing you say that annoys me is your insistance that vocals are a major ingredient in classifying Metal into genres.

vocals are an important ingredient but if you had death vocals with bongos and a banjo that wouldn't be death metal so instrumentals are even more important, though thrash instrumentals with black vocals would be classified as black metal by most people or techdeath instrumentals with power metal vocals would be considered more death metal so vocals and instruments both matter

Instrumentation and lyrics dictates a genre more than vocals imo.

It's definitely not the main ingredient. I think Children of Bodom (I know you probably hate them) are power metal because of the instruments even though they use harsh vocals reminiscent of black metal. There's definitely to much wankery to logically put COB under black metal. Possessed have the "evil" sounding riffs accompanied with growls to make them sound what death metal generally sounds like.

Possessed evil sounding riffs(like the one in the exorcist) remind me of black metal more than death metal. Possessed does have a song called 'death metal' though so i'm wrong.

Consuming Impulse said:
25 ways to know you are a newb/poseur/or just plain ignorant about metal.

1. You think Pantera and Fear Factory are mallcore because some of there fans are mallcore kiddies.
2. You think Cradle of Filth are black metal.
3. You think Opeth is the greatest band ever.
4. You think Cannibal Corpse started death metal in 2001.
5. You dont know who King Diamond is.
6. You dont pay attention to Megadeth and Anthrax because your jizzing over Lamb of God, Killswitch Engaged, and Opeth all the time.
7. You think Trivium is thrash metal.
8. You think Nirvana influenced metal.
9. You think VH1 knows metal yet they dont say a word about Mercyful Fate, Death, Kreator, Bathory, Sodom, King Diamond, Behemoth, Candlemass, Hellhammer, Pestilence, etc.
10. You think Machine Head was always mallcore.
11. You think Slayer went mallcore because mallgoths talk about them now and they mostly tour with mallcore bands.
12. If your a smartass who praises Opeth and other melodic death metal bands.
13. You think Sweden is the capital of metal.
14. You only know Meshuggah because they played at Ozzfest once.
15. If you deny that Atreyu, Trivium, and It Dies Today are emo or emoish.
16. You think Fear Factory is nu metal because they don't have any solos.
17. You think talking shit about Limp Bizkit still impresses people.
18. If you think Death weren't good after their demos or Scream Bloody Gore.
19. You think Groove Metal is mallcore.
20. You think Avenged Sevenfold is metal because they say they are.
21. If you think Slayer is death metal.
22. You dont agree with most of things that have been said on this rant or if your completely offended by it.
23. If you think Hatebreed is the heaviest band ever.
24. You get a hard on watching Headbangers Ball.
25. If you dont think Lemmy is God.

26. You think consuming impulse shouldn't be banned.

BlackSeedsOnVirginSoil said:
There's nothing wrong with Opeth man, fuck.
I don't think they're the greatest band ever, and yes they've sold out now.
But Mikael Akerfeldt has loads of talent and stop using them as a n00b band.
N00b metal bands are; Slipknot, Korn, NU Metallica, Atreyu, Trivium, Machine Head etc.

How the fuck did Opeth sellout every album is the same. (good and a bad thing) Just the production got better as well as the musicianship.

Status
Not open for further replies.