Best Guitar Riff(s)???

Dissection- all of Storm of the Light's Bane/Where Dead Angels Lie
Emperor- all of Prometheus
Iced Earth- Travel in Stygian, Angel's Holocaust (especially intro), Stormrider
Children of Bodom- everything alexi has ever written
In Flames- Jotun, Episode 666
Dark Tranquillity- all of The Gallery and Mind's I
Opeth- Advent, Nectar, closing riff of To Bid you Farewell, Face of Melinda...ok damn near everything
Nightwish- all of Oceanborn, but especially moondance

Black Sabbath-Into the Void (you know which one), Wicked World (that wacky jazzy/bluesey riff), Black Sabbath (pure DOOOOM)
Disembowelment-The Tree of Life and Death (that melody that comes in about a minute into the song)
Slayer-Black Magic, Angel of Death (the bridge/harmony riffs), South of Heaven intro
Death-Spirit Crusher intro, too many others to think of
Arcturus-The Throne of Tragedy (the lead riff about a minute in, I can't get enough of this riff!)
Darkthrone-Transylvanian Hunger
Gorgoroth-Crushing the Sceptor (I'm not big on this band but this song has a great riff)
any riff from Celtic Frost's Morbid Tales
Morbid Angel-Immortal Rites, God of Emptiness
lots of Iron Maiden

rushzil2112 said:
There are so damn many awesome guitar riffs out there, but I am not going to mention specific songs, but bands that deliver killer riffs.

Vanden Plas

...the list goes on forever, but those mainstream riffs, or what I call mainstream riffs get old very fast.
The guitar riffs (all of them) in "Garden of Stone" from "The God Thing" release is absolutely incredible, especially considering the first one-third of the song is a ballad and starts off with piano. I am biased as Vanden Plas is probably my favorite band, but certainly the guitar playing is one of the reasons they are my favorite.

Bryant

I almost forgot about a power/thrash classic full of great guitar licks: Metal Church's "Blessing in Disguise." Heavy enough for thrash fans, but they steered away from the same "chunka chunka chunka" riffs that became overdone after the Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Slayer emergence.

Bryant

Dimmu Borgir got exellent Keyboard riffs (if you can call it this way) on Entrhone Darkness Triumphant... I liked "Spellbound" and "Entrance".
At The Gates - City Of Screaming Statues (Intro)
At The Gates - Within (Intro, and violin thingy in the end)
Death - Pull The Plug
Death - Flesh and The Power it Holds
Death - Spirit Crusher

:headbang: :OMG: :headbang:
The list is kinda endless i just dont have the will to write it all down here...

i think dimmu borgir - spellbound by the devil (the riff near the end is amazing)
thats one that comes to mind so far

To mention a few:
Pantera - Mouth For War, Im Broken, 5 Minutes Alone
In flames - artifacts of the black rain, pinball map
Hatesphere - disbeliver
decapitated - spheres of madness
cannibal corpse - hammer smashed face
children of bodom - downfall
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul,blinded by fear
Carcass - corporal jigsaw quandary,heartwork
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Amon Amarth - death in fire
Amorphis - In The Beginning
Immortal - At The Heart Of Winter
Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss
Machine Head - Davidian

I still go for the riffs of the old metallica... Master of puppets, creeping death, seek and destroy, justice for all. Seems like all of their old riffs still kick ass.

But right now I go for At The Gates' Blinded by fear and Slaughter of the soul. Cold is also a nice riff.

Slayer's riff fuckin kick ass.... Dead skin mask, South of heaven.and also black magic.

Carcass riffs fuckin rule.they have an alien like tone.

I dunno for Anathema but their songs have an effect in you

The Haunted's In vein is so good.

Yes,

there are a gazillion great guitar riffs in metal, being that it is the definition of the genre!

My faves include;

Intro to "The Trooper" by the mighty Maiden
Intro to "Travel in Stygian" by Iced Earth
Main riff from "Fast as a Shark" by Accept
Intro riff from "Refuse, Resist" by Sepultura

and most of the ones the rest of you listed.

Later!

Atticus said:
My favourite riff ever is the playout riff on "The Mouth Licking What You've Bled" by Meshuggah
It's an intense piece of fast polyrhythmn - the guitars and the drummers feet are playing in 9/8, whilst the rest of the drums are in 4/4.
As Meshuggah are complete Gods it's a true polyrhythmn - at the end of a 64 quaver measure they have to slip in an extra beat (as 7*9 = 63) to make up the bar.
The resulting feel of the music slips in and out of sync in a way you feel you are following until the extra beat is slipped in, when it COMPLETELY DESTROYS YOUR MIND!!!!!!

Meshuggah ROCK!
Hehe, it's easier to do that when you only play one note the whole time.

Pagan Purity by Elven King
betrayal by Seven Witches
NAILED THROUGH HER CUNT by ABORTED:)kickass: Who agrees with that one?)
FROM SACRIFICE TO SURVIVAL by SKINLESS (MOFO YOU DAMN RIGHT)
Justifiable homicide by Dying Fetus
My Great Devastator
and Locust reign by CONVERGE
fearwasnt in the design by Rakoth
supreme necrotic audnance by ANAAL NATHRAK!!!!
DELIVERANCE by OPETH the mighty

God i love riffs, here are my current rifftastic song picks:

decapitated-long awaited dementia, spheres of madness
children of bodom-better off dead, hatecrew deathroll
sinergy-spit on your grave
pantera-drag the waters, hells wrath, hellbound, the great southern trendkill, domination, cemetery gates, im broken
diamond head-its electric
testament-first strike still deadly, into the pit (think thats the title), fall of the sipledome, D.N.R.
slayer-reign in blood, angel of death, captor of sin
morbid angel-where the slime live
lamb of god-the subtle arts of murder and persuasion, pariah
the haunted-godpuppet
exodus-the scar spangled banner
iron maiden-2 minutes to midnight, the trooper
carcass-carnal forge, embodiment, keep on rotting in the free world
at the gates-anything off slaughter of the soul
primal fear-armageddon
nevermore-the river dragon has come
extol-inferno
anthrax-room for one more
and obviously most old metallica

ill think of a million more as soon as im away from the computer. argh.

I just need to ask something. How can you like cannibal corpse :D I mean you had it grouped in with iced earth and anthrax :D The whole point of the music is just grotesque shock value, the riffs have no melody to them whatsoever :D What are you listening to? Oh, i'm listening to force fed broken glass. come on :D
I'm not trying to flame you, I'm seriously curious, I don't understand why people can listen to it and enjoy it :D

I can't understand it either...

Best riff is 'and justice for all' by metallica. The recorded version sucks a bit though.

hmmmm..... hard to say one.

Blackfoot's opening riff to "Highway Song" was always one of my favorites for clean guitar. It's mostly just open chords that are picked but the combination of notes are oustanding.

Bryant