Best metal ballad....

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
This is a no contest for me. "I Don't Miss You" by Vanden Plas. That song took a long time to grow on me as it seriously lacks guitar, but once it did, I can put it on at any time and still be absolutely floored by the vocals of Andy Kuntz and the piano and keys of Gunter Werno. I would give my left nut to sing like that.... or play piano like that I don't even care for piano.

Bryant

'Metal ballad' is a contradiction. A 'metal' song at its core can't be a 'ballad', they are the complete opposite of each other. Perhaps 'ballad performed by a heavy metal band' would have been a better way to put it. :)

Return of Serenity by Testament - although I will remember by Queensryche is damn good as well. I also like Crown of Thorns by Vanden Plas- if one calls it a ballad.

I somewhat agree with Vic- ballad and metal seems to be a contradiction- yet if one examines the contradiction, one will find that power metal- and many prog metal groups, have thought it obligatory to put one ballad on an album since Helloween- and most of these ballads follow the same formula. So, in essence they are part of metal- and to tell you the truth- besides old hair metal bands- and power metal bands- no one else plays the ballads anymore- making the ballad even more a part of metal.

The real question is, why do bands still put out ballads- a few do them well like Queensryche- but why even bother anymore?- the 80's are over.

HELLOWEEN - If i Could fly
Opeth - Harvest (maybe not a ballad)
Guns And Roses - November Rain (all time favorite, not metal, but still)
Amorphis - Veil of Sin

You shuld check the "Metal Dreams" compilation by Nuclear Blast, only metal balads and slow tempo songs

Im sure there are quite a few that I really like, but what comes to mind right now is Amon Amarth's "A thousand years of oppression"...

Return of Serenity by Testament - although I will remember by Queensryche is damn good as well. I also like Crown of Thorns by Vanden Plas- if one calls it a ballad.

You can't name a Vanden Plas song I don't like less "We Are not God" as there are no others, but CoT has to be one of their most underrated songs.
I like "Suite Sister Mary" by Queensryche.

Bryant

When The Crowds Are Gone-Savatage
Silent Lucidity-Queensryche
Space-Dye Vest-Dream Theater
Patiently Waiting For Summer-Thought Industry
Dreamer Deciever-Judas Priest
Return To Serenity-Testament
I Died For You-Iced Earth

Among Others...