GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1993

Okay, so you don't deny that a majority of the album tries to be Painkiller?
I think it's a more intense album than much of their '80s fare while still managing to temper that intensity with excellent songwriting, superb musicianship and a clear attention towards pacing. You know, one of the main reasons why they're such a beloved band in the first place.

>Autopsy
>One of the greatest death metal bands of all time
>Come grab my big fat tits

Pick one

i pick #3...
zzdCcsx.jpg

Reactions: CiG
There's is some shared style between the Painkiller songs but they're hardly all clones of each other. Hell Patrol and One Shot at Glory are much more uplifting, galloping, and trad-power metal styled, Leather Rebel is speed metal of the nimble shredding variety (e.g. Racer X or whatever minus the glam and wank) while All Guns Blazing is much more simple chug-and-power chords speed metal, Metal Meltdown and Between the Hammer and the Anvil are more thrashy and a slightest hint dissonant, A Touch of Evil as pointed out is completely different from the rest of the album, and Night Crawler is more melodic. It's pure heavy metal but it's smartly written and touches a lot of bases without compromising the overall goal.

=4) Under a Funeral Moon by Darkthrone
With my art I am the fist in the face of god...

"So, Under a Funeral Moon is way too short imo.." - @The Ozzman

"Repeated listens have for me exposed Transilvanian Hunger's slight inferiority to Under A Funeral Moon. The latter is more varied and atmospheric." - @no country for old wainds

"I like my black metal to sound dirty, yet audible.

Prime example = Under a Funeral Moon "- Crimson Velvet

"I've listened to Dark Medieval Times and Under A Funeral Moon. Neither were great but I preferred Dark Medieval Times." - cookiecutter

"Ehh, besides Transilvanian Hunger, early Dark Thrones stuff could have easily passed as raw garage band death metal. Not really a bad thing though." - RedStorm (had to include this classic)

"As said already, A Blaze is amazing but only informative to what black metal would become; most effectively and clearly with Transilvanian Hunger; however, I think of Under a Funeral Moon as the quintessential Darkthrone album when taking the rest of their discography into consideration. It's also the one I've spent the most time listening to by FAR. I think it's silly to choose between those three albums, which are all incredible classics, but when pressed..." - Anticitizen One

Chosen by:
Krow (#2)

no country for old wainds (#2)
Dazed and Brutal (#2)
Anom@nder Rake (#3)
Dweller in the Dark (#4)
crimsofloyd (#5)
Serjeant Grumbles (#5)
rms (#7)
Phyactery (=7)
Atomic Tide (#8)
Oblivious Maximus (#10)

TOTAL POINTS: 66

=4) The Nocturnal Silence by Necrophobic
Born of evil in the name of Christ, you shall die!

" I've sort of rediscovered Necrophobic's The Nocturnal Silence. I've always known it's one of the best Swedish Death Metal releases, and a few recent listens have not only confirmed this, but elevated it to top ten material. Brilliant from start to finish." - @Slayed Necros

"I've never listened to anything beyond the nocturnal silence, as ive never heard anyone say anything good about it. the nocturnal silence is godly though." - @byrne

"Man, I used to be absolutely floored by Necrophobic. I listened to The Nocturnal Silence almost daily, not sure why it doesn't do much for me anymore." - DarkBliss

"DarkBliss: i know what you mean, it doesn't have as much replay value as some. i pretty much never play it anymore." - @no country for old wainds

Chosen by:
Phylactery (#1)

rms (#1)
Mort Divine (#3)
Slayed Necros (#3)
no country for old wainds (#4)

Atomic Tide (#5)
Cyanide Christ (#6)
Vegard Pompey (#6)
Alex76 (#8)
Omni (#8)
Anom@nder Rake (#10)

TOTAL POINTS: 66

But I think the variety in Priest's songwriting is pretty overlooked in general. As much as I love Maiden and prefer peak Maiden to peak Priest, Harris doesn't have half the musical creativity of Tipton/Downing/Halford. A Priest filler song can still be memorable or notably different from others while many bands will literally self-plagiarize.