Battle of the bands

Do you want this?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jimmy101

Sep 19, 2018
I'm a relative newcomer to this forum, so this idea has already been floated before. But would anyone be interested in having some kind of "battle of the bands" mini game feature on GMD?

Basically a situation where 16 or 32 of the most popular bands get nominated & then go up against each other head to head in a knockout style comp where the band which receives the most votes wins?

Could be fun. Thoughts?

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Might be cool to divide it up into sub-genres as well. Have a thrash comp, death metal, black metal etc etc.

Very true.

As I alluded to earlier, I was thinking of breaking up the tournament into bands by genre. I was thinking of running with a Thrash metal comp to kick things off, as most metal-heads are into Thrash.

Essentially, just to test the waters & see if this will gather any traction, we'll turn this thread into a nominations thread. Ideally it'd be good to get a list of 16 bands to compete in the initial competition, but can loosen the belt & allow 32 bands in if there are enough people on here who are keen to see this up & running.

To get the ball rolling, I will personally list a few bands that should (in my opinion anyway) receive automatic qualification...

The USA "Big Four" (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax)

The Teutonic "Big Four" (Kreator, Tankard, Destruction, Sodom)

As well as Testament!

So... this gives us a list of nine bands that are currently in the running. Now we just need at least seven more to complete the tournament bracket. So please nominate some bands if you're down like Charlie Brown & we'll get back in the game like Jack LaLane.

Oh cool, in between all the arguments as to which band is best we can also fit in a whole bunch of "they aren't thrash", "they aren't death" comments.

Off the top of my head you could add bands like

Overkill
Testament
Dark Angel
Atrophy
Exhorder
Sacred Reich
Exodus
Heathen
Razor
Vio-lence
Celtic Frost
Nuclear Assault
Death Angel
Anacrusis
Tankard
Xentrix
Annihilator
Flotsam & Jetsam
Forbidden
Metal Church (before they turned to shit)
Sepultura (before they turned to shit)

Nice, Testament & Tankard are already in though.

Will make it so a band needs only two separate nominations to qualify.

Flood gates are open people. Feel free to nominate at your discretion.

Reactions: Slammed
There would be a few easy sacrifices in a list as big as 32.
A few aussie bands like Mortal Sin and Hobbs Angel Of Death could fit on the list as well.

Qualified bands (tentative listing, subject to change)...

Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer
Anthrax
Kreator
Tankard
Destruction
Sodom
Testament
Sepultura
Razor
Overkill