bands that your a fan of that Dan has produced?

jester00 said:
not sure that mikael ever said he disliked the production on orchid or morningrise....

He dislikes the bass production, other then that I think he's fine with it.

I think the production is good on Morningrise and Orchid yea, but I think it's better on later albums. Also DeFarfalla doesn't get much credit for the bass lines as I believe Mikael wrote most of 'em, but the active bass really kicks ass and is somethign Opeth should look into again

It's cool how even the production tastes are so individual

Novembre first 2 albums were also recorded by master swano. And I'll kidnap Master Dan Swano and force him to produce the upcomming album of my band. Ei, wait a minute, would Swano and Wilson work as production team mates?

jester00 said:
not sure that mikael ever said he disliked the production on orchid or morningrise....

I read it in the Opeth FAQ on the subject of Mikael's distaste for TNATSW that he disliked many things about "Morningrise" and one of them was the production.
I personally do not find anything wrong with the production on "Morningrise" but then again, I've never recorded. I'd say my personal favorite out of the albums Dan produced only was Opeth's Morningrise because I find it to be a masterpiece, not because the productions great.

Jim LotFP said:
No offense to Dan, but if you compare the production on Brave Murder Day with Sounds of Decay... well... how do I say this... Sunlight wins. :)

And to answer the question... Opeth's Morningrise... it sounds like a real album, rather than the overprocessed ickyak that came later... and the Unisound era definitely kicked the crap out of the MAYH production. :) Hell, I still want to have De Farfalla's children after what he sounded like on the first Opeth albums... I certainly don't have THAT reaction after many bass performances, I must say!
ok well almost all of the bass on morningrise was done by Mikael not Farfalla

morningstar said:
Ei, wait a minute, would Swano and Wilson work as production team mates?
I'm more curious about who would in in a fight! :lol:

I much prefer Swano's production over Wilson's. Wilson just knows nothing about metal.

But on topic, the only one's I realy know about are Marduk, Dissection and Opeth, all of which are bloody good.

x3x opeth x2x said:
ok well almost all of the bass on morningrise was done by Mikael not Farfalla
Uh, no - while Åkerfeldt indeed wrote most of the bass-lines on Morningrise (and Orchid), it was DeFarfalla who played all of them with his own unique style. You can clearly hear the difference, if you compare the playing on Morningrise and My Arms, Your Hearse (where Mikael indeed played the bass himself). I much preferred DeFarfallas funky style, while I must admit Mendez is great as well.

-Villain

Sorry if it bothers anyone to revive this thread--but Opeth is the reason I first wandered over to this board.

I am wondering which album's production (of those Dan was involved in) people like the best...Orchid or Morningrise, and why.

Personally, I go for Orchid. Are there a lot of problems? Definitely, yes, but this is a debut album, so some of that goes with the territory. But the reverb-saturated, atmospheric approach really works well.

While Morningrise is a bit more "professional" in my opinion, and gets definite credit for that, the production swings all the way to the other extreme and becomes rather dry. It seems like all reverb is gone, except for a few places. I know others may not mind it so much, but those twin guitars kinda grate on me after a whole album. Still, I give Dan credit for catching the things that might not have worked out so well on Orchid.

What do you guys think?