Being and Time

Paragraph 8

When we try to approach the question of being through the being of beings, it is crucial to note that we find that the being of beings is already given. That is, in order to interrogate a specific being, that being must already be the thing that it is in advance of our examination. An apple must be an apple, for example, before we can enquire after it as an apple. "The question of being demands that the right access to beings be gained and secured in advance with regards to what it interrogates." We are not trying to describe the material qualities of a specific thing; we are asking how beings are disclosed as the things they are.

"Everything we talk about, mean, and are related to is in being." That is everyTHING whatsoever is. Our preontological understanding of being allows us to understand things as the things they are*. Being determines them as those things.

If being is that which determines things as they are (remember: not in a causal sense), and everything is in being, which being shall have priority for our enquiry into the meaning of being? That is, from where is our enquiry to begin? From which being shall we try to disclose the meaning of being in general? Will it be the being of the question as a mode of the questioner?

* = This understanding does not suggest some kind of factual omniscience. A foreign object we do not understand has a kind of being (probably: present-to-hand). If we learn (get a sense) that this object is a kind of tool, we understand its being as ready-to-hand. Hammers, saws, screwdrivers etc have the same kind of being regardless of their different material properties. The notions of "present-to-hand" and "ready-to-hand" will be encountered in much greater depth later.

Paragraph 9

To formulate the question of being, then, requires us to enquire how we gain access to what is to be interrogated (being), and also requires us to discover the being from which our enquiry is to unfold. "Regarding, understanding and grasping, choosing, and gaining access to, are constitutive attitudes of inquiry and are thus themselves modes of a particular being." That is, the task of questioning, and the methods of enquiry used to formulate a question, are themselves modes of a certain being: human being, or Da-sein. "Thus to work out the question of being means to make a being - one who questions - transparent in its being."

Paragraph 10

Is this not just circular reasoning? The question of being is asked as a mode of a being (Da-sein); we must already understand beings as the things they are to have a foundation for the asking of the question. "In working out the question do we not presuppose something that only the answer can provide?"

This is quite a rare concession by Heidegger to the protocols of analytic debate and formal logic, and even here is he is deprecatory: "Formal objections such as the argument of circular reasoning... are always sterile. They do not offer anything to the understanding of the issue and they hinder penetration into the field of investigation."

Paragraph 11

In any case, there is no circular reasoning. We can already understand beings as the things they are without an explicit concept of the meaning of being. That is, we understand beings preontologically (before a worked-out system of ontology). In all prior ontology (as a discipline of philosophy), and indeed in all prior western thinking, being is "presupposed," or taken for granted. Philosophical and ideological theories apply to beings as they are already given and already understood preontologically by Da-sein. Theoretical thinking seeks to describe, order and categorise beings that already given. We are after an understanding of being in general as that which allows entities to be the things that they are in advance of any theories.

"A 'circle of reasoning' cannot possibly lie in the formulation of the question of the meaning of being, because in answering this question it is not a matter of grounding by deduction but rather of laying bare and exhibiting the ground." That is, we are not enquiring into an entity and trying to deduce its nature - entities (beings) are already understood in their being (which determines the entities they are) by Da-sein's preontological understanding -, we are laying bare the ground of all beings whatsoever, and in so doing disclosing the meaning of beings itself.

We must be careful here. When Heidegger writes of "laying bare the ground" of the meaning of being he does not mean to suggest that being is a materially present "ground" upon which beings show up. Likewise, being is not something that lurks behind beings. By "laying bare the ground" of the question of being we are not seeking to ground it by deduction; we are trying to understand how it shows up as the question that it is. The "ground" is that by which things are determined to be the things they are. In that sense, the ground of beings is being. We are not after the meaning of beings; we are after the meaning of that which determines beings to be the beings they are - namely, being.

The question itself does not exist outside of being. We cannot be satisfied merely by "answering" it as we would any other question - by looking at the already given qualities of a specific being - we are seeking to understand the meaning of being itself, which, if you will forgive the repetition, is a non-entity that determines beings as the beings they are.

Paragraph 12

Confused? We probably should be. Heidegger writes that "the way what is questioned essentially engages our questioning belongs to the innermost meaning of the question of being." The question, as a mode of a questioner, arises in being and seeks to enquire after the meaning of being. Heidegger notices that something like a "relatedness backward or forward" emerges. This is the first mention of the hermeneutic approach that will be adopted in Being and Time. In this context, "hermeneutic" means careful interpretation. In pursuing our enquiry we must allow for the fact that the enquiry itself arises from within the (non)object of its interrogation. That is, the question of the meaning of being arises within being and is understood preontologically in its being. We must perpetually relate the question to its own arising.

As the question arises as a mode of Da-sein, "something like a priority of Da-sein has announced itself." That is, Da-sein will be the being from which our enquiry will unfold.

A note: despite Justin's important post on why we should not use the word "entity" in place of "a being" I have sometimes used "thing" interchangeably with "a being" simply because the continuous repetition of "a being" would - to me - appear to confuse more than preserve, and certainly appears a little inelegant in English. Whether my concern for "elegance" justifies the risk of obscuring Heidegger's thinking can be debated. I have tried to use "a being" where possible, and it is hoped that when reading these notes the viewer will keep the relationship between being and beings foremost in mind.

I'll be a little more careful. We've established that being is not a being. I'd have thought that's because beings show up within being, so being cannot be a being in itself, but the reasoning here is different: being is not a being since all beings are. My mistake was to assume that the dichotomy of is/"is not" applies to being but I suppose it doesn't (it only does to things, to beings), and to understand the sentence in negation (that is, "beings are, rather than not", and not simply "beings are")

I'd have thought that's because beings show up within being, so being cannot be a being in itself, but the reasoning here is different...

No, I think you are correct. I think the "all beings are..." explanation tries to say the same thing, though not as eloquently as you have phrased it here.

3 - The Ontological Priority of the Question of Being

Paragraph 1

We have gained some insight into the unique character of the question of being. However, the true nature of this uniqueness will only become evident when we understand the function, intention and motives of the question.

Paragraph 2

As yet the question of being (what is the meaning of being?) lacks an answer. What purpose, though, does our enquiry serve? Is the question mere "free-floating speculation about the most general generalities" or is it "the most basic and at the same time most concrete question?"

Paragraph 3

Heidegger begins this paragraph by declaring, "being is always the being of a being." As this being of a being, being determines the being as the being it is. Put differently: being, as the being of a thing, determines that thing as the thing it is.

All beings taken together demarcate the realm of certain kinds of knowledge. The concepts of life, space, history and nature, for example, demarcate realms of knowledge about beings in total. “Space” is the positional relationship between beings, “history” purports to be the record of beings in time, “nature” is the natural order and law of beings.

Now, science can investigate these areas and try to establish theories about them but, to a certain extent, they are already understood beforehand. That is, we must already have some understanding of the being of “life” before we can devise a theoretical/scientific investigation into what it is to be a “living thing” as opposed to an “inorganic thing.” "Life" is a category, or type, of being. Categories of being are called ontologies. The specific results of scientific investigations are not particularly important; what is important is any subsequent ontological modification of its founding concept (in the instance under discussion: what it means to be “alive.”)

Paragraphs 4 & 5

The most developed sciences are capable of sustaining radical alteration of their foundational concepts. Quantum physics, for example, alters the concept of what it is for a being to be present in “space,” postulating that a subatomic particle can occupy numerous areas of “space” at once.

Paragraph 6

Ontological concepts leap ahead and disclose a type of being (i.e. “life) that can then be thematised into a scientific enquiry. The area called “life” is disclosed by an ontological understanding of being that comes before scientific investigation. “Since each of these areas arises from the domain of beings themselves, [they are revealed by] nothing else than interpreting these beings in terms of the basic constitution of their being.” Interpreting beings in terms of their being, argues Heidegger, is something that human beings can do from pre-scientifically. It is this that gives rise to ontologies.

Science and scientific concepts, then, are not primary. The foundational areas of knowledge pertaining to the totality of beings are first disclosed as ontological regions of being. This understanding leaps ahead of scientific investigation and should not be confused with logic. Ontology founds and demarcates a region for scientific enquiry; logic comes later, investigating the methodology of the scientific enquiry.

“Thus, for example, what is philosophically primary is not a theory of concept-formation in historiology (the study of history, “History”), not the theory of historical knowledge, not even the theory of history as the object of historiology; what is primary is rather the (ontological) interpretation of genuinely historical beings with regard to their historicality."
That is, what is primary is the ontological demarcation of "historical beings" (as a type of being) to be interpreted in their historicality.

Ontology precedes scientific theory. Heidegger has demonstrated the ontological priority of the question of being. BUT:

Paragraph 7

The question of being is not a traditional question.

Even if we established an ontological genealogy of every category of being possible and every way of being whatsoever, we would not have enquired as to the meaning of being in general. It is Da-sein’s understanding of being that allows us to understand beings as the beings they are. We understand the fundamental areas of knowledge (ontological regions) in the field of beings in their totality only in light of our understanding of being in general. Pre-scientific ontology, that is, is itself grounded in our preontological understanding of being. The ontological category "quantity," for example, can only arise as a region of knowledge if we first of all understand being in general.

As this preontological understanding of being is not something given in lived experience (as ontological understanding is), but is the grounding possibility of all experience whatsoever, it is prior not only to scientific theory but all formal ontology. Formal ontology interprets beings in regard to their kind of being; our preontological understanding of being allows beings to show up for that interpretation as the beings they are.

Paragraph 8

“The question of being thus aims at an a priori condition of the possibility not only of the sciences which investigate beings of such and such a type – and are thereby already involved in an understanding of being; but it aims also at the condition of the possibility of the ontologies which precede the ontic sciences and found them.”

To elaborate: the ontic (concerned with the factual propertes of beings) sciences are founded by ontologies (disclosures of types of being). Biology is possible only once the ontological concept of life (the kind of being that living beings are) has been disclosed. Once the ontological region of “life” has been demarcated we can investigate living beings with regard to their specific attributes (and then possibly modify our initial demarcation). The initial demarcation arises from pre-scientific experience. [Note: the ontic sciences are not just the “hard” sciences. They are any theoretical mode of study.] Ontological regions of beings can only show up, however, only if we already understand being in general. To understand “living beings” we must first understand being.

Being and Time seeks to investigate the question of the meaning of being. Understanding the meaning of being is the a priori condition not just for science but for all ontologies whatsoever.

“All ontology, no matter how rich and tightly knit a system of categories it has as its disposal, remains fundamentally blind… if it has not previously clarified the meaning of being.”

Paragraph 9

As an investigation into the ground of ontologies (which themselves ground scientific enquiry), the question of being achieves its ontological priority. This is the priority of fundamental ontology.

I just want to say that I still try to follow this "column", although I barely get to see my sweet home now. So keep up the good job! :)

I must say, excellent work so far in helping us understand the text.

That Da-Sein is of an ontic-ontological structure (that is, ontically it is ontological) is an existential understanding of Da-sein.

I'm not sure if i know what this means. Without using jargon, are you saying that in fact (scientifically), Dasein understands in a vague sort of way the shape of being in general, and it's also able to interpret the mode which it is in at a particular time? And that the statement I just made is an existential description of Dasein?