Best current metal bassists?

TROGDOR THE BURNINATOR

New Metal Member
Aug 11, 2010
I know he was the bassist for prog metal band Cry For Silence but his solo stuff is pretty intense

Last edited by a moderator:
Best metal bassist? This is a vague question. The one who is the most skilled, the one who actually is the most creative, the one who plays the stuff that you seem to like the most, etc etc?

I can agree on that he is very skilled, but I really don't like his style. To me, he is not the best metal bassist.

Best metal bassist? This is a vague question. The one who is the most skilled, the one who actually is the most creative, the one who plays the stuff that you seem to like the most, etc etc?

I can agree on that he is very skilled, but I really don't like his style. To me, he is not the best metal bassist.

Someone who is very skilled and innovative at their instrument. I'm not interested in plectrum/root note bass players who follow the rythm guitar.

I like people like andy who push the boat! hell he made a heavy album without using one guitar! just his bass! and he produced it all and played drums!

I'm a fan of Jo Bench from BT, but Raphael Couturier from Carcariass is pretty good - see below. Youtube sucks for this type of thing though.

I honestly can't think of any 'current' players that stand out, which is a worry. Alex Webster is a good call if you'd call him current. His work with Blotted Science is fucking outstanding.

Someone who is very skilled and innovative at their instrument. I'm not interested in plectrum/root note bass players who follow the rythm guitar.

Okay, thank you for clearing that out for me. Don't actually know who I think is "the best" but two of my favorites are Alex Webster and Steve Cloutier. Steve did some outstanding stuff in Gorguts. Too bad he's not in the current line-up.

There's nothing wrong with a bass player that uses a pick. There's a significant difference between bass tone with a pick and bass tone without, and therein lies the reason for some bass players choosing to use a pick. I agree with your second point though.

The bass player that influences me the most currently is Justin Chancellor of Tool. He always plays interesting stuff, his sound is half of what makes Tool be what it is, he loves to experiment with effects and he always plays whats relevant - never to much and never to little. There are many bas splayers that are good to great but Justin is one of those people that I find has some real uniqueness to him. I can't say the same for some other people who have fantastic technique but really doesnt push their playing towards something special.

The bass player that influences me the most currently is Justin Chancellor of Tool. He always plays interesting stuff, his sound is half of what makes Tool be what it is, he loves to experiment with effects and he always plays whats relevant - never to much and never to little. There are many bas splayers that are good to great but Justin is one of those people that I find has some real uniqueness to him. I can't say the same for some other people who have fantastic technique but really doesnt push their playing towards something special.

TooL is not a metal band though. So it does not really matter how good of a bass player he is. I like bass, but was never really much into Bass guitar. I do enjoy Martin Mendez from Opeth though.

TooL is not a metal band though. So it does not really matter how good of a bass player he is. I like bass, but was never really much into Bass guitar. I do enjoy Martin Mendez from Opeth though.

I think they have enough metal elements to make them a metal band. Experimental and progressive sure but I cant see another genre they fit better in. I surely wouldnt call their music rock for example. But really, it doesnt matter in the end. Its an amazing band.

If someone wants an example where the music is undoubtedly metal I would say Jeroen Paul Thesselings work with Obscura. I think he walks the fine line perfectly. He really added to the Obscura sound with some amazing fretless bass work and he had so much melody in his playing.

I can see why some like Jo Bench - her tone is absolutely perfect for her band (especially on the last album) but she really isnt very great. She does what she has to but nothing more. Same can be said for Adam Duce - although I would argue that his tone isnt that excellent (but that might be a personal preference) and that he adds at least a little more that just straight roots (he at least throws in some slides). I think he has the classical bass tone that sounds good and nice when played solo but that doesnt find its right in a band situation.

I do love both os those bands though :)