Because it needs to be acknowledged here, too...R.I.P. RJD

Met-Al

Oct 12, 2004
Hey, everyone,

I know my presence on this forum has been rather nonexistant this past month, but the combination of personal matters and my involvement in recording for a project outside of this one (more details on that later) have kept me pretty busy lately. That said, I think everybody who visits this forum knows the sad news by now. Seeing as how Ronnie James Dio is one of the biggest names in heavy metal, it's only appropriate that he is remembered through this channel. I'd just like to offer my two cents about the man, even if it means small potatoes to the rest of the metal community.

I remember being a kid in the late 80s and hanging out at a friend's house. In his bedroom was one of those mirrors that you would win at a carnival with the Dio logo and the signature mascot on it. I asked what that was all about, and my friend had no clue. I'm assuming that he did in fact win the item at a carnival and just decided to keep it. Had I known then what I know now, I would have bargained with him to have it for myself.

Growing up with a dad who loved everything about melodic hard rock and metal, I heard Ronnie's most popular works with Rainbow and his solo band on the radio all the time without knowing who was singing the songs. When I started to become a more serious music fan as a teenager, my dad played "Man On The Silver Mountain" by Rainbow for me and told me to just listen to the power behind the singer's voice. From that moment, I was hooked.

Since then, I managed to catch the man in conert four times with his solo group and once with Heaven & Hell. I can honestly say that I was never disappointed with his performance. The man had more power in his voice and a more energetic stage presence than most singers half his age. The command he had over an audience was unparalleled. He undoubtedly had a huge influence on countless singers, myself included.

When I heard the announcement of his death, I was definitely taken aback. However, it wasn't until the next day, upon reading all of the outpourings from fans and fellow musicians, that it really struck me. Though a number of influential figures in heavy metal have passed onto the other side, Dio's passing was the first to tug at my emotions. It obviously had the same effect on many other people as well. It just goes to show just how big of an impact one person can make on the world.

Lately, I've been telling myself, "Dude, you're 29. When are you planning on making your mark as a singer?" Granted, I am currently working on my first two albums, but I couldn't help but think that there are so many other singers out there who are my age with a number of albums to their credit. Then I remembered that Dio didn't put out his first album with Elf until he was about 30. That's all the inspiration I need to keep going.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Beautifully put. I only got to see him live once - when he swung by SLC with Dio supporting Deep Purple and the Scorpions. That was a hell of a line-up, doubly so for singers. I'm glad I made it to that one.

He once said (remembering from an old interview here) that he was proud that he'd been able to sing on three all-time classic albums: Rainbow Rising, Heaven and Hell, and Holy Diver. Personally I'd add quite a few more to that list.

One of the greats, and he left us a great deal to remember him by. We'll miss you, Ronnie.