Best gear in the $500 range..

RobbM

Another lefty freak...
Nov 14, 2003
Ma/Conn Border USA
Visit site
I've been playing mostly on small amps and FX processors (i.e. POD/digi Studio Tube/zoom 505 stuff..) for the last few years of my playin. I finnally need a new set up, I just bought a new Jackson, and I need a new amp and FX to go along with it, something band worthy. Im looking to spend no more than $500 to $700. I'm looking to get as close to somewhere in the MRJ to Vai range as far as tone..I was considering a Legacy head paired with a cheap cab.

so whats your thoughts?

I bought a B-52 half stack that I like a lot. In my opinion it has really ballsy bass for its cost. The head and cab together cost $600. The company is a branch off of Line 6 if that means anything to you. Also, the effects that you run through it are very important. Don't expect a big heavy sound with a crappy ibanez stomp box. Line 6 pods are very high quality if you ever get another $300 or so. Also i've had problems with feedback with my gibson les paul so if you play one of those it might be a good idea to get a noise suppresor.

soulshred said:
I would check out line 6 stuff. they have lots of cool shit at that price range.Just courius what Jackson model did you buy?

I bought a DK-2 Pro lefty in quilt top blue. Not a custom shop, couldnt afford $1400. For the $$ the dk-2 should suit me for a while. Im just bored of my other ibanez's, i need a step up..plus im lefty which kills my chances of ever ownin a really kick ass guitar, that isnt like $3000 bucks

I Have a POD 2.0, zooms, Diditech Studio tube,Yngwies pedal, comressors/gates a old vintage deltalabs echo unit, EQ's, tons of rack gunk..if it was under $200, I prolly have tried it or had it..shit I even got suckered into gettin one of those line6 "guitar ports", talk about a waste of $125...

Now that Ive "grown up", its time for some real gear and real tone. If I saved up for say, 4-6 months (also known as "cheep ass ramen noodle diet") I could potentially afford all of Marcel Coenen's gear and then some. I really like the tone and look (and portability!) of a mesa simul class power amp, I checked ebay, they sell for like $500-1000, the marshall preamp kicks ass, and its only $350-400, and a cab wouldnt run me more than $300 or so..would the rocktron replifex be a nessesity? god, am I a gear n00b or what? lol

anyways, after seeing a couple of Marcel's videos (especially "Moyra") I pritty much got it in my head that I could get that sweet ass Vai tone without having to spend thousands upon thousands of bucks for it..

so what should I do?

thanks guys..