bands YOU think joey should produce!

Eh, I don't think the mix in Number was bad except for the electronic/glitchy parts. But yeah, I'd like to see Joey doing Woe, Is Me too.

The electronic and glitchy parts of the songs are a part of the song writing and structure. As far as mixing they fit very well with the rest of the mix, honestly how would you have mixed those parts any differently?

I'm talking about the unnaturally wide OH spread, the pod tone, sd2, and everything else. The only good part of the mix was the master which balanced the very wacky mix.

And I would agree with Andy, JS should do their next CD would sound really sick

Seriously needs to do Vanisher (Kyle's band, as stated above)

i think he is...

vanisher.png

The electronic and glitchy parts of the songs are a part of the song writing and structure. As far as mixing they fit very well with the rest of the mix, honestly how would you have mixed those parts any differently?

agreed!

JS should do their next CD would sound really sick

and agreed!!!

it's crazy... because this record has a completely artificial sound. but for some reason, everything on it sounds completely natural (as in: the way everything is placed).

it really feels like this band and cameron have found "their sound" ...which is really hard to say for most current bands trying to live up to the hype.

the industrial, gloomy, melodramatic dub style really fits.

ps... love their new single!

Less mid (and tweaks on volume) for starters: they were a bit overpowering, man.

I'm talking about the unnaturally wide OH spread, the pod tone, sd2, and everything else. The only good part of the mix was the master which balanced the very wacky mix.

Yeah, but that's the kind you're pretty supposed to expect when you know what kind of songs the band play. Part of the "fun", if you will.

It's like listening to a new black metal album for the first: you expect something like Battles in the North mixing-wise because that's usually what happens anyway, but then you get All Shall Fall and it's a pleasant surprise.

Less mid (and tweaks on volume) for starters: they were a bit overpowering, man.

Yeah, but that's the kind you're pretty supposed to expect when you know what kind of songs the band play. Part of the "fun", if you will.

It's like listening to a new black metal album for the first: you expect something like Battles in the North mixing-wise because that's usually what happens anyway, but then you get All Shall Fall and it's a pleasant surprise.

Im sorry, I'm not understanding this at all.

So you want a metalcore band that is based around mechanical, sci-fi, nu age, modernized production to turn down all of the parts that make them that?

take the mids out of the stutters? o_O Wtf does that even mean? you want them to completely change the guitars tone, or the vocalists tone or whatever so the stutters wouldnt have as much mids.

I seriously think you have this band/mix completely ass backwards.

Thy art is murder

In all seriousness we've sent an inquiry to his management and received no reply. Perhaps Joey could fill me in here or via pm if the booking details on his myspace are out of date by now or if I have the wrong contact.

Would love to see this happen.
I seriously think this TAIM + JS would be killer

Im sorry, I'm not understanding this at all.

So you want a metalcore band that is based around mechanical, sci-fi, nu age, modernized production to turn down all of the parts that make them that?

take the mids out of the stutters? o_O Wtf does that even mean? you want them to completely change the guitars tone, or the vocalists tone or whatever so the stutters wouldnt have as much mids.

I seriously think you have this band/mix completely ass backwards.

You most likely aren't. I didn't say "stutters", but "for starters": I think the electronic instruments are too "mid-frequency" based in this particular mix, which is overpowering and not quite fitting IMO. Cutting some mids from the synths and compensating the volume lost with a bit of gain shouldn't be hard, especially to comprehend. It's not about taking the electronic away, but using different parts of the frequency spectrum for them so they won't steal the highlight of the other instruments.

Ok, I cant continue this conversation.
You just arent getting it
Everything that you dont like and want to change is what they were aiming for, going over the top with everything and making sure it does steal the highlight and I would have to say a lot of their success is because of it.

and out curiosity, what monitors are you using? because no electronic instruments are overly mid heavy so I am wondering if it could be your monitoring setup.
which goes back to the first thing I said which was everything fits perfectly.

Yea, I remember him saying mixing.
but Im talking about full blown Producing and getting in there with song structure and transitions. Not that Kyle doesnt know what he is doing, but its always awesome to get an extra brain in the core of the music

Absolutely +1000000000 on that. I would love to get some outside input on things and I love joeys work and well.......Joey himself. The dude rules at life. The rough mix he has done already of one of our songs is absolutely incredible.

I would also love to hear him do the Thy Art Is Murder stuff. I think it would slay dragons.

Ok, I cant continue this conversation.
You know what, me neither. I just checked Andy Sneap forum and noticed you had essentially the same discussion with other people there on a topic, so this is kind of fruitless.

I don't own monitors, but I tested the album on pretty much every system capable of playing sound files I had at home (such as stereos, mobile phones, PC speakers, different headphones etc) and despite they all having the differences that pertains to their hardware the electronic parts still sounded overpowering to me.

Which brings us to this: you won't back down, I won't back down. If we proceed all that's going to happen is a shower of "no u" bullets and I see no point in it, as it won't do much but derail the thread. I'm sorry we disagree.

Well I've emailed Craig at rise and gotten no response as to booking thy art in. There's some pretty cool surprises for the next album and it would be awesome to secure joeys services for it. Would be great to have his creative input on something a little more darker and faster than what he normally does. Oceano aside I guess. Are you still doing casket kyell or is that on the back burner again? Would love to hear phenomenon re recorded by Joey.

Well I've emailed Craig at rise and gotten no response as to booking thy art in. There's some pretty cool surprises for the next album and it would be awesome to secure joeys services for it. Would be great to have his creative input on something a little more darker and faster than what he normally does. Oceano aside I guess. Are you still doing casket kyell or is that on the back burner again? Would love to hear phenomenon re recorded by Joey.

Yeah still doing Casket. Just hard to do it with as busy as Dustie and Blake are. Not to mention Adam is on tour with Wretched right now, but we have a couple new songs done so hopefully sometime soon a cd will be done.

You know what, me neither. I just checked Andy Sneap forum and noticed you had essentially the same discussion with other people there on a topic, so this is kind of fruitless.

I don't own monitors, but I tested the album on pretty much every system capable of playing sound files I had at home (such as stereos, mobile phones, PC speakers, different headphones etc) and despite they all having the differences that pertains to their hardware the electronic parts still sounded overpowering to me.

Which brings us to this: you won't back down, I won't back down. If we proceed all that's going to happen is a shower of "no u" bullets and I see no point in it, as it won't do much but derail the thread. I'm sorry we disagree.

/facepalm

/facepalm

Yup. I was afraid this forum would have alot of people like him...

Kind of late on the convo, but I really can't stand Chango stuff. Everything is just too wide and unnatural sounding (Joey even said that on the Sneap forum a while back.) But I thought I saw someone posted that Chango used real amps?

I think Joey needs to do the new The Word Alive. They just kind of seem like a band that would be suitable for a "Sturgis" mix. I can't stand the mix on the current release at all.

Yup. I was afraid this forum would have alot of people like him...

Kind of late on the convo, but I really can't stand Chango stuff. Everything is just too wide and unnatural sounding (Joey even said that on the Sneap forum a while back.) But I thought I saw someone posted that Chango used real amps?

I think Joey needs to do the new The Word Alive. They just kind of seem like a band that would be suitable for a "Sturgis" mix. I can't stand the mix on the current release at all.

ive read that chango has used lecto, diezel vh4, pod, waves gtr. i have no idea haha.

and yeah word alives mix is horrible

Well I've emailed Craig at rise and gotten no response as to booking thy art in. There's some pretty cool surprises for the next album and it would be awesome to secure joeys services for it. Would be great to have his creative input on something a little more darker and faster than what he normally does. Oceano aside I guess.

that'd be awesome!

actually i emailed him not too long ago about his guitar sounds and he said
"I run a chain with various solo guitar models and lecto paulin plugin as if it were a real setup"
there you have it. Lecto Paulin.