Best Lead Guitarist of All Time..

Who is the best lead guitarist of all time?

• Mikael Akerfeldt

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • Kirk Hammett

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Jeff Hanneman

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Dimebag Darrell

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Jimmy Page

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Slash

• SRV

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Randy Rhoads

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Joe Satriani

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Yngwie Malmsteem

• Devin Townsend

• Michael Ammoth

• John Petrucci

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • Peter Lingdren

• Dave Murray

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
a)friedman clearly owned mustaine in megadeth..
b)whoever voted for hammet doesnt know anything about guitar solos, hammet stole every riff he has from a mel bay book of beginers lead.
c)i voted mike, his tone, phrasing, expression, and the sheer perfection in every note he plays (albeit not that fast) are exactly what i look for in a solo.
d)almost every guitarist on the list and most of the ones yall have named are amazing, there are way to many amazing guitarists to do a list like this. way to many. just to throw two more out there that havent been named rusty cooley(a virtuoso with double bass which isnt common), and tim roth of into eternity.

I voted for Hammett, he is the pro. Not that I know much about PLAYING fast solos like his, I believe he has made the best. IMO of course

I even like solos like on songs like 'Bleeding Me' off Load.

St. Anger was crap tho...

Really I think Friedman pretty much owns most of the guitarists listed. For emotion though I am a huge fan of Latimer. Neither were listed, thus this thread loses.

BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHA, Mikael Akerfeldt better than Dimebag or Randy?!?! Gimme a break!!!

Not to knock Akerfeldt or lindgren, but they are better at writing good music and great guitar riffs. Their strengths aren't so much in the leads.

John Petrucci IS the worlds best guitarist today. He is absolutely a master guitar player. Second and third go to Mikael and Kirk. Mikael is awesome, not just technically but his composing and arranging ability when writing songs is second to none. Kirk Hamett is also really good. Who ever said that hes a bad solo artist is on crack... kirk hamett is one of the greatest solo artists i have ever heard. Almost all of his solos are so amazing and are written so well, and fit each song so perfectly, that he has to be considered in the top 5 at the very least..

oh and by the way... the people who are saying dimebag darrel was the best (i know it is your opinion) probably dont know much about playing guitar. You cant put that guy ahead of John Petrucci... no way no how.

masteropuppetz66 said:
oh and by the way... the people who are saying dimebag darrel was the best (i know it is your opinion) probably dont know much about playing guitar. You cant put that guy ahead of John Petrucci... no way no how.

I've been playing guitar for 7 years. If I knew who John Petrucci was I might have voted for him.

*leaves thread fooooreeeeverrr!* :loco:

John Petrucci is the guitarist for Dream Theater, among the best prog-rock bands of all time. Damn dude, you have been seriously playing that long and haven't heard Petrucci? Shame!

masteropuppetz66 said:
John Petrucci IS the worlds best guitarist today. He is absolutely a master guitar player. Second and third go to Mikael and Kirk. Mikael is awesome, not just technically but his composing and arranging ability when writing songs is second to none. Kirk Hamett is also really good. Who ever said that hes a bad solo artist is on crack... kirk hamett is one of the greatest solo artists i have ever heard. Almost all of his solos are so amazing and are written so well, and fit each song so perfectly, that he has to be considered in the top 5 at the very least..

I was the one who said Kirk Hammett is a bad solo artist, and no, I'm not on crack. He is horrible, all his notes are completely out of context and it sounds like half way through the solos he doesn't know what to play so he just does something totally off the wall and not coherent. Kirk Hammett is perhaps the world's second most overrated guitarist after Slash.

I do agree with your first statement though, Petrucci is the world's best from a technical standpoint although I like some others better for their playing choices. But Petrucci is number one, hands down.

first off... Hammett sucks... my guitar instructor is literally 20 times better than him. so how could he be the best at all???

and if you ask Steve Vai and Joe Satriani or John Petrucci who the best metal guitarist of all time is... they would most likely say Dimebag Darrell... Steve Vai said himself (i dont believe it =) that Dimebag is one of the people that could shred him under the table... (yea yea, its not all about shred)

im surprised no one has said Warren Haynes, Trey Anastasio or Jerry Garcia...

NineFeetUnderground said:
yes, some metal guitarists are good. thats why i listed a few in my grouping of people to add. but most metal guitarists are good at playing metal. ask them to play/write much else and theyre back to square one.

I'll agree with that. I don't consider metal guitarists, or any metal instrumentalist, to be adequate musicians at all. Though there are exceptions.

Guitarmaster said:
I'll agree with that. I don't consider metal guitarists, or any metal instrumentalist, to be adequate musicians at all. Though there are exceptions.

That's a harsh indictment. I think that the basic sentiment though is true of most genres, though, hardly just metal. Plus I would say the level at least of technical ability seems to be a bit higher, in my estimation, in metal (and I don't just mean guitar wanking) than many other genres.

It comes down to the difference between "someone who plays an instrument" and a true "musician". And no, not "tr00", lol :p

masteropuppetz66 said:

Hammet basically does a penatonic in e minor in every song. With a wah...
I'm sorry but anyone who places him among the top 3 guitarists of all time just doesn't know what they're talking about.

Petrucci is fast, and has done some tasteful stuff IMO but don't you think it's a little bit stupid/ignorant to call him the BEST guitarist period? Can you honestly say you've heard every guitarist worth listening to? Dream theater is ridiculously overrated for what they are.