bands that your a fan of that Dan has produced?

Firefest9

Hypocrisy rules!!!!!
Jan 18, 2002
Las Cruces, NM
Visit site
here are some of mine:

Gates of Ishtar-The dawn of Flames(very good cd from a very dissection-sounding band. i think this was the last cd to be recorded at Unisound)

godgory-their first two cd's were produced by dan and are very good. I think the first is a little better due to the "real" drum sound.

Dissection-no description needed

Opeth-read the above statement

What are the band you like produced by Dan?

All the stuff of his own bands/projects that he's recorded/produced

Opeth - Orchid and Morningrise - fucking powerful music, dunno what else to say

Katatonia - everything he produced by them

October Tide - Jonas (Katatonia vocalist)'s side project, very good melancholic death/doom metal

Diabolical Masquerade - Blakkheim's crazy horror/black metal sideproject, pretty good stuff

Dissection - RHEEHEHEHEH

Can't think of most of the bands he's worked with, but I'm sure I know many more of them.

I think the band Dan has done the most for as a producer is Millencolin. And of course his very important, but anonymous work on Marillions "Seasons End"... OH NO! Mind control! He's transposing deepest, most depraved fantasies with me against my will!! I wonder if he, at this very moment, is telling some poor, unsuspecting costumer about how he dreams about publishing dictionaries?!

:)

In addition to the many listed above: The first two albums by Theatre of Tragedy were recorded by Dan (unless my memory fails me) and the second one, "Velvet Darkness They Fear", is still very good.

-Villain

No offense to Dan, but if you compare the production on Brave Murder Day with Sounds of Decay... well... how do I say this... Sunlight wins. :)

And to answer the question... Opeth's Morningrise... it sounds like a real album, rather than the overprocessed ickyak that came later... and the Unisound era definitely kicked the crap out of the MAYH production. :) Hell, I still want to have De Farfalla's children after what he sounded like on the first Opeth albums... I certainly don't have THAT reaction after many bass performances, I must say!

Jim LotFP said:
No offense to Dan, but if you compare the production on Brave Murder Day with Sounds of Decay... well... how do I say this... Sunlight wins. :)
Sorry if I misunderstood, but are you saying that Sounds of Decay has a better production?

No offense but in my opinion the production on Brave Murder Day is the greatest thing ever achieved along with Amorphis - Elegy. It's the 'feel' on these albums that make them untouchable.

I do like Sounds of Decay but my favourite Katatonia CDs have always been BMD, Dance of December Souls and For Funerals to Come.

Dissection, Opeth, Ribspreader, Katatonia (bigger fan of newer though)

Plus he's like a member of Ribspreader, but he doesn't write anything and won't join them live, so I see him more as the producer than a member.

Cool to see you guys discussing the soundwork. I still haven't made up my mind of what sounds good or bad..because everytime I hear an album that sounds just like I wish my recordings had done, they all sound 'perfect' and in a way 'boring'. All my fave albums by other artists have 'bad' or 'strange' sound and that's why I always went for a feeling and tweaked the knobs differently for almost every album...I love the sound of ' Sad wings of destiny' even "sin after sin",..'stained class' and 'killing machine' sounds soooooo good, when 'british steel' and yuuuuccckkk like 'ram it down' and 'painkiller' sounds awful...but to the average metal fan those albums sound better...more bass, more treble, more punchy drums, more distortion on the guitars etc. I think the production is important for the vibe, to paint the picture...I always thought all black metal bands sounds too nice to be portaying the pits of hell....

D

I'm SO with Dan on this one! It's like how Mikael of Opeth hates Orchid and Morningrise production because they're not clean enough and stuff, but those are by FAR my two favourite produced albums of theirs, so much more raw and energetic, so much more strange and magical. It gives albums a little edge, not having them too clean. This is extreme metal, not mainstream radio rock!

Ha, forgot about the first October Tide disc. That one is fantastic!
Also Katatonia Brave Murder Day is great, but i think the Sunlight Studio's sound fits them just a little better i think.

Yeah...
The last day I thought about a thread ( which I think we already had ) with listed Dan-Swanö-Outputs in all the ways which Mr. Swanö was involved :)
Right...now there is another thread in that way.

GODGORY - Shadow's Dance
is a real fucking great Album. I love this atmosphere in this album. It's one of this albums I called a unique one ;) Sometimes the drumcomputer is little bit too clean. But a very nice recording...I love it.

NASUM - Human 2.0
another great fucking album. In which way Swanö was involved in this? I forgot it.

GODSEND - A wayfarer's tear
great atmosphere. This album is real great. I count this album to Swanö greatest ( in which he is involved ).

KATATONIA - Dance of december souls
a cult album. Oldschool...and very nice. Yeah...pure cult.

NON SERVIAM - ???
somewhere I read that Mr.Swanö was involved in one of this albums. Don't know if it's real and in which way. I read only greetings to Asa and Swanö in the booklet.

DIABOLICAL MASQUERADE - Nightwork
Diabolical Masquerade is a very fucking nice sideproject. And this album I think is still their greatest output. Close after that cames Death's Design that was planed as a soundtrack(sampler) for this film which never came out. :(

Though most BM purists will scoff at the name, Marduk is still one of my favorite bands, and if I'm not mistaken, Dan produced one of their albums... I want to say it was their "Dark Endless" LP but I'm not certain. Any one know?