Best amp sim for meshuggah/slipknot style tone?

Honestly there's soooo many good, free plugs out now that using cracks is pointless. Variety of Sound (bootsy), Signal to Noize, ReaPlugs, Antress Modern... if you can't get decent mixes with those then something ain't right.

Set keFIR mix knob to 100%, that's why it sounds like shit. Then ditch most of the other plugs, I can't imagine a ts AND 2 amp sims in series sounding good.

Set keFIR mix knob to 100%, that's why it sounds like shit. Then ditch most of the other plugs, I can't imagine a ts AND 2 amp sims in series sounding good.

SoloC can be used as a preamp or a boost though.

Also, Muckypup, after 500 posts you have been here long enough to know that this board doesn't condone plugin pirates, no matter how obscene the price is.

Use either TSS or Poulin as a boost, not both of them.
And christ, unless your pickup are super low output, you do not need to have the gain that high on 7170. If you want the Meshuggah sound, it's not about buckets of gain, it's about having an appropriate amount and having picking technique of the gods.
Hell the style of music I play is even more high gain then Meshuggah, and I have yet to be able to use more than about 40 per cent gain on 8505 or 7170 before it's just too much.

Also, seriously, get rid of the Waves garbage. It will not make you a better engineer. Get the source material as good as possible and chances are you can get a good mix (with some skill and knowledge of course) using just the plug ins that come with your DAW and the free plug ins that are available.
Learn to work with a minimal of tools, because if you try to over complicate things before you really nail the fundamental skills, you're just fucking yourself in the ass.

Fucking hell, I didn't notice that the mix knob, thats whats been dicking up my sound all the time :yell: :ill: :cry::cry:

I'll test some new settings, with less gain and plugs, and post some samples later.

Use either TSS or Poulin as a boost, not both of them.
And christ, unless your pickup are super low output, you do not need to have the gain that high on 7170. If you want the Meshuggah sound, it's not about buckets of gain, it's about having an appropriate amount and having picking technique of the gods.
Hell the style of music I play is even more high gain then Meshuggah, and I have yet to be able to use more than about 40 per cent gain on 8505 or 7170 before it's just too much.

Also, seriously, get rid of the Waves garbage. It will not make you a better engineer. Get the source material as good as possible and chances are you can get a good mix (with some skill and knowledge of course) using just the plug ins that come with your DAW and the free plug ins that are available.
Learn to work with a minimal of tools, because if you try to over complicate things before you really nail the fundamental skills, you're just fucking yourself in the ass.

:lol: its true though, I will cut down on the Waves shit and the gain.

I get where you're at Mucky, I get tempted to go and crack all this high end Waves shit too but the realization it will probably actually make shit sound worse cos I have no idea what I'm doing stops me:lol:

I have no interest what so ever in expensive plugins such as Waves. It didn't take me more than a couple months of using cracked shit to realize I'm waaaaaaaaay too deep in over my head. I think the #1 key to being successful at anything in life is to know where the fuck you're at. Some people just never know their place and... well, it doesn't end well.

I have no interest what so ever in expensive plugins such as Waves. It didn't take me more than a couple months of using cracked shit to realize I'm waaaaaaaaay too deep in over my head. I think the #1 key to being successful at anything in life is to know where the fuck you're at. Some people just never know their place and... well, it doesn't end well.

What do you think is the best amp sim for that sort of "boww djent djent dje djent bowww djent djent dje dje djent bowww" style sound? I want to do some djent style stuff but need the sound to go with it:lol:

What the fuck is a "boww djent djent dje djent bowww djent djent dje dje djent bowww" style sound?

edit. thousandth posth

Honestly, since most of those tones are so unnaturally digital sounding (though I don't argue that it works for the music), I'd go Line6, MSDiamondplate and/or MSBig Bottom to be exact

What the fuck is a "boww djent djent dje djent bowww djent djent dje dje djent bowww" style sound?

edit. thousandth posth

Bulb dude, Bulb, Meshuggah, that sort of shit, the sound of the low F# string being hit always makes that low sort of bow booming sound:lol: i don't know how else to describe the way it sounds really loud, it just is a BOWW sound :D its why its called djent music because of the djent sound you get from the low string, at least thats what someone told me...

Honestly, since most of those tones are so unnaturally digital sounding (though I don't argue that it works for the music), I'd go Line6, MSDiamondplate and/or MSBig Bottom to be exact

Its so digital sounding, but it does go with that sort of music :D Its a horrible sound, but is so cool with that music!

I'm sort of somewhere inbetween the digitalness and the "real amp"-ness. I don't know what my tone is perceived like by others but I think it sounds digital "enough" to work for my music but without being all too digital, harsh and nasty.

As for the best amp sim for this... I don't know. I don't think there is a best amp sim for this. Teh djentz depend mostly on these factors:

- New fresh strings
- The bass guitar's interaction with the guitars
- Playing style

Once those things are "right", I think you can achieve a djenty tone with just about any amp sim really. I chose to work with WarpVST because it's the only amp sim I feel works for my current music but I have a hard time believing you'd like it :) But seriously, new strings make a WOOOOOORLD of difference so you can't really setup a djenty tone through some amp sim using old strings... it just won't sound right. I've tried doing it and when I switched to new strings, the tone changed so dramatically that I could no longer use the same effect chain. I had to go back and redo some stuff.

It also helps if you boost the mids/upper mids before the guitar goes into the amp sim. It brings out this metallic djenty percussive sound from the guitar. I've located my sweet spot to be around 1450 hz if I remember correctly. The bandwidth of the boost is up to you but I think I have mine set at about 1 octave, and the boost's strength is about 6db.

I have tried playing around with compressing before the amp sim but I haven't gotten very good results so far but I think I'll give it another go sometime... I like the idea of squashing the dynamics a little bit before the amp to bring out an overall more "evenly" saturated tone.