Best Lead Guitarist of All Time..

Who is the best lead guitarist of all time?

• Mikael Akerfeldt

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • Kirk Hammett

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Jeff Hanneman

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Dimebag Darrell

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Jimmy Page

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Slash

• SRV

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Randy Rhoads

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Joe Satriani

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Yngwie Malmsteem

• Devin Townsend

• Michael Ammoth

• John Petrucci

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • Peter Lingdren

• Dave Murray

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
NineFeetUnderground said:
that list is absolutely pathetic. theres only 2 id even consider capable of being on such a list...but not even close to filling that spot. and guess what, mikael and peter arent either one of them.

a list like this should contain at least SOME of the following for starters. and im not even going to get into classical or jazz guitarists, because that would make this thread even more convoluted and ludicrous:

eric johnson
steve howe
michael schenker
andy laroque
jimi hendrix
mattias eklundh
jeff loomis
steve hackett
robert fripp
ritchie blackmore

You know, some metal guitarists ARE good. James Murphy and both of Maiden's guitarists can rock anyone's world, and early Merciful Fate is sexy as well (Hank Shermann just fucked up his legacy by having the crappiest solo projects of any metal musician in history).

Naglfar said:
You know, some metal guitarists ARE good. James Murphy and both of Maiden's guitarists can rock anyone's world, and early Merciful Fate is sexy as well (Hank Shermann just fucked up his legacy by having the crappiest solo projects of any metal musician in history).

yes, some metal guitarists are good. thats why i listed a few in my grouping of people to add. but most metal guitarists are good at playing metal. ask them to play/write much else and theyre back to square one.

and btw...its Mercyful Fate. and anything having to do with iron maiden is extremely overrated, unless its the Dianno period.

Devin Townsend of Strapping Young Lad
Dave Mustaine of Megadeth
Jeff Loomis
Dimebag Darrell
Jerry Cantrell of Alice In Chains
Slash
Kenny Hickey of Type O Negative
Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin
Jed Simon of Strapping Young Lad
Tom Morello of Rage Against The Machine
Frank Zappa
Eddie Van Halen
David Gilmour of Pink Floyd
Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath
Lord Tim of Dungeon
Adam Jones of Tool
Yngwie Malmsteen

NineFeetUnderground said:
yes, some metal guitarists are good. thats why i listed a few in my grouping of people to add. but most metal guitarists are good at playing metal. ask them to play/write much else and theyre back to square one.

and btw...its Mercyful Fate. and anything having to do with iron maiden is extremely overrated, unless its the Dianno period.

wow... you must have a really giant cock too.

Brackofthemountain said:
I think you guys were missing the point...

It's not about the ability to shred, or blast the pentatonic scales, or whatsoever play like Yngvie Fucking Malmsteen(I actually think that's his middle name now... Fucking), but it's more about the craft of writing and creating music. I listen to Opeth a lot more than I do Steve Vai's work, only because there's a lot more meaning behind Mike's solos. Sure, there's meaning behind Steve Vai, but he's so fucking fast that I can't even catch anything he's playing. It just sounds like he's masturbating to his guitar... which doesn't really mean I don't like him, but I just prefer Opeth over anybody who can "shred" on guitar... You've also got Jeff Loomis from Nevermore who does the same thing as Vai, but he also creates story and doesn't focus on solos being 24/7(good fucking thing Warrel Dane is vocals^_^). I think on part is that a lead is just an accessory of a song. It only adds character to the story that's being portrayed across as music.

Akerfeldt, Darrell and Page are my top 3...

If that's the case, your list is waaaay off. I mean, seriously- why did you even bother?

I know people recognise ppl like Jimi Hendrix, David Gilmour, etc as being very popular 'mainstream' guitarists. I think though my list is pretty comprehensive. I know you can't list them all in 15, but i'm sure most of us would agree that the artists each of us have mentioned are at the top of their field.

Lol Reveries... i agree so much, some of the vai, johnson, G3 stuff is just hilarious, sounding like midi file or something from a Konami or something video game.

Mike and Peter are definitely not THAT good. From these I chose Dimebag (RIP).
Where's Ron Thal?

I choose to believe that we're supposed to list the people, who's leads we like best :D , listing the fastest shredder or whatever is just meaningless in my opinion.

I like Mikael's leads, but also the lead master: Andrew Latimer (loads of their solos are only leads). I also like that John McLaughlin guy from Mahavishnu Orchestra. He's fast too, but not a wanker, if you know what i mean. Robert Fripp, David Gilmour and Jeff Loomis also make some really cool leads. :headbang:

Leper_Affinity said:
I know people recognise ppl like Jimi Hendrix, David Gilmour, etc as being very popular 'mainstream' guitarists.

HAHAHAHAHA, no I think people recognize Hendrix as arguably (notice I say arguably) the most influential rock guitarist ever, and to pigeonhole him into rock is also an injustice, it just seems to happen a lot, particularly because his impact on rock guitar was the greatest. If he didn't do what he did for guitar playing in general, half the people on this list probably would have picked up the oboe instead.

And I can't believe you forgot Wes Boreland :puke: :D

The best one is not even up there! Hands down-Eric Clapton.

Great musician, but not the best...

The poll should be named: "Who do you think is the best Guitarrist in this list?".