Best Live Show You Ever Saw...?

WHAT'S THE BEST LIVE CONCERT YOU EVER SAW?

RULE NUMBER 1: IF YOUR ANSWER IS ANTHRAX, YOU MUST ALSO GIVE A SECOND CHOICE BAND!

RULE NUMBER 2: DO NOT JUST GIVE US THE NAME OF THE BAND AND THE VENUE/ YEAR/ WHATEVER - WRITE AT LEAST A COUPLE OF LINES THAT SUM UP WHY IT MEANT SO MUCH TO YOU AND WHAT MADE IT YOUR FAVOURITE CONCERT!

I will start it off (help me out here, I'm trying to kickstart this forum into life!)

Big Country.

Yup. Guess most of you won't even remember them, I think in the US they were something of a one-hit wonder back in the early '80's.

Anthemic, Scottish band, not metal at all, bit like early U2 or Simple Minds but a bit more gritty.

What made it so great, despite the fact that on paper I have seen many, many bands and artists that should score higher on my list, is the atmosphere, the whole vibe was electric. And Stuart Adamson, RIP, was a great frontman - He seemed to smile from ear-to-ear and his mood was infectious (which makes his eventual suicide even sadder).

Great gig, great night, never beaten for me, even by "better" bands.

So, there you go. Snigger if you want at my dodgy choice but....

YOUR TURN!

It would have been Stuart Adamsons 50th birthday today. R.I.P. fella

Best gig ever: Anthrax - Glasgow Barrowlands SOWN Tour. Anthrax at their finest. I must have only been about 13 or 14 but to this day the gig was unquestionably the finest i've seen. Opened with Potters Field and finished the night with I am the Law if memory serves me.

My other favorite gig was Megadeth and C.O.C again at the Barrowlands, Deliverance had just came out and C.O.C. were on top form. Megadeth were great 2 but played to much off Youthanasia.... I broke one of my front teeth at this gig...

I've been to a hundred plus concerts, so it is hard to just choose one show...but this Melvins show is definitely the best that I have ever seen them. They were completely on fire that night and more animated than I have ever seen them...Anyways....

Melvins are probably one of the most innovative bands out there. They have been together 25 years now and have over twenty five albums in their catalog, and they are only now beginning to hit their peak. I've seen them well over twenty times, but have yet to see them in a place as small(hence the name of the club) as this. It was basically the size of my basement and packed with a little over a hundred people. They all take the stage and I knew instantly I was in for something special. Since the departure of Kevin Rutmanis, the old bass player, they were kinda in limbo, well not really, but for Melvins they were. I was kinda bummed to see my favorite bass player of theirs go, but seeing their prior tour to this in 2006, I knew they dominate it even more so with the addition of Jarred Warren and Coady Willis from Big Business. They played just about every tune of theirs that I love...The Bloated Pope, Sky Pup, Rat Faced Granny, The Hawk, Suicide in Progress and yes, even a Beatles song:lol:. The dual drummers is what put them over the top now and seeing Coady and Dale Crover do what they do best almost brought a tear to my eye...Which is beat their drums like they were their redheaded stepchilds. I was literally front and center and was less than a foot away from King Buzzo in this barricade free venue and it was completely mind blowing being able to see EVERYTHING they were doing. So basically, being that close and being in that small of a venue made it almost seem like they had come to entertain me and only me. It was such an awesome experience and I doubt I'll ever see a show like that again.

melvinstown.jpg

Best gig ever for me was Anthrax at Sweden Rock in 2003. .

I was there, too. Awesome gig! But on top of that to me is Anthrax in June '89 on the SOE-Tour, Hamburg, Dock´s. I was about 16 and we went there with 10 friends having lots of beer and lots of fun. Supporter were Suicidal Tendencies, it was great.

Besides Anthrax it must have been Billy Idol at the Stadtpark, Hamburg, on the Devil´s Playground Tour. Billy rules! He was so nice, I have never seen anyone else permanentely signing old album covers given to him by his fans during a gig.

:worship:"Best gig ever: Anthrax - Glasgow Barrowlands SOWN Tour. Anthrax at their finest. I must have only been about 13 or 14 but to this day the gig was unquestionably the finest i've seen. Opened with Potters Field and finished the night with I am the Law if memory serves me."

I was at that one as well, it was fantastic. I think the WCFYA Barras gig was as good. The other really, really, fantastic show (they have all been great) was supporting Maiden at Ingleston, with the POT show. It had the big clock, Danny walking down the stairs during the Time solo, fucking magic!!.:headbang:

Another great gig last summer was Brian Setzer at the Carling, with his RockaBilly Riot show, the best guitarsit I've ever seen. Go and see The Stray Cats this year, you won't regret it.

Two other fantastic bands, who are also great live, are Blur and The B-52's. Honest!!! The B's are in Glasgow this summer, got my ticket and the new album is out on Monday:) Kate & Cindy, MMMmmmmmmm!!!

Muse - Wembley Stadium, London - 16th June 2007

Was to be the first live concert at the 'New' Wembley until George Michael cried so much they let him in the week before. Unreal stadium and equally fantastic live act playing. If you haven't seen Muse live then I'd highly recommend them. Please note that Metallica in Dublin '95 with COC supporting was a close second.

MY GOD!!! You were at HAARP?

I hate you so much. I haven't stopped watching the DVD since I bought it 2 weeks ago. Simply stunning!

As for me well its an easy one.

Maiden - 6 Feb 2008 - Melbourne. Simply more than a live concert. It was truly an unforgettable experience when 15,000 screaming Aussie Maiden fans who had waited for over a decade to see their favourite band return and conquer us. Truly God like.

Amazing - made every other concert I have been too seem ordinary and I have seen some major live acts too.

Pantera, 1992 i believe, on the Vulgar tour, at the Wolverhampton Civic Hall, a bunch of us went to the gig, i remember shaking my cakes all the way through "The art of shredding"...just an awesome party gig..

The sound quality of the concert was top draw, just the right levels..

Another thing that sticks in my mind was Dime hitting this Dive bomb, that just seemed to leave the building through the roof & come back again as he bought the whammy bar back down:OMG: me & my mates just looked at each other laughing, what a player man, sadly missed, but what a show...:headbang::worship:

Cheers

Matty..:kickass:

Best gig ever for me was Anthrax at Sweden Rock in 2003. I was dirty, tired, had blisters on my feet and felt like shit... and then the band started playing... the audience started singing and dancing and the guys looked stoked. And then they started smiling even more and put in another gear.
I can tell you that the band was indeed stoked that night. Big festival shows like that can be hit or miss, but the crowd was fucking amazing that night. I think everyone was caught by surprise. This show would definitely make my Top 5 list from the WCFYA tours.

The 2 Glasgow gigs in 2003 were killer too. I can't decide which one was better. The Barrowlands and The Garage were both incredible.

Pantera, 1992 i believe, on the Vulgar tour, at the Wolverhampton Civic Hall, a bunch of us went to the gig, i remember shaking my cakes all the way through "The art of shredding"...just an awesome party gig..

The sound quality of the concert was top draw, just the right levels..

Another thing that sticks in my mind was Dime hitting this Dive bomb, that just seemed to leave the building through the roof & come back again as he bought the whammy bar back down:OMG: me & my mates just looked at each other laughing, what a player man, sadly missed, but what a show...:headbang::worship:

Cheers

Matty..:kickass:

*jealous as FUCK*

I saw Down at the Carling Academy in Brum last Wednesday - and they were fucking AWESOME. Phil looks ten years younger than I imagined he would and looked fit and healthy (which is more than can be said for Rex who looked like we we disturbing his deep sleep!) and theand were tight as anything.

Great gig - definitely up there with some of my best ones.

Big Country.

Yup. Guess most of you won't even remember them, I think in the US they were something of a one-hit wonder back in the early '80's.

i like Big Country, one of my favorite non-metal bands, they were underrated as hell! "Why The Long Face" is one of the best pop/rock records of all time IMO.

i've seen Anthrax 6 times (more than any other band) live (3x Bush,3x Belladonna), the first time in 1998 and the show i enjoyed the most was on the 25th of april 2006 in Saarbrücken/Germany. the venue was packed (about 1500 people), the band was on high energy, the crowd was totally into it, the setlist was good and the sound quality superb. Anthrax (no matter who's singing) ist the best live-band IMO!

Besides Anthrax the best show i have seen so far was Metallica headlining the frequency festival on the 15th of august in Salzburg/Austria. the band enjoyed what they were doing, the setlist was incredible, the crowd sang loud and the sound was good. it was the best of the 3 Metallica-shows i've seen so far!