Bands with eras that take a lot of...stuff!

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
What bands do you like that seem to get a lot of negative reviews, etc. from long time fans, due to lineup changes, etc.? In other words, it might be a band that's had several lead singers, leading to several different eras of releases. It could be any "original/key" member of a band that left, but the band kept moving forward, maybe at the dismay of fans.

The two bands, with those types of eras, that I really dig is Rainbow and Black Sabbath. I love the Joe Lynn Turner era Rainbow stuff! Plus, I really dig releases from Black Sabbath that don't have either Ozzy or Dio. Blasphemy, I know! Anyway, two of my all time favorites are Black Sabbath's "Seventh Star", featuring Glenn Hughes, and "The Eternal Idol" featuring Tony Martin.

So, what are yours? :kickass:

~Brian~

Cryptopsy, post-2000, for sure. The critical assault they've been subjected to sometimes has me saying "ouch", even if I do count myself among those who have happily ignored them after ATYB.

Edgeofthorns, I'm with you on the Tony Martin era of Sabbath! I've been singing his praises for years.

As for other bands I love that have received their fair share of flack for lineup changes, I'd have to go with Dokken and Journey. Granted, Don Dokken is a horrible singer. However, his songwriting and his choice of musicians have been pretty solid over the years, even without George Lynch on board. Journey released a killer album (Arrival) and a not-so-bad album (Generations) with Steve Augeri, who, if it really was him singing (rumors abound concerning his performances), put in some stellar work.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Tony Martin era Sabbath owns!
It took me MANY years to finally give it a proper chance.

If they released those albums under a different name, it would have been better received.

One that comes to mind is Another Perfect Day-era Motorhead. Many slammed them for going with Thin Lizzy's guitarist, who was very non-metal, in look and in style. I personally love that album. Those songs showcase Lemmy's vocal abilities, aside from harsher growls.

Obligatory Uriah Heep post: 15 lineups, 24 members over 39(!) years if my math is correct. One founding member (way-underrated guitarist Mick Box) remains, plus one member from the classic late-70s era (bassist Trevor Bolder.) Classic-era drummer Lee Kerslake retired last year.

Obligatory Uriah Heep post: 15 lineups, 24 members over 39(!) years if my math is correct. One founding member (way-underrated guitarist Mick Box) remains, plus one member from the classic late-70s era (bassist Trevor Bolder.) Classic-era drummer Lee Kerslake retired last year.

Absolute dittos^^^

Tony Martin era Sabbath is killer!

There are tons of bands that fall into this catagory really, but since I'll be seeing them this weekend, I'll mention the legendary Pentagram!

If they released those albums under a different name, it would have been better received.

One that comes to mind is Another Perfect Day-era Motorhead. Many slammed them for going with Thin Lizzy's guitarist, who was very non-metal, in look and in style. I personally love that album. Those songs showcase Lemmy's vocal abilities, aside from harsher growls.

Funny you would bring that up... Just had a conversation with a mate today about the coming M-Head tour and the APD tour came up... I've seen Motörhead around 30 times and the one show that stands out was the "Robbo" show. Great album and great tour.

FYI - Robbo now lives in Stockholm and has been sober for 2 years (allegedly :loco:)

Since there are so many mentions of Black Sabbath era with Tony Martin, I thought some might be interested in this:

Former BLACK SABBATH Singer TONY MARTIN To Tour The US As The HEADLESS CROSS Band

"According to Black-sabbath.com, former BLACK SABBATH singer TONY MARTIN and his band will be touring the USA this summer in July and August. The idea behind the tour is to celebrate the 20th anniversary release of the Black Sabbath album, Headless Cross. That will also be the moniker of the touring band; HEADLESS CROSS."

http://www.bravewords.com/news/115973

I love all the answers guys! I'm glad to see some love given to the Martin era Sabbath stuff. :kickass:

Scott, I'm going to check out this stuff regarding Martin touring the states under the Headless Cross moniker! Thanks for the heads up!:kickass:

~Brian~

GREAT Motoread album! One of my favorites..... :headbang:

Does Opeth count? They've changed over the years from Orchid / morningrise days to still life / BWP days to watershed. There always seems to be those few individuals who think Orchid was their best album.

Black Sabbath's "Born Again" with Ian Gillan on vox.
Accept's "Eat the Heat" with David Reece on Vox.
Blaze era Maiden.
Ripper era Priest.
Ripper era Iced Earth.
Falconer's "The Sceptre of Deception" with Kristoffer Gobel on vox.

...I really dig releases from Black Sabbath that don't have either Ozzy or Dio. Blasphemy, I know! Anyway, two of my all time favorites are Black Sabbath's "Seventh Star", featuring Glenn Hughes, and "The Eternal Idol" featuring Tony Martin.

You just made my top 10 "coolest-people" list with this one :kickass:

Headless Cross and Cross Purposes are also excellent non-Ozzy albums.

For me... Symphony X.

Whereas most hardcore Symphony X fans prefer the Rod Tyler era, I find I prefer the current era. And while how I can appreciate how the debut is drastically superior to anything they've done since, I think it's unnecessary for the old-school SX fans to call Russell Allen a poor excuse for a Dio clone. Yes... I get it... Rod was a vocal god and Russell couldn't carry his jock. But geez... give Russ a break, he's really not as awful as everyone says.

Zod