GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1993

3) Pure Holocaust by Immortal
Spiritless I lay on cryptic stones...

"II recently invested in some fairly high end audio equipment and it's allowed me to appreciate this album in a way I never did before --- I'm starting to see why people don't enjoy Immortal's later work as much compared to this --- I have trouble putting it into words without rolling out a load of cliches - icy, vicious, etc. But ya - that sound, I want more of it." - @WNxScythe

"Everyone knows Pure Holocaust is the best Immortal album" - whiskey funeral

"I don't even know if Immortal take themselves seriously or not. I don't give a shit tbh I just think they've put out some fucking sexual black metal albums."- @SentinelSlain

"Yeah, there's nothing like getting laid to the smooth motions of Pure Holocaust." - @Einherjar86

"I dunno, I guess I have some mixed feelings about black metal "classics", I like burzum "det som engang var" alot, but immortal "pure holocaust" is utter trash to me. " - Hell Awaits Us All

"Pure Holocaust is garbage compared to most of their other albums, I don't care what elitist wankers think. Pure Holocaust is their most boring album after Battles in the North." - SculptedCold

"My appreciation for Pure Holocaust seems to be on an everlasting upward spiral at the moment." - @no country for old wainds

Chosen by:
Phylactery (#2)

Atomic Tide (#3)
Dweller in the Dark (#3)
Serjeant Grumbles (#3)
crimsonfloyd (#4)
Dazed and Brutal (#5)
Manic Ferocity (#5)
CIG (#6)
Omni (#6)
no country for old wainds (#7)
Challenge Everything (#9)

TOTAL POINTS: 67

Reactions: CiG
I went into this thinking Pure Holocaust would take my number 1 spot as I fucking love it so much. But it undeniably has a few weaker tracks - I've never been huge on the title track for example. So I gave my number 1 to The Nocturnal Silence as it's more consistently amazing.

Pure Holocaust has one of the best production jobs on a black metal album period. Seriously, after hearing some of these songs live, they sound like utter shit compared to the studio versions.

Reactions: CiG
2) Thy Mighty Contract by Rotting Christ
All father's treasure the upcoming mighty contract...

"Thy Mighty Contract is fucking amazing." - Thanatos

"Their first three albums are all great, with Thy Mighty Contract probably making my top five in all of black metal. Absolutely amazing album." - @Slayed Necros

" I'm listening to Thy Mighty Contract right now and really not seeing what' so special about it. Many of the riffs are tasty, but the production is tragically flat and the vocals and drum programming are meh." - waif

"Seriously, Thy Mighty Contract and Non Serviam are 2 of my favourite albums, but their releases after those get a bit boring." - Skepticism

Chosen by:
Slayed Necros (#1)

Manic Ferocity (#1)
Omni (#2)
rms (#2)
Vegard Pompey (#4)
Challenge Everything (#5)
Mort Divine (#5)
Zerostatic (#5)
Atomic Tide (#6)
Krow (#7)
Phylactery (=7)
no country for old wainds (=10)

TOTAL POINTS: 75.5

1) Nespithe by Demilich

*Incoherent burping*
All christians and satanists you see must be crucified before they flee...

"DEMILICH - NESPITHE. Worst. Vocals. Ever. - @byrne

"Nespithe melts my brain every time." - @challenge_everything
"I'm still looking for a death metal album that will top Nespithe." - @-CyanideChrist-

"IDemilich `nespithe is cool once you do get past the vocals because the music is so bizzare to the point of actually distracting you from the vocals. Nespithe also has really odd dive bombs(which are the shit!). I still find older Sentenced,Amorphis,Demigod(SOSE) and Funebre much better. " - CF87

"Sorry, I'm just not big on completely obtuse death metal." - Saparmurat_Niyazov

"The age old question: Slumber of Sullen Eyes or Nespithe?

I think that both of them are of comparable quality. Nespithe has more "weird factor" and a truly unmatched execution but I think that Slumber of Sullen Eyes is a more crushingly intense album. I can never really decide which one is better. I think that Slumber of Sullen Eyes deserves more attention because I'm certain that Nespithe is more well-recognized." -Thralldom

"Listening to Nespithe is like being a baby again and getting rocked (hah) into a trancelike slumber by your mother." - Blind Guardian

Chosen by:

Anom@nder Rake (#1)
Cyanide Christ (#1)
Dazed and Brutal (#1)
Krow (#1)
Omni (#1)
Crimsonfloyd (#2)
Dweller in the Dark (#2)
Slayed Necros (#4)
CIG (#5)
Challenge Everything (#7)
The Ozzman (#7)
Zerostatic (#7)
Mort Divine (#8)
Talos of Atmora (#8)
Alex76 (#9)

TOTAL POINTS: 101

Last edited:
Cheers. I honestly enjoy posting the results and finding the quotes and lines from songs, It's the tallying up of the scores that I fucking hate!