what's whith all these genres?

grindfanboy

New Metal Member
Oct 5, 2014
i don't understand the difference between grindcore, goregrind and powerviolence i don't understand why they are all so arguable!

they are all 'grind' one way or another!

another thing, why does everyone say 'Brutal Death Metal'? i think you mean Death Metal, and death metal is thrash influenced

Brutal death metal is typically used to refer to a style of death metal in which the thrash influence is either entirely absent or extremely minimal. Just because you don't understand these terms doesn't mean they're completely arbitrary.

That said, if you just want to stick with the main trad-power-thrash-death-black-doom classification scheme and ignore subgenres I doubt anyone will give you shit for it.

If you can't understand the difference between goregrind and powerviolence then you're retarded.

i don't understand the difference between grindcore, goregrind and powerviolence i don't understand why they are all so arguable!

they are all 'grind' one way or another!

another thing, why does everyone say 'Brutal Death Metal'? i think you mean Death Metal, and death metal is thrash influenced

tell me about it

That said, if you just want to stick with the main trad-power-thrash-death-black-doom classification scheme and ignore subgenres I doubt anyone will give you shit for it.

Except that those you listed don't even encompass all the basic metal genres.

I wouldn't consider any of those to be fundamental genres. Prog metal like Dream Theater and Symphony X is just a particularly self-indulgent form of heavy metal. "Symphonic" is a modifier attached to other genres, like black metal or death metal or whatever. Avant-garde is in no way a unified genre.

Folk, gothic, and industrial metal are all hybrids that draw heavily on non-metal elements. The stereotypical jollyfolk sound draws on melodic death and power metal cliches, gothic metal largely draws on doom and traditional metal, etc.

These are sub-genres (with the exception of avant-garde, symphonic, and debatably progressive), and they're excellent examples of why sub-genres are useful, but I would absolutely place them a step below the genres I named in a heavy metal taxonomy.

They're good examples of why sub-genres are pretty necessary. For example, I don't see how you adequately describe Tristania without using the term "gothic metal."

flowery doom wank for weepy single mums?

that's hardly the point from my perspective, anyways. there's a difference between describing and categorising. in the '80s everyone would say brocas helm were folk-tinged heavy metal, but nobody needed 'folk metal' to become a genre blueprint, because nobody NEEDED genre blueprints unless a movement came along that was just completely different in composition, tone and attitude. this desire to invent new genres for every vaguely new thing that comes along is a product of consumer culture infiltration, the focus being on packaging everything as new and shiny and modern and innovative, even though beneath the glitter and the gimmicks it's almost always just a soulless version of the same shit (or, in many superficially 'experimental' cases, another genre's same shit). if people have to use genre tags for the vaguest differences then fine, i'm coming around to the idea it's more of a symptom than a cause anyways, but i encourage all modern metalheads to keep in touch with the genre's history, recognise how new bands relate to old traditions, not get caught up in this obsession with an illusory 'newness'.

flowery doom wank for weepy single mums?

I said "adequately," by which I mean without blatant bias. Why not just say "poopy-pants metal?"

In any case, you sound like an old fogey. And I think you give fans of these newfangled genres way to little credit. For example, ff someone listens to a lot of folk metal, it usually amounts to personal tastes, not because they are taken in by some "gimmick." As of right now, there are 2,473 bands listed under the folk/viking genre on Metal-archives, and Skyclad, one of the progenitors of the genre, has been around since 1990. I think the novelty factor has worn off enough that the music has to stand on its own merits.

Skyclad are barely a metal band after the first album or two, nor do they really have much in common with the whole jollyfolk scene.

They're good examples of why sub-genres are pretty necessary. For example, I don't see how you adequately describe Tristania without using the term "gothic metal."

That's why I always defend subgenre classification. It's not about forcing bands into boxes, it's having a way to describe them. The words carry with them an understood type of sound, so you can hash together a description from it. It's good when you're recommending bands to people and when trying to figure out new bands that sound like one you like.

I mean they're all "black metal" but you're a lunatic if you try to claim that Deafheaven, 1349, Paysage d'Hiver, and Belphegor have the same aesthetic to them. That's why we classify.

^ Yarp. These detailed classifications are only offensive/unpleasant to people who aren't interested in discovering new bands. Definitely makes life easier, and how fortunate that we all belong to a website where we can use these descriptions and classifications without people thinking we're total douches. Because god fuckin knows I can't IRL. Not enough people as into the shit, they'd think I was pretentious when I'm just trying to describe something in less than a sentence.

But to be fair, there's some really stupid shit out there. I think I heard Mastodon referred to as whalecore once.