Best Lead Guitarist of All Time..

Who is the best lead guitarist of all time?

• Mikael Akerfeldt

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • Kirk Hammett

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Jeff Hanneman

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Dimebag Darrell

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Jimmy Page

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Slash

• SRV

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Randy Rhoads

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Joe Satriani

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Yngwie Malmsteem

• Devin Townsend

• Michael Ammoth

• John Petrucci

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • Peter Lingdren

• Dave Murray

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think it's pretty arrogant to say that no metal guitarists are good musicians. This is definitely false too, because a lot of metal guitarists also started out playing other styles, or they still do.

I still say that Carl August Tidemann should definitely be on the top of the list for anyone who has heard him. I'm just surprised so many people dont know of him.

Is mainstream music all you guys listen to?

its odd that jimi page is on the list but not Hendrix... its like the same genre but we all know hendrix is the best.
Aside from that, wheres Jeff Loomis? Hes the god among metal guitarists.

out of the list: Mikael Akerfeldt by a thousand miles. Why? Because his leads are more beautiful compared to every one of those guitarists. I don't care how fast petrucci can go, or how many sweeps yngwie can do, IMO, Akerfeldt just sounds better.

Overall:

It's really tough to say who's the best. My answer, there is no best, but there are the great ones, and my great ones are: Michael Romoe (symphony X), Jeff Loomis (Nevermore), Mikael Akerfeldt, and Daniel Gildenlow (Pain Of Salvation). You can probably make a guess that I like depressing yet beautiful soloing and all these guitarists above do exactly that!

NinjaKitten said:
its odd that jimi page is on the list but not Hendrix... its like the same genre but we all know hendrix is the best.
Aside from that, wheres Jeff Loomis? Hes the god among metal guitarists.

Hendrix is NOT the best. I hate the word best by the way, but anyway ...

Vai is a God, no two ways about it, but can I ask how nobody has mentioned the master that is Edward Van Halen? Seriously, I have to wonder sometimes.

I can't believe people are voting for Mikael. I love him to shreds (no pun intended) but he's a very different musician to your Vais, EVHs and Petruccis.

FRUGiHOYi said:
No, what album do you recommend?

Suicide by my Side is their best album to date, Alexi and Roope both do solos in the songs, amongst the awesome riffs. Roope was also in Stone (very influental on the Finnish metal scene.)

LadyValerie said:
Final Product, anyone? :cool:

great song and great solo. I love how the solo is dark and moody and fits the dark mood of the song perfectly. That's why I like nevermore so much, not because of how fast and shreddy they can play, but by the moods they generate with their downright brutally heavy music.

LadyValerie said:
Suicide by my Side is their best album to date, Alexi and Roope both do solos in the songs, amongst the awesome riffs. Roope was also in Stone (very influental on the Finnish metal scene.)
I'm definitely gonna check it out, thanks!

Wow, I wasn't surprised that the following weren't on there, check out their bands, Especially Necrophagist, Neo-Classical Guitar In Brutal Death Metal, Onset Of Putrification Is My FAVORITE Death Metal CD Of All Time, Check That Out...

Mohammed Suicmez - Necrophagist <~~~~Most Technical IMO
Chuck Schuldiner - Death
Terrance Hobbs - Suffocation
Tony Iommi - Black Sabbath
James Murphy - Obituary/Death

CarcassVox said:
if jason becker didnt get LGD he would be the greatest guitar player in the world right now.

I'm so glad someone mentioned Becker. He popped into my mind when I started reading this list, especially once Marty Friedman's name started being mentioned more too. Some of the Cacophony stuff is pretty crazy.

Mumblefood said:
Mikael Åkerfeldt, always so impeccable, couple friable Death voices with clear vibrations than smelled more.

I'll get new ears if you take grammar lessons!

I'm a little more old school:

For me it's between two: Jimmy Page and Eddie Van Halen.

Jimmy Page was not a perfectly clean player, but Led Zeppelins songs were mostly led by his innovation and supported by John Bonham amazing drumming, then layered on top was Robert Plant's voice. (poor John Paul).

Eddie Van Halen just carried most of Van Halens tunes. I always thought his solos were great, but as with Jimmy Page, I feel he led that band with the vocals of David Lee Roth layered on top.

There are many great guitarists. Some I consider great soloists, some are technicians, etc. But I feel the two above exemplified the word "lead", as I felt they controlled the flow of each of their bands overall music.