Bands that should be known, dammit!

MadeInNewJersey

nursing my wounds
Apr 15, 2002
The Ridge
www.discogs.com
Is it an original thread? No, it's not.

But there's far too much good metal out there for everyone to keep track of. So tell us who we should know about!

My first entry is Dark Fortress. They OWN. And their new album - Profane Genocidal Creations - is an a riff-monster that hasn't been seen in a long, long time.

I hear you Erik, I was in fact worried about how they'd sound considering that some yahoo on the Red Stream site wrote a review in which he described them as "symphonic and melodic" - I immediately thought Oh No! What did I buy?

Let it suffice to say that they sound nothing like Dimmu Borgir. For starters, the riffs own.

You know I think Into Eternity needs mores attention. I just caught their show last week with Dying Fetus, Hate Eternal and Kataklysm and they fucking smoke!!!! Great dual lead guitars,great death and clean vox, its proggy, thrashy and melodic alot of what I look for in my metal!!!

www.intoeternity.com

Killer forum here dudes, now I got another fuckign place to come too!! Fuck!! LOL

Bear

Bear said:
You know I think Into Eternity needs mores attention. I just caught their show last week with Dying Fetus, Hate Eternal and Kataklysm and they fucking smoke!!!! Great dual lead guitars,great death and clean vox, its proggy, thrashy and melodic alot of what I look for in my metal!!!

http://www.intoeternity.com

Killer forum here dudes, now I got another fuckign place to come too!! Fuck!! LOL

Bear

Hey Bear! How's it going? Long time no write/speak, heh. Welcome to our forum and check out the site. Of course your opinion means a lot to us.

Also, I assume you're going to ProgPower this year? I heard about your Opeth experience out in San Fran...:eek:

P.S. Totally agree about Into Eternity - one of the few bands that (after one listen) made me go to their website and sign their guest book. We should try and get an interview with them.

Hey Jay!!!! Hell yeah I am going to PPUSA, got my GB confirmation today,woooooot!!!!!

Also going to go to The Brave Words fest as well, that should be a ripper too!!!!

Yeah been to the site, it looks great, awesome job!! Cool interview with Henry that rules!!!Yeah The Opeth gig was a fiasco, its the same place I saw Into Eternity last week at. They always over sell that place to the point where its friggen unbearable (hehe) I bailed early becuase ,well I couldn't even get to the friggen bar, it was so packed. I like shows where you at least going to have room, at teh bar man,fuck :headbang:

Anyways got a cool show coming up next month, Halford, Death Angel, Testament and some others, that show is going to kick ass!!!

Bear

PS: Is there a way to have the instant notification by e-mail /subscription turned off???

Bear said:
Hey Jay!!!! Hell yeah I am going to PPUSA, got my GB confirmation today,woooooot!!!!!

What's up brother-man? Got mine today too! :cool:

Yeah been to the site, it looks great, awesome job!! Cool interview with Henry that rules!!!

Excellent, glad you think so. JayK worked his tail off on that shit literally. Maybe get Henry & the Pooch-er over to say hello, you know, when they're not nursing beers per usual!

PS: Is there a way to have the instant notification by e-mail /subscription turned off???

I believe that the only way to do it is to make sure you un-click the check-box under the "reply" text box. Otherwise, there should be an unsubscribe option in the body of the actual email notification you receive, though it's been spotty at actually working. I've already notified Mark about it. Anyway, good seeing you stopping by bro.

Hey - here's a question without pissing anyone off in the progpower forum.

What does a gold badge offer other than getting in early? Don't get me wrong, I have a gold badge, and I don't want to give that up because avoiding the line is worth it alone.

However, I distinctly remember being told that gold badge members were allowed to get into the pre-party for FREE, and BEFORE anyone else to mingle with the bands.

Well, all the GB members paid to get in to the preparty last year and alongside any old 'joe blow' without a gold badge!

Am I imagining those other benefits?

JayKeeley said:
However, I distinctly remember being told that gold badge members were allowed to get into the pre-party for FREE, and BEFORE anyone else to mingle with the bands.

Well, all the GB members paid to get in to the preparty last year and alongside any old 'joe blow' without a gold badge!

Am I imagining those other benefits?

Ali, perhaps you were already hammered by the time we got to the pre-party, but we were allowed into the venue nearly 90 minutes before the gen.pub. Maybe it didn't seem that way because there were quite a few Gold Badge holders who opted to take advantage of this and go early. But we were definitely in the place before everyone else.

npearce said:
I think Watchmaker needs more recognition. I can't believe a strong label hasn't picked them up.

2 parts to this: first off, *most* bands need more recognition, so I can't disagree with you there. However, Watchmaker hasn't been picked up by a strong label because (and this is based entirely on your description to me at an earlier date) that style simply has little-to-no mass appeal. And by mass, I mean even within the metal underground. As long as the Dark Tranquillity's, Iced Earth's, Cannibal Corpse's, and Immortal's of the world are around, the labels just aren't going to promote difficult to absorb grindy, WAY-underground metal.

I'm not making a judgement about their music; I've still never heard it. I'm just telling it like it is.

Actually, Watchmaker are on Dreamcatcher in the UK. They don't have a label in the US. They got Wonderdrug to release 'Kill.Crush.Destroy.'. So technically, they don't even have a label in the US anymore. Relapse has stuff like Agoraphobic Nosebleed that is limited to a pretty narrow audience. Watchmaker would have similar appeal. Although, they are much more traditional in their approach to metal.

Ahh, see, now I didn't know that. Though I'm certain I've seen the Kill.Crush.Destroy. album at my local metal shop; hell, I was even tempted to purchase it, but then decided against it at the last minute. Should I? Is that what you're telling me?

Getting to another topic that speaking to you reminds me of, that same store just got a .hopesfall. album and EP in stock; the sticker on the front made the band sound like fucking emo-hardcore. Is that close?

And lastly, another band I've always wanted to hear and for some reason can NEVER find on these shores is a little-known UK band called Riffmaster General. They're supposed to be a wonderful mixture of 1980s traditional metal and thrash w/ a modern twist, heavy on the, uh, riffs.

markgugs said:
And lastly, another band I've always wanted to hear and for some reason can NEVER find on these shores is a little-known UK band called Riffmaster General. They're supposed to be a wonderful mixture of 1980s traditional metal and thrash w/ a modern twist, heavy on the, uh, riffs.

I've heard good things about Riffmaster General. And the name is cool too.

markgugs said:
Ahh, see, now I didn't know that. Though I'm certain I've seen the Kill.Crush.Destroy. album at my local metal shop; hell, I was even tempted to purchase it, but then decided against it at the last minute. Should I? Is that what you're telling me?

Getting to another topic that speaking to you reminds me of, that same store just got a .hopesfall. album and EP in stock; the sticker on the front made the band sound like fucking emo-hardcore. Is that close?

.hopesfall. is sometimes referred to as screamo, which is basically emo hardcore. In the case of .hopesfall., it would be like calling Arcturus black metal. Yes they have elements of black metal, but they are not a black metal band.

.hopesfall. combines indie rock with melodic metal and more aggressive metalcore. They can go from sounding like 'Jupiter' era Cave In to Anathema to Earth Crisis. They do it very fluidly, though.

As far as Watchmaker goes? Hmmm. I think you would not be down with them. They are sort of old-school metal sounding, but they attack the listener with PURE hate and spite. They are supposed to be re-releasing 'Kill.Crush.Destroy.' with better production.

Too bloody right! :D

BLAZE live album out in exactly a week, eh? Right, I'll be getting that no questions asked....in France ^_^