Bass at Two Octaves!!

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
Hey guys.

A couple months ago, I posted a thread about the best ways of tracking a 6 string bass tuned to drop E... The consensus was that I should use a standard tuned bass, duplicate the track, and have track two be pitch shifted an octave lower.

So, Tony Danza and I just got done tracking bass and I've been messing around with it.. I think I sorta got the hang of it, but I was just curious as to what you guys would do with it?

What would you do EQ wise, tone wise, ect?

Right now I literally just have them going through the same channel setting (T.S.E. BOD and Ampeg SVX).. But obviously the other one is pitch shifted.

I'd be curious about this as well. Producing an EP coming up in a couple weeks, and these cats have a song tuned to drop F and I have no clue how to approach that. The lowest I've worked with is G#, and that was a hassle.

I mean.. It sounds decent, but I'm not getting the sub sound I'm looking for that I can typically get with a low tuned bass..E is the lowest I've ever worked on.

I mean.. It sounds decent, but I'm not getting the sub sound I'm looking for that I can typically get with a low tuned bass..E is the lowest I've ever worked on.

I'd craft a sub sound and translate the MIDI to trigger it. If you've got Massive, here's a good tutorial on how to tweak the sub bass sound from being just a flat hum, by altering the envelope characteristics, pitch bend (I go with a slight upbow, like a real bass string would), warble, etc. Just dial it in, put it on a parallel channel, and low pass it really aggressively.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd craft a sub sound and translate the MIDI to trigger it. If you've got Massive, here's a good tutorial on how to tweak the sub bass sound from being just a flat hum, by altering the envelope characteristics, pitch bend (I go with a slight upbow, like a real bass string would), warble, etc. Just dial it in, put it on a parallel channel, and low pass it really aggressively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psGO3UgUmrY

Nice thanks dude!!! Any idea on methods of converting transients to midi??

NSGUITAR said:

There is one method in the reaper manual, which iirc is more or less using the dynamic slice and create a chromatic or one note midi file time-aligned with all chops. You then just have to place them at the right midi note if they aren't already.

funny, pondered all day long about it yesterday. I tried out everything I could think of or could find. even melodyne sucks with long, sustained, soft bass notes and I didn't want to go the midi pickup route because it's too expensive.

the result is that I think it's not really reliably possible unless you split each note at the transient manually which is absolutely dreadful.

How would you guys trigger MIDI from audio inside Pro Tools and/or Logic ? I'm kinda wanting to try that synth sub bass thing (sturgis style ) on upcoming productions

Sometimes I think it's for a reason, that a bass tuned to drop Z sounds like ass