Best Black Sabbath vocalist

Who would you say was the best Black Sabbath vocalist?

• Ozzy Osbourne

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • Ronnie James Dio

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • Tony Martin

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
personally i think ozzy was better with his solo project and black sabbath was better with dio

but like all music its subjective

Profånity said:
but he wasn't Metal.

That's pathetic. You really need to open up your mind.

That being said, Ozzy still is a pretty bad singer. If anyone's ever watched the Black Sabbath Behind the Music, they might remember one part near the beginning where Ozzy basically says the only way he could get into a band was if he had a PA... His father went into debt to buy him one. Ozzy had the perfect image and presence to be a rock star, but he didn't get by on his voice. Since the question was the best singer, Dio wins hands down. Put Dio up against pretty much any singer, and he wins hands down. Ozzy is no contest for him.

Profånity said:
Ozzy wasn't Metal and he made the Metal sound into a Rock sound.

Dio proved with Dehumanizer and Mob Rules that he has a very Metal voice which made Sabbath sound even heavier.

IMO Tony Martin was the best suited vocalist for Sabbath. He had a very Metal like distinctive voice which matched Iommi's guitar perfectly.

Any other Sabbath vocalist was not to be taken seriously.

What do you think? please share your opinions.

I will be honest with you..... I consider Ronnie Dio to be "the voice of metal" and always will, but Martin is a better vocalist. Martin actually played in a project band with a guitarist called Misha Calvin and it was almost hair-metallish like Whitesnake on steroids or something, but no cheesy lyrics.... just more of an .... ugghh... I don't know how to say it... maybe a more accessible sound than Sabbath, but even for someone that HATES hair metal, most would like this. Martin absolutely rips !!! He is an amazing vocalist.
As far as the "other" vocalists not to be taken seriously, I think that is not true. Ian Gillan, Ray Gillen (though his album didn't get released) and Glenn Hughes are all quality vocalists. Some people say Ozzy is great because he is "unique" but I think Ian Gillan is just as unique and can "sing" much better.
Still.... Martin is badass. My all-time favorite Sabbath ballad is "Nightwing" I just had to fire that up on Winamp because of that post.

Bryant

didnt tony martin become a televangelist after leaving black sabbath?
No, you're thinking of Jeff Fenholt, who did some demo material with Tony Iommi from 1/85 to 5/85. Since in this brief period Tony was technically working on a "solo" project, which 7th Star was originally supposed to be, Jeff Fenholt was not really a true member of Black Sabbath.
The guy is a total douche bag. He did, afterward turn into a moronic "jebus crust freak" and went on a speaking circuit touting to be a former Sabbath vocalist and bashing them all as evil doers.
In my humble opinion Jeff is a total loser and nothing he ever said should be taken seriously. He should be drug out into the street and summarily shot.

They're all good in different ways. DIO is pretty much the best singer, he's got that really METAL sort of style and he's got the power, but Ozzy has such a strange eerie wail, it fit Sabbath very well too. Martin is a lot like Dio, pretty good. Can't really say I liked Gillian's work in Sabbath, though, and I dunno what other vocalists they might've had.

I like Ozzy's voice for its uniqueness. And, he clearly influenced the singing styles of several 70's metal bands or 70's-styled metal bands.