Batman Begins

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Saw this today. Top stuff. Easily the best Batman flick yet. The Burton ones were good, but were too obviously filmed on a soundstage, while the Schumacher ones weren't good. Weren't good at all.

But this one is tops. Christian Bale is tops. I had a couple of quibbles, the first one being about the costume which has probably never been addressed ever (why don't they fix the cowl so he can turn his head?) while the second would require a spoiler warning that I can't be bothered with.

Yeah, so go see it. And Spawn, as I said ages ago, is an idiot for thinking that Tim Burton was the only one who could ever direct a Batman flick. But he doesn't post here anymore.

I miss spawny :(

But yeah, I wanna see this one. Christian Bale is an absolute fukkin' King, so that had me shitting my pants.

Might go see it at the cinny's, but I spend most of my moneys on beers and CDs, so we'll see what happens.

AND Tom Wilkinson, AND Rutger Hauer, AND Cillian Murphy, AND Ken Watanabe, AND Linus Roache, AND - AND!! - Gary Oldman! Oh, and Katie Holmes.

It's the ensemble cast of the year!

Michael Caine has been in some doozy's... but he's also been in some shockers.

But it is a huge cast. Rutger Hauer's in it? I didn't know that... he's BRILLIANT. "... time to die." Blade Runner never really got me, but he did in that movie.

Anyway, Seal's "Kiss from a Rose" and one of the better U2 traxx made Batman Forever an alright sequel for me. Never saw Batman & Robin, but I can't see it being too bad, as Arnie is an absolute KING.

Saw it tonight...was AWESOME.

I'd love to see a Batman movie made with the type of costume that the dude used in the Batman - Dead End short film that was shown at a Comic Con. Like the Alex Ross paintings of batman...Leather and grey fabric...looks so great.

Anyway, I'm keen to know your other quibble about the suit spiffo so I'll do a spoiler warning here for you...

*SPIFF'S NEXT POST HAS SPOILERSS!!!!!OMG!!!!1!!!*

...post away my friend...

*SPOILER WARNING!!!!OMG!!!!1!!!*

It was the microwave water vapourizer thing - why didn't it also vapourize people, seeing as we're made up of a good deal of water?

I thought it was excellent. Not without it's annoyances, but still a very good 'stand alone' film. Fuck the other Batman movies. FUCK EM.

Yeah the Machinist looks awesome.

re - the microwave thing. I had thought that too Spiffo, and when they first mentioned the weapon, I thought immediately it would be a weapon to attack people and fry them by boiling all the water in the body.

Maybe it was more a "vaporises water in the form of water and not water that makes up other things like skin and bodies and stuff" type of thing.

I dunno...but yeah I see your point.

Did anyone mention that it was a fuckin great film?

Loved the "bat mobile" thought it was never really referred to as that, it was the Tumbler. The sound editing on that thing was great, especially when it was taking high speed corners and stuff...the sound of the rubber skipping and gripping the road was awesome.

I definately want to see it again. Should buy that and Batman and consider it a 2 DVD collection and fuck off the rest of the films. Then get Christian Bale to make some sequels to Batman and think of the other films as "those that we don't talk about anymore"

There was a review in the Courier Mail that said it was too dark and depressing and that a Batman movie should be aimed at kids or some bollocks. To that review I give a heafty 5 get fucked's and a thumbs down. Batman is supposed to be gritty and dark and dirty.

Absolutely kick ass. I am so glad that there wasn't a huge amount of hype about this movie, it really snuck under the radar for me and i wasn't expecting much. I didn't even know who was in it apart from Bale and Katie, so it was like an early xmas watching all these awesome actors turn up in scenes :)

Would recommend it to anyone :)

Well done, Salty. Post alerts galore for Spiff's spoiler post, but not even one tiny mention of spoilers for yours.

I might as well not even bother to go and see it now. Thanks :(

And the way I understood it was that Batman Begins was the start of a totally new Batman series with no relation at all to the earlier ones, so they can "imagine" it differently and they don't have to worry about continuity and all that. That's how they can have the Joker as the villain in the next one. I believe he's already been cast, and it's an Aussie dude.

phlogiston said:
I might as well not even bother to go and see it now. Thanks :(

Don't worry about it. That evil plot to destroy the Gotham was the weakest part of the film and probably best ignored anyway.

I actually liked the "evil plot"...

I think the film was brilliant... and that's even including the extreme righteousness of Katie Holmes character. His first "Batman" scene at the wharf is how I always imagined it should be done!

As far as I know there has been no casting done for the Joker in the second film. Rumours abound, of course, but nothing anywhere near official.

I still haven't seen the new Batman movie, and I don't care if the wanna start all over again, if they are all fucking dark like they should be, then let em go for it. What sort of cockhead reckons that it should be aimed at kids...what a fucking dick