Something you are not all gonna appreciate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

opethmaniac

Feb 19, 2003
Visit site
...coz it's about Slipknot..
I don't stop reading they play some kind of death metal...wtf ? Morbid Angel is death metal...as well as Cannibal Corpse , Nile , Death , Decapitated , Vader , Dark Tranquility , Soilwork , The Berzerker , Mortican , Nasum etc etc...they all play different kinds of death metal , i agree...i could have added Opeth , In Flames , Children Of Bodom..but i really can't see any links between Slipknot and Death Metal..anyway, do you really think Death Metal could be play on radio ? do you really think that young teenagers ( i mean, 10,11 or 12 years old) could like Death Metal ?
Don't take it wrong , i used to be kinda into Slipknot when the first album was released..i think they're not now an OK band (the newest album is not that bad at all even if i think the "surprising effect" is gonna decrease in a couple of weeks) but i don't really think that growling vocals , double bass drums , some kind of heavy riffs (compared to Marduk , they are balads !!) and d-tuned guitars are enough to say that a band plays death metal..

Slipknot is about as heavy as the mainstream usually hears and they're aware of some really extreme, heavy genre called Death Metal so they just categorise Slipknot as that.

Death Metal can never be mainstream because it's too much of an aqquired taste. The average person can't really....I dunno...stomach it I guess as it's considered too heavy, too growly etc... I'm not too bothered really because from a slightly elitest point of view I'd prefer it not to be really popular and on the radio.

If Opeth is Death Metal, then Possessed and Death created Polka.

No comment on N*flamz, Children of Bodom, Slipknot, etc.

Slipknot aren't Death metal. I'm a big fan and I wouldn't call them Death metal at all. They do have Death metal influences, and the drumming is what you would find in some Black and Death metal bands.

Songs like Three nil, Eeyore, People=shit, Heretic Anthem, Blister Exists and Disasterpiece would be the closest the band would be to Death Metal..

They are, however the closest the mainstream will get to Death Metal, they bring a lot of fans to the scene in the end, people who would probably never hear of underground metal if it wheren't for the band, like me 3 odd years ago for example.

To an uneducated mainstream metal listener, I would say they are the closest the mainstream is getting to Death Metal.

So, instead of writing that awfully punctuated couple of paragraphs, you could have just said "Do you think Slipknot's death metal just because of their detuned guitars, growled vocals, double bass drums and heavy riffs? I don't, although I like them. Do you think that Slipknot kiddies would like real death metal, or that it could be played on the radio?"

And even then it would be a pretty crappy topic that's been discussed countless times before. The answers are 'no' and 'not for the right reasons'. Also, half the bands you listed aren't death metal, and your description of Slipknot leaves a bit to be desired.

Guardian of Darkness said:
So, instead of writing that awfully punctuated couple of paragraphs, you could have just said "Do you think Slipknot's death metal just because of their detuned guitars, growled vocals, double bass drums and heavy riffs? I don't, although I like them. Do you think that Slipknot kiddies would like real death metal, or that it could be played on the radio?"

And even then it would be a pretty crappy topic that's been discussed countless times before. The answers are 'no' and 'not for the right reasons'. Also, half the bands you listed aren't death metal, and your description of Slipknot leaves a bit to be desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.