Bare Knuckle Pick-Ups

I've always been a bit skeptical about BKPs. Everyone harped on about them on intermusic when they came along (it's a very "received knowledge" forum - i.e. "I was told this is the best for this so I'll pass it off as my own advice" etc.) Just didn't think with the sounds I'd heard from them they're particularly worth more money than a DiMarzio, which are more expensive in the UK than the US. I'm generally happy with my Evo/Air Norton combo (you'll never guess who my two favourite guitar players are will you? :Smug: ) though I tried DiMarzio's D-Activators the other day and was quite impressed with the bridge model.

No, they're 'fixed' EMGs - they redid the preamp slightly and it wound up being even lower-noise and more organic-sounding. Clips are tasty - all of what I liked about EMGs, but better.

Jeff

all blackout clips i've heard sounded very bad to my ears... and i hate the live wires
if i could stand actives again, i'd never swap EMGs for any other active pickup

i didn't like d-activators too
very clear, but they sound like a weak EMG 60

after you change pickups a lot of times (i had 13 in the same guitar), you notice that you recognize the things you don't like quickly, but you only recognize the good part when you play it for days, specially when playing in a band

There haven't been many, if any, good clips of the Blackouts made.

I actually didn't like these much at first, but after about a week I'm absolutely enthralled with them. Might still go with an 89/89 set in my next axe, just for the splitting capability, tho.