Ben Threw with this Pod Tone! :O

ragzy02

New Metal Member
Jun 9, 2014
Hi guys, love the forum btw. Anyhow, I'm recording a band's cover of Ben Threw (Of Mice & Men) and doing the mixing/mastering/etc.

I've always been decent at getting the Sturgis guitar tone, but getting the opening riff of this track to sound right guitar-wise is possibly one of the biggest challenges I've faced in a while. I know that the bass guitar is critical for this song, but I think I have that part mixed sufficiently.

I have the usual Pod Farm setup going (Screamer, Cali-Diamond, TreadPlate Cab, 67 Condenser, etc.), but what I'm having a hard time with is the EQ settings.

What on god's green Earth did JS do with the EQ on these guitars here? :worship: I've tried to usual culprits (4k cut for the ampsim fizz, 250Hz dip for the low-mids, and notching out the 700Hz boxiness. Tried various places of lo-pass and hi-pass of course as well.)

If I go any further with cuts, the middle falls apart and the sound is too scooped! Any suggestions I would greatly appreciate.

Here is my Plugin chain: On guitars: ReaQ for HP and LP filters. Q10 for EQing. Master buss: Ozone: Using it for Excitement, Comp, Stereo Imaging, and Limiting.

Good god, I just realized, by looking through all of the threads that virtually NO ONE posts replies in this particular forum. Wow! Fat chance of getting any type of input from what I'm seeing. Pretty sad actually.

Lots of people asking for critiques of their music and nobody is giving any.
:(

This forum is dead. As you might have read on other posts: If you want replies, come to the Andy Sneap forum.

There's a lot of people who are doing the biggest names in metal at the Andy Sneap forum, so I do suggest it quite fondly if you actually want to learn something and get great knowledge.