Carcass - Death or Grindcore

Stormwatch

Cock.
May 2, 2003
Fortress of Arrogance
Okay, everyone knows the story - the Carcass album "Necroticism" is a grindcore classic. But there's always arguments about whether "Heartwork" is grindcore or death metal. I can't see much difference between the two albums myself, so to me they're grindcore. But, could someone explain to me how one is grind and the other isn't? What's the difference?
:erk:

Personally, I thought Necroticism was a lot closer to death metal than grindcore myself. The song structures and riffage were more considered and they took their foot off the gas a bit on that album. I reckon the only grindcore albums Carcass did were Reek Of Putrefaction and Symphonies Of Sickness. As for the question, though - compare the title track from Heartwork to, for instance, A Welcome Breeze Of Stinking Air by Nasum, I Will Nail You In by Abaddon Incarnate, or even anything by Rotten Sound. That's the difference between that album and grindcore, right there. :D

1st two: Grindcore.
Necrotisicm: Death metal.
Heartwork: Melodic death metal.
Swansong: Heavy metal.

If you think NDTI is Grindcore you don't know what the term means.

The Reek Of Putrefaction and Symphonies Of Sickness are goregrind; grindcore with gore lyrics. Necroticism and Hearthwork are melodic death metal, and Swansong is not death metal; hardly even metal.

Necro Joe said:
Necroticism is just straight up death metal, not melo-death.
You think? It doesn't resemble the Gothenburg melo-death sound like Heartwork kind of does, but it is still melodic death metal to me, and not straight up blasting brutal death.

Death metal does not have to be blasting and brutal, bands like Dismember, Necrophobic and Atheist didn't use excessive speed and no one ever calls them melodic death metal. Necrotisicm is catchy and has great melodic leads but it is still just straight up death. Even MA didn't use blasting all the time.

I'm not a genre expert, but I agree that Necroticism isn't a grind album. The songs are longer and more structured like death metal, and you can clearly hear the difference if you compare it to their first album. Their first two albums had the most grind, but with each album it seems like they went with a more melodic/death metal approach and lost the grind parts. I don't think Swansong is quite death metal... the vocals are still rough, but not quite so deep and growled, and the music has more of a rock influence than anything they previously did. Maybe "death rock".