Battlestar Galactica

One word: Poo.

What a fucking crap adaption of it! I mean, it was cool that it was set 50 years after the original series but what the fuck is with every character having the same name and relationship as the original characters?

And the NYPD Blue style shakey camera stuff was fucking annoying!

Utter crap! Should be pooed out of a machine specifically designed to poo poos.

Bah. That's crazy talk. You're crazy. Best sci-fi on TV with the possible exception of Stargate.

Although I do have a problem with all of the corners being cut off the paper. What is *with* that?

we've been watching it here at work and we're loving it. I was a huge fan of the original series when I was a kid...

IS it a continuation of the original series though? Or is it a retelling of the same story? My mate here who's downloaded and watched the whole series already says that it's a retelling... but with the "returning after 40 years" angle, and the "only the old fighters are any good" thing, with the old fighters being pretty much the same as the ones in the old series... I'm confuzzled.

Anyway - either way I'm digging it big time.

I must admit I did like that they used properish physics. None of this instant direction change guff. (And yes, I know FTL isn't proper physics. Leave me alone)

phlogiston said:
(And yes, I know FTL isn't proper physics. Leave me alone)

For the show to work, FTL has to be possible. Anyhow, faster than light travel is only impossible as far as current human understanding of physics stands. An advanced society may well know how to do it. Dogfighting in space is impossible too, but I can accept it because without it there wouldn't be any cool action scenes. :) If there's a plot hole, it was in the way the Cylons were able to neutralise the newer Vipers and Battlestars, but couldn't do it to the older ones. I would have thought that it would have been more feasible for it to have worked the other way around. Oh well. This has turned into a really geeky thread.

Gorey,
quantum physicists are at present debating faster than light travel (at least of information). Entangled particles will undergo a change at exactly the same time, no matter where they are. So by definition, if they are moved any distance apart, the information has travelled at greater than light speed. It's got a lot of great minds thinking.

(Personally, I wouldn't be suprised if Einstein's physics are just a subset of some greater system, just the same as Newton's physics work well when velocity is much smaller than the speed of light).

BTW, did you hear on the news that the U.S. military has ceased research on teleportation ?

Goreripper said:
If there's a plot hole, it was in the way the Cylons were able to neutralise the newer Vipers and Battlestars, but couldn't do it to the older ones. I would have thought that it would have been more feasible for it to have worked the other way around.

They explained this by saying that pretty much everything that flew was using some of Baltar's software and the hot Cylon chick introduced a whole mess of backdoors and stuff so the Cylon fighters could introduce viruses to shut them all down. (Early in the first episode they said that she rewrote a lot of Baltar's algorithms for him.)

Galactica and the MKII Vipers didn't have any of Baltar's software, and didn't even have networked computers. About halfway through last night they were going to "retrofit the newer Vipers".

Spiff said:
I know nothing about physics and stuff. Why is dogfighting in space impossible?

Well, once you're moving in space you tend to keep moving in the same direction, there's no friction to slow you down. And at the speeds normally encountered in space slowing and reversing direction would take hours, which isn't really conducive to dog fights.

Wrathy, also we have the Hitchhikers movie coming out in May and Star Wars III just two-three weeks after that.

And of course the Hitchhikers 4th radio series midyear.

And War Of The Worlds (both versions) coming out this year.

Channel 7 just finished running the first season of Firefly sadly.

But Battlestar Galactica will do fine. It seems to be a direct remake of the original (1978) series for the newer television market, since most kids today don't really like 70's Sci Fi (with the exception of Star Wars) so I guess they remade it.

In other good news we now have the first season (2004) of BG running on Wednesday nights, so it's not going to clash with Stargate, and in America the second season of BG has been giving a green light.

I'll assume the 2nd season will roughly match the second season of the original series (1980). But for me to check that it'll give away the end of the first season and I don't really want to do that.

There's a tonne of Sci Fi hitting our culture this year.