bands who influenced NWOBHM

LivingCadaver

Cause à effet.
Apr 27, 2006
Montréal, Qc, Canada
Yea basically if some of you know some good old Blues bands or some others bands that influenced bands like Black Sabbath (or Pentagram even if they're not from Britain) it would be greatly appreciated!

If you want to name drop Sabbath ripoff fell free to do it as well (I already know the Sword, Burning Saviours and some others).

Well first of all Sabbath (and Pentagram of course) are not NWOBHM. I don't have any idea of what Iommi exactly listened to, except of course The Beatles.
As for Sabbath "ripoffs" ... The Sword and Burning Saviours are not Sabbath ripoffs at all. The mighty trio of bands whose music is incredibly (dangerously close to becoming "ripoff" but i wouldnt call them like that cause it's unfair to their brilliance) similar to the Sabbath sound andkick all kinds of ass is the following:

Terra Firma (prefer "Harms Way")
Sheavy ("Electric Sleep" is the priority)
The Atomic Bitchwax (the s/t first album is the best)

How about we just go with the premise that you're looking for 60s/70s Blues/Rock? Just listen to some Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, Lucifer Was, Lucifer's Friend, Sir Lord Baltimore, etc.

How about we just go with the premise that you're looking for 60s/70s Blues/Rock? Just listen to some Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, Lucifer Was, Lucifer's Friend, Sir Lord Baltimore, etc.

thanks for recommendations.

IOfTheStorm said:
Well first of all Sabbath (and Pentagram of course) are not NWOBHM. I don't have any idea of what Iommi exactly listened to, except of course The Beatles.
As for Sabbath "ripoffs" ... The Sword and Burning Saviours are not Sabbath ripoffs at all. The mighty trio of bands whose music is incredibly (dangerously close to becoming "ripoff" but i wouldnt call them like that cause it's unfair to their brilliance) similar to the Sabbath sound andkick all kinds of ass is the following:

Terra Firma (prefer "Harms Way")
Sheavy ("Electric Sleep" is the priority)
The Atomic Bitchwax (the s/t first album is the best)

I know Sabbath aren't straight up nwobhm like tygers of pan tang, Diamond head and such but they are still somewhat part of the wave. Our concept of nwobhm might differ as to see which bands are included and which aren't but I'm not saying everything I say is 100% right.

As for the Sabbath ripoff, well no band sound 100% like them but you can clearly hear Sabbath influences in BS and the Sword. A ripoff doesn't mean that the band copying them as the same level of skill to compose a song. The best exemple is Carcass there's tons of ripoffs but none of them are nearly as gfeat as the orginal band...

Oh and I was looking for trad doom with blues like vocals but I guess stoner rock is ok too..

thanks as well!

I think to see who influenced the NWOBHM you have to look around '74-'75.
Some thoughts-
Montrose - S/T Released 1973
Kiss - S/T 1974
Rush - S/T 1974
UFO - Phenomenon 1974
Ted Nugent And The Amboy Dukes - Tooth, Fang & Claw 1974
Thin Lizzy - Nightlife 1974
Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla 1974
KISS - Hotter Than Hell 1974
AC/DC - High Voltage 1975
Scorpions - In Trance 1975
Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow 1975
Ted Nugent - S/T 1975
AC/DC - T.N.T. 1975
Thin Lizzy - Fighting 1975
By '76 Maiden had formed and shit was starting to happen.

how can sabbath be part of the new wave of british heavy metal when they were part of the first wave

Boston probably influenced a lot of NWOBHM bands with their guitar work. It was pretty metal-ish at times.

UFO. Underrated band. Some of their stuff is unquestionably metal. Lights Out is a metal song. One could make a case for them being in metal-archives.

UFO are definetaly metal and not underrated, unless you judge things only by ultimatedeathblackmetal.com. Of course they were incredibly important not only to NWOBHM, but generally to heavy metal as it was evolved in the 80s.