Bass perfection in a mix

Dawn Patrol

Feb 3, 2005
Sweden
How do you guys mix the bass. Do you want a bass sound that stands out of the mix, maybe very picky-soundish... Are you just trying to make a kind of low-end pad and just have the bass rumble in the background or do you try to make it fit very well with the guitars and make a feeling that the guitars has massive low-ends? Do you compress the shit out of the bass and make it kind of flat or do you want a more pumping, dynamic bass?

A lots of questions and I know it depends on the music and song but the most of us have a preference of what we consider to be good at almost all times.:devil:

It would be cool if anyone...(andy, murphy...) could post some clips of maybe just drums ´n bass, to let us understand what tight low-end is about. :headbang:

hi,
that's an interesting question
i also struggle with the bass guitar and kick drum
i know c4 is common for guitars to get that low end tight
but what's usually the trick for bass guitar also c4 ?
just wondering

since im a guitar player and know dick about bass, id be interested to hear some different methods here. i usually use a sansamp, sometimes mix a sansamp with a beta52 on a ampeg 8x10. usually in the mix i cut out everything below 60hz.but like i said, i dont know much, its an area id like to improve in.

The bass always kicks my ass. It seems like the moment the bass is inserted into the mix, everything instantly becomes muddy. It's kind of hard for me to get a full low-end sound without clouding up everything else. Definately would love to hear some pointers.

I use the DI track for low-end (usually below 200-300 Hz) and amp track for hi-end. I compress them individually and together in a group. If I want more low-end, I just raise the faders of the DI track. Sounds better than boosting the low frequencies with EQ.

If you don't have a decent rig, the sanamp bass d.i or the sansamp plugin are very cool, amp farm is even ok with a bit of tweaking (fender, big cab)

I usually mix in a overdriven sound as well, sometimes basically a guitar type disortion and then filter it around the clean bass (a la andy)

for the main bass sound try compressing it a bit on the way in if you can, and really experiment with more compression in the mix don't be scared to slam it ;)

If it's getting in the way of things, focus it's low-end between 120ish-240 and make sure that area is not also overwhelming in the kick drum or guitars.

and even if your guitars are a bit scooped the're still midrangey by default so don't be afraid to have a slightly scooped bass tone. You can also add a bit of honk with the distorted track.