Best Death Metal Band Ever

Start of Death Metal in general? I'd have to totally disagree on this. Death, Possessed, Necrophagia, Suffocation, Morbid Angel...yadda yadda is the start of Death Metal. Now if you said Grotesque instead of ATG I wouldn't have said anything. At The Gates made some great albums (RITSIO, WFIKTBD) But in no way was the start of death metal. In Flames either. Now unless this is suppose to be about "Melodic Gothenburg Metal" then I'm sorry...but until then...I don't agree at all...might be personal, but it's the truth.

I was talking about swedish melo death metal...Of course they aren't the start of death metal that would be ridicilous...I meant they are like the father of bands like IF,DT and all the melo death bands exist now...Indeed IMO they are better than any of them...No melo death band can ever top At The Gates...The thread is about Death metal bands feel free to mention any death metal band being the best death metal band...For me the best death metal band ever is ATG...(And Slaughter Of The Soul is GODLIKE)

Actually, Grotesque,Dismember, Grave, Unleashed, and Entombed were all before At The Gates , and if you say MELODIC DEATH METAL the obviously you havent listened to enough Dismember. To me Dismember would be the first. At The Gates and Inflames are my favorites of the second wave that refined the melody.

Everybody talks about ATG, IF, DT; ok those are good but what about Hypocrisy? Sure they are not really the same thing but for me it's one of the best metal band from Sweden. Feel free to comment.

* Melodic Death Metal:
01 DARK TRANQUILLITY
02 AT THE GATES
03 IN FLAMES (old stuff ofcourse)

* Death Metal
01 DEATH
02 CANNIBAL CORPSE

* Blackened Death Metal
01 BEHEMOTH :kickkass:
02 DISSECTION

Add to your list Arch Enemy, Atheist, Carcass, Cynic, Hypocrisy, Necrophagist, etc. Too many good bands

Death Metal:
Bloodbath
Hypocrisy
The Project Hate MCMXCIX

Melodic Death Metal:
Scar Symmetry
Dark Tranquillity
Insomnium

It's not a who "who started death metal" thread by the way people.. It's who does it best.

^ Bloodbath is a side project, dunno if they count as a "band" or not, but they are quite good.

My vote goes to Opeth, and if you consider Meshuggah tech-death, they're up there, too.

As for Melodeath, In Flames was pretty good for a while, and Arch Enemy's Doomsday Machine and Wages of Sin are both fun albums. Insomnium is thoroughly meh.