Best albums of 2008

sambojoho

May 25, 2008
These are my favorites for 2008 so far. How about you?

1. Opeth – Watershed
2. Scar Symmetry – Holographic Universe
3. Enslaved – Vertebrae
4. Gojira – The Way of All Flesh
5. Virgin Black – Requiem Fortissimo
6. Hollenthon – Opus Magnum
7. Asmegin – Arv
8. Ihsahn – Angl
9. Bloodbath – Fathomless Mastery
10. Swallow the Sun - Plague of Butterflies

Enslaved- Vertebrae gets my vote, with Watershed closely behind.

i may have to update this once i hear the new deathspell omega song.:cool:

all in all not a fantastic year, but a few good releases:

gojira
enslaved
meshuggah
ane brun (not for all though...)
portishead
esoteric
coldworld

I'm not ready to rank anything yet but these are my favorites so far:

Agalloch - The White EP
Blood Ceremony - Blood Ceremony
Cult Of Luna - Eternal Kingdom
Cynic - Traced In Air
Earth - The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull
Enslaved - Vertebrae
Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh
Ihsahn - angL
Lustmord - [Other]
Nachtmystium - Assassins: Black Meddle Part I
Torche - Meanderthal
Winterfylleth - The Ghost Of Heritage

0. Tom Waits - Orphans
1. Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
2. Enslaved - Vertebrae
3. Opeth - Watershed
3a. Moonsorrow - Tulimyrsky
4. Mirrorthrone - Gangrene
5. Coldworld - Melancolie^2
6. Steven Wilson - Insurgentes
7. Meshuggah - Obzen
8. Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh
t. Hammering Moss - HJKL Bunana
9. Trinacria - Travel Now Journey Infinitely
10. Cynic - Traced In Air

i think... maybe.. And Tyr's land, but that was kind of a dissapointment.

Agalloch - The White
The band that can do no wrong. This is a limited edition EP, of which only 2000 were released, so I'm really pleased I own one.
It's much more ambient and folky than the rest of their catalogue,but it's absolutely brilliant. Even though most of the tracks don't have vocals, it's still moving and just.... fuck, it's Agalloch!

Warrel Dane - Praises To The War Machine
The great Dane proved that he really is a force o be reckoned with, even solo. Nothing too complicated abou this album, just good ol' heavy metal. With the awesome vocals that we've come to expect from Dane, great simple riffs from Wichers, and of course, we can't forget the original and personal lyrics as well. Also, has probably my favorite cover song (Patterns) which is probably the highlight of the album for me.

Opeth - Watershed
One thing you can expect from Mike and the gang, is that you never know what to expect. This album is quite a departure from their recent albums, and takes the "prog" sound that Ghost Reveries only hinted at, and creates quite a weird album, even for Opeth. While having one of their heaviest songs (Heir Apparent) on the album, on the whole the album is "lighter" than what I'd like, and I do hope that the next album will pummel me in the face, since that's what makes the mellow moments even more beautiful. But I can't deny enjoying this album, and it does make me wonder "How else can these guys surprise me?"

Pyramaze - Immortal
Good ol' skool power metal. Honestly, if it weren't for Barlow, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed this album at all, but with Matt at the helm, with the amazing vocals I've missed for so long, I can't help but enjoy this album.

Sigur Ros - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
I have a theory. These dudes are aliens, probably from Venus. At first, they were trying to communicate with us using their weird unearthly instruments and vocals (I mean seriously, who plays guitar with a violin bow?). With each album, they came closer and closer to our "Earthly" ways of communication. With their album Takk... (the album before this one), they even used an earthly language (Icelandic, instead of the usual Hopelandic i.e. gibberish). On this recent release, they have finally started communicating with more recognisable instruments, and you actually hear that it's a bunch of guys playing in a band. They even have a song in (gasp!) English.
And while this album starts off pretty good, near the middle/end, it just doesn't hold up too well. Which is a shame, because if any earthling released this music, it's be great. But I don't listen to Sigur Ros to hear Earth - I want to hear Venus.

This Will Destroy You - This Will Destroy You
Actually, the name may fool you. These guys are hardly crushing. They just play beautiful post rock. In fact, they are quite restrained, which is pretty ballsy. Though that doesn't mean the music is boring - far from it. It does have it's share of beautiful crescendos and climaxex, just like you'd expect from a post rock band. But these guys are relaxed and take it easy, which is quite nice.

Russian Circles - Station
This is actually the crushing post rock album of the year. These guys aren't afraid to have headbanging moments, alongside gentle atmospheric moments. An awesome well rounded album with a lot of energy.

There's still a shitload I haven't listened to that I plan to: Gojira, Death Cab For Cutie, Tom Waits, Messhugah...

EDIT: Forgot a couple -

Ne Obliviscaris - The Aurora Veil

Even though it's a demo, even though it only has 3 songs, even though it's just over half an hour long, this fucking blew me away. Imagine a band, taking heavy fast paced black metal, epic black metal, Agalloch acoustics, power metal clean vocals, long winding progressive songs like Opeth AND A VIOLIN(!!!!) and creating something completely unique. I can't think of a demo that has affected me like this one - definately the release I am most excited for next year, probably the most highly expected release in the last few years.

Gates Of Winter - Lux Aeterna

Don't let the lable "power metal" fool you - it's fucking kickass. Try wrap your heads around this concept: power metal, BUT WITH NO CHEESE! Kickass instrumentation that itsn't wanky and just power chords/double bass, no formulaic songs, and ballsy vocals that at times may even be called growling. It's hard to believe that these guys are so young yet released such a mature album. I have real high hopes for them.

A bit of a disappointing year for me metal wise. Didn't hear very many new bands that floored me. Also some of the albums I was most looking forward to underwhelmed me, such as Enslaved, Cynic, Bloodbath and Gojira (the latter especially - I was expecting something huge after FMTS, but the newie sounded a little too much like more of the same). Best albums of the year for me would be (in no particular order):

Meshuggah - ObZen
Opeth - Watershed
Steve Wilson - Insurgentes
The Cure - 4:13 Dream
Asva - What You Don't Know is Frontier
NIN - The Slip
Virus - The Black Flux

Portishead - Third (totally addictive album)
Pineapple Thief - Tightly Unwound (really nice, soothing music that made me check their back catalogue...not sure if TU was released this year though...)
Bloodbath - TFM
Enslaved - Vertebrae
Meshuggah - ObZen
Coldplay - Viva la Vida (has 1 or 2 shit songs but overall it's pretty good)
Esoteric - TMW
Ihsahn - Angl

A bit of a disappointing year for me metal wise. Didn't hear very many new bands that floored me. Also some of the albums I was most looking forward to underwhelmed me, such as Enslaved, Cynic, Bloodbath and Gojira (the latter especially - I was expecting something huge after FMTS, but the newie sounded a little too much like more of the same). Best albums of the year for me would be (in no particular order):

Meshuggah - ObZen
Opeth - Watershed
Steve Wilson - Insurgentes
The Cure - 4:13 Dream
Asva - What You Don't Know is Frontier
NIN - The Slip
Virus - The Black Flux

Wut, so The Cure has an album out. Gonna d/l it for sure.

Agalloch - The White
The band that can do no wrong. This is a limited edition EP, of which only 2000 were released, so I'm really pleased I own one.

I somehow misplaced this cd & spent 3 months looking for it. I had the case but no cd.
It finally turned up in a data dvd case at work ! Due to the rarity of this album I'm also very pleased I found it !

As for my best of the year

Opeth
Enslaved
Agalloch
Nin
Daylight Dies
Miley Cyrus

Definitely not to be forgotten:

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
De La Mancha - Atlas
Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - Dolores
Mothlite - The Flax Of Reverie
Sleepmakeswaves - In Today Already Walks Tomorrow
King Hobo - s/t
This Will Destroy You - s/t

Sigur Ros - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
I have a theory. These dudes are aliens, probably from Venus. At first, they were trying to communicate with us using their weird unearthly instruments and vocals (I mean seriously, who plays guitar with a violin bow?). With each album, they came closer and closer to our "Earthly" ways of communication. With their album Takk... (the album before this one), they even used an earthly language (Icelandic, instead of the usual Hopelandic i.e. gibberish). On this recent release, they have finally started communicating with more recognisable instruments, and you actually hear that it's a bunch of guys playing in a band. They even have a song in (gasp!) English.
And while this album starts off pretty good, near the middle/end, it just doesn't hold up too well. Which is a shame, because if any earthling released this music, it's be great. But I don't listen to Sigur Ros to hear Earth - I want to hear Venus.

This theory sounds pretty plausible. Great album, it would also be on my best albums of 2008, along with:
Opeth-Watershed
Enslaved- Vertebrae
Agalloch- The White
Cynic- Traced In Air
Grouper- Dragging a Dead Deer Up A Hill
The Mars Volta- The Bedlam in Goliath

honorable mentions:
Origin- Antithesis
Nachtmystium- Assassins
Bohren & Der Club of Gore- Dolores
Goldfrapp- Seventh Tree
Meshuggah- Obzen