Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sodom - Obsessed By Cruelty

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Anom@nder Rake

lives on the internet
Sep 21, 2004
new jersey, usa
1986 was a huge year for metal. A lot of big name put out great albums but which one do you think is the best? There's so many classics from this year that I'm going to have to listen to them again before I can come up with a decision.

Kreator - Pleasure to Kill.

I was tempted to say Slayer's Reign in Blood, which is probably the most deserving of the title, but Pleasure to Kill is fucking violent, laying the template for a lot of mid-90s black metal (De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas anyone?). Plus, everybody and their fucking mother'll probably vote for Reign in Blood.

I also considered Darkness Descends, which, like Pleasure to Kill, also had a huge influence on a lot of black metal as it developed away from simple Hellhammer/Bathory worship.

I don't see what's so special about 1986. My favourite album from that year is probably Voivod's Rrröööaaarrr, Master of Puppets or Somewhere in Time... I voted for other for Rrröööaaarrr.

I picked Pleasure to Kill, though Darkness Descends and Epicus Doomicus Metallicus made it tough. I'm sure there are tons of other releases that I'm forgetting that I enjoy more than the aforementioned, but I rarely pay attention to specific years in which albums are released.

Edit: I also always thought that Under The Sign Of The Black Mark was an 86' release, but it was indeed released in 87' (according to MA).

i voted MOP. RIB is as good imo but MOP seems like a fuller and more well rounded album. so it gets my vote. frankly nothing on else on this list comes close to those two.

I'm a huge fan of lots of bands with great releases 86, like Candlemass, Fates Warning, Dark Angel, Cirith Ungol, Manilla Road, etc. But I'm sorry to say, there aren't many albums out there that tops the best Iron Maiden album ever.

FATES WARNING- Awaken the Gaurdian to me was the best that year. And still is one of the best metal albums of all time. Great list, though. Even though thrash was around since 82/83, 1986 was the watershed year for the genre.