Best Metal Bands tournament

Everyone knows Judas Priest is the greatest metal band. Ever.

Judas Priest is barely even a metal band. NWOBHM is teh weak. Bands didn't start getting heavy until thrash. :D Don't get me wrong, those bands were awesome, and Sabbath was too, but they're so soft... I mean Metallica, Slayer, they're pretty soft. But at least they're heavier than rock bands. :)

Okay, flame me away my brothers.

Judas Priest is barely even a metal band. NWOBHM is teh weak. Bands didn't start getting heavy until thrash. :D Don't get me wrong, those bands were awesome, and Sabbath was too, but they're so soft... I mean Metallica, Slayer, they're pretty soft. But at least they're heavier than rock bands. :)

Ever heard Jugulator or Painkiller? Those were damn heavy records. Priest has one of the most important names in metal - they wrote some of the best material, were melodic and had a great singer. Plus made the twin guitar popular. Not to mention setting the trend of leather and studs and were a large reason of why the NWOBHM happened in the first place. When no bands were flying the heavy metal flag in the 70s, priest flew it high and proud.

And THAT is why they are the greatest metal band.

judas priest helped influence NWOBHM which then basically made thrash

Oh christ get over yourself. "thrash" is far from the only form of metal. You the offical that wants to redefine definations because time passed ? The only metal is the nasty shit ? If its not nasty its "soft" ? Damn you the special one.

No point in flame you. Everybody its entitled to have an opinion even if yours is TOTALLY ABSOLUTELY AND MOST DEFINITIVELY WRONG, SILLY AND WITHOUT BASIS.

If it wasn't for Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motorhead and the NWOBHM thrash wouldn't even have existed.

NP: Helloween - 'The Saints'

Oh christ get over yourself. "thrash" is far from the only form of metal. You the offical that wants to redefine definations because time passed ? The only metal is the nasty shit ? If its not nasty its "soft" ? Damn you the special one.

Of course thrash isn't the only form of metal! Derp.

If it's not nasty it's soft? Yep, unless you're playing rock music. Ain't nuthin' remotely "special" about me having my own defiition of metal, you have one just the same. And I'm not redifining anything that thousands haven't done before me.

Ya'll don't need to tell me about understanding where metal came from, those old bands are the bands I've listened to more than any other music on Earth. I know that metal wouldn't exist with out the Priest and The Sabbath. But... think about it more broadly. If Robert Johnson never existed, there's a fairly good chance metal would not exist. That doesn't make Robert Johnson metal.

Coming from very deep rock roots, I have trouble believing that anything sounding too much like rock should be considered metal. Trust me that I understand and have full respect for the view of metal that includes NWOBHM and the view that includes hair bands and everything. I just don't personally feel it myself. I come from groups who think Sabbath and Priest are the heaviest metal bands... whereas I think there are tens of non-metal bands, especially today, that are plenty heavier than those bands, let alone the bands that are actually considered metal these days.

So in summary, I can totally dig that view of metal, I just don't feel it.

If it's not nasty it's soft? Yep, unless you're playing rock music.

And I think I was narrow minded, thanks for saving my reputation :Smug: I hate that if it's not angry is not metal attitude, where it says you have to be pissed all the time to be metal and enjoy it. So then comes the happy/flower matal bunch pissing on the parade. Some people just can't enjoy themselves.

To me Sabaton, World Below, Abandoned, Creozoth, Force Of Evil, Tarot, Scale The Summit are all totaly heavy as fuck, and guess what only one of them is a thrash band. :rolleyes:

NP: Amaran's Plight - Incident At Haldeman's Lake

OK, Priest came from a blues based hardrock background. I heard one of their older tapes years ago, I forget what it sounded like now but I remember my conclusion. That was not where they stayed though, they definantely became heavy metal and helped define it. Maiden was heavy metal all the way. Listen to Metalicas first recording from '84 and its thrash. No question that Sabbaths first recordings had heavy metal songs on them, they had other styles to, I know theres a downright jazz influenced piece on one of the first two. That doesnt mean they were not a heavy metal band. Sabbath sure wasnt hard rock, they were a whole new thing. Back in the 80's we called pop metal, commercial metal = "metal", now called hair metal, glam metal. To us that was just "metal". The non commercial bands such as Priest, Dio, Maiden, Savatage, Queensryche, Fates, Metalica, ect. that was "heavy metal" with Metalica and others considered thrash metal. Seems to me early in their career Savatage was considered by some to be death metal believe it or not, just some of the topics they covered I guess.

My main point is and what really erks me is, people that think this way -> "amps have more saturation, drummers use more non stop double bass, sound and recording systems translate bass frequencies much better, singers sing uglier and bands play faster than ever.... therefore what was once considered heavy metal is no longer metal"....... I mean come on! give it a break. Its just evolution and many old hardcores dont necessarily think its all for the better. Used to be we had, commercial metal, heavy metal, thrash metal, speed metal, now theres so many subdivisions which in ways there needs to be but you just cant turn the old metal bands into "rock" bands. Not that its wrong for respects sake but its just plain wrong, as in not true.

I even hate the "classic rock" thing. It lumps the southern rock bands in with the hard rock bands, in with the heavy blues bands, in with the pop metal bands, right along side of the whimpy assed pop bands.... its just friggin crazy! While at the same time, the younger generation feels the need to have a hundred subdivisions but cant leave the old terms be and lump it all into "classic rock". "Oh, that old shit is just all a bunch of rock bands and now its just classic"

Are you feeling it yet ?

Today I can listen to the new bands and easily decifer which school of metal they came from. Be it Maiden, Metallica, Queensryche or Helloween to name the origional considerably different bands... that all were heavy metal through and through.

And I think I was narrow minded, thanks for saving my reputation :Smug: I hate that if it's not angry is not metal attitude, where it says you have to be pissed all the time to be metal and enjoy it. So then comes the happy/flower matal bunch pissing on the parade. Some people just can't enjoy themselves.

To me Sabaton, World Below, Abandoned, Creozoth, Force Of Evil, Tarot, Scale The Summit are all totaly heavy as fuck, and guess what only one of them is a thrash band. :rolleyes:

NP: Amaran's Plight - Incident At Haldeman's Lake

You're not reading my posts at all, my friend. Be mature. Note the fact that I already said thrash is far from the only metal. How could you possibly have missed that?

You don't have to be pissed off in the least to be metal. You can be a happy hippie and play sweet metal, it's about the sound not the level of anger. It has nothing to do with being unhappy. And as if all good music has to be classified as metal? You guys on here listen to a wider range of music than on any forum I go to. Lock me up for thinking that Judas Priest is more rock than metal. That's not a dig at them in any way what-so-ever, rock is awesome. God forbid anybody like a rock band and god forbid a rock band be an essential staple in metal history, it's not like Black Sabbath started out as a psychadelic hippie band or anything.

razoredge -- your "not true" is just an opinion. We all have our own view of what "metal" is. Most of us on here don't consider Queen metal, but they were metal in their time, so how can you just take that away from them? I've been listening to rock all my life. To me, metal is different from rock. I have no love for history, I use genres in the first place just to sort bands in my own head. I don't care what other people think of them or if they think it's okay for me to seperate it as I do, it's all for MY sake in the first place. For example a lot of people think Ten Years After is a blues-rock band. That's not what they are to me, though. It seems silly to me to use the past as the measure of today. Things have changed, after all. Is Savatage death metal the same way a death metal band today is? Give CSN to an old dude and he'll probably think it's heavy as hell... that has no baring on me.

Hell no I'm not feeling it yet. What you say is completely senseless to me just the same as what I say is completely senseless to you. That's the way genres work. They're all unique to the individual.

Queen was never considered "metal" though they created early elements that evolved into metal, same as all the hardrock bands did.

So I suppose your next project is to rewrite the definations in Websters and explain to everyone its OK, cause that way you will no longer be confused..... just the rest of the world ?

Queen was never considered "metal" though they created early elements that evolved into metal, same as all the hardrock bands did.

So I suppose your next project is to rewrite the definations in Websters and explain to everyone its OK, cause that way you will no longer be confused..... just the rest of the world ?

I don't get why you guys are blatantly ignoring what I'm saying. I'm not telling you how to look at metal. You're all mad if you think that everyone doesn't have their own definition for it. I'm simply explaining my view of metal. Ya'll should acknowledge the fact that I have endless respect for the bands in question. Having listened to rock all my life, if JP is metal then that makes things very sticky because they sound just like all the rock I know. The rest of the world doesn't give a fuck about my definition because they have their own already, so don't worry about them.

Queen was indeed considered heavy metal and still is by people I know. (here's a thread on a forum discussing Queen being metal, many say they aren't but some say they are)

You are the one thats ignoring, parameters for genres are set for a reason. Take a person such as yourself that wants to preach differently and ten people pick up on that and head on through life ignorantly not knowing the truth, now theirs 100.

Queen - Didnt read your link and dont want too, sorry, its a frustration thing. Did you buy Queens debut when it was new ? Yep pretty heavy in spots, pretty progressive in spots and they were considered "the next Zeppelin" in the press (so was Rush). Of course everyone was set against the bar of Zeppelin back then. I remember reading about the Montrose debut, also bought new. Main statement that stood out in my mind was along the lines of (non quote) = Robert Plant fans be prepared for a treat, a fresh young talent that reminds of the Robert Plant from the first four albums... and voila, we had Sammy Hagar. But he was different from Plant but definantly very satisfactory to our ears. I dont recall hearing the word "metal" till far later in the 70's. Hell, I strongly feel that "Heart" had a strong influence on metal, at least here in the States. They had the power chord pedals, high power "screaming" vocals. They were strongly influenced by Zep, but all were still hardrock bands. Hardrock bands were also allowed to explore other emotions than heavy. Something that was shuned in the 80's metal days and still, though some artists have ignored the "statis quo"... then theres the pop metal bands "power ballads" LOL! The "Montrose" album is said to be one of the first hardrock recordings that did not have a single ballad, or slow, soft song. Just a bunch of hard guitar driven rock songs. Influence on metal, Id say yes, early heavy metal? Not back then. Sabbath and Priest stood out as a whole new thing from the old hardrock bands. "You got another thing coming" and "Breaking the Law" was a whole new style, approach and attitude as well as subject topic. Take the time period: Thin Lizzy - not metal. Priest - metal, Heart - not metal, VanHalen - metal(some will want to slap me for that).

I grant you that late 70's time period is very hard to draw the line between but a transition happened and it was within the structure and attitude of the music. By 1983/84 it was very obvious and apparently earlier if you were up on all the NWOBHM bands. The NWOBHMB bothers me a bit too because it ignores what was goin on in the states. How come we dont have a NWOAHM bands era? {chuckles}

You are the one thats ignoring, parameters for genres are set for a reason. Take a person such as yourself that wants to preach differently and ten people pick up on that and head on through life ignorantly not knowing the truth, now theirs 100.

Queen - Didnt read your link and dont want too, sorry, its a frustration thing. Did you buy Queens debut when it was new ? Yep pretty heavy in spots, pretty progressive in spots and they were considered "the next Zeppelin" in the press (so was Rush). Of course everyone was set against the bar of Zeppelin back then. I remember reading about the Montrose debut, also bought new. Main statement that stood out in my mind was along the lines of (non quote) = Robert Plant fans be prepared for a treat, a fresh young talent that reminds of the Robert Plant from the first four albums... and voila, we had Sammy Hagar. But he was different from Plant but definantly very satisfactory to our ears. I dont recall hearing the word "metal" till far later in the 70's. Hell, I strongly feel that "Heart" had a strong influence on metal, at least here in the States. They had the power chord pedals, high power "screaming" vocals. They were strongly influenced by Zep, but all were still hardrock bands. Hardrock bands were also allowed to explore other emotions than heavy. Something that was shuned in the 80's metal days and still, though some artists have ignored the "statis quo"... then theres the pop metal bands "power ballads" LOL! The "Montrose" album is said to be one of the first hardrock recordings that did not have a single ballad, or slow, soft song. Just a bunch of hard guitar driven rock songs. Influence on metal, Id say yes, early heavy metal? Not back then. Sabbath and Priest stood out as a whole new thing from the old hardrock bands. "You got another thing coming" and "Breaking the Law" was a whole new style, approach and attitude as well as subject topic. Take the time period: Thin Lizzy - not metal. Priest - metal, Heart - not metal, VanHalen - metal(some will want to slap me for that).

I grant you that late 70's time period is very hard to draw the line between but a transition happened and it was within the structure and attitude of the music. By 1983/84 it was very obvious and apparently earlier if you were up on all the NWOBHM bands. The NWOBHMB bothers me a bit too because it ignores what was goin on in the states. How come we dont have a NWOAHM bands era? {chuckles}

The problem here is that you think there is one definable version of what is and isn't metal. This is undeniably untrue. Some people consider Led Zeppelin to be metal. Some people consider Pig Destroyer metal. Some people consider Blue Cheer metal. Some people consider Slipknot metal. Other people don't. People have different views of what is and isn't metal. Just because you didn't hear Queen being called metal doesn't get rid of the fact that some people consider them to be definitively metal. What you're describing very eloquently and well is just your version of what is metal. Other people have different experiences and beliefs on it.

I admit that I was wrong to say you guys weren't understanding. Ya'll are just expressing your vision of metal the same as I am.

Very true. Alex Lifeson from Rush used to say the same thing when asked if Rush was a metal band. "People who listen to metal say we aren't, people who listen to rock and softer stuff say we are".

---
Guess this type of feud only comes when you try and define the "best" metal band. Everyone has a difference of opinion. There are no set guidelines or rules to define who is the best; no scientific basis.

No Im talking about the definante transition and where it became obvious and so did the genre discreptions. Someone better understanding music theory could better explain it than me but it had alot to do with leaving tradition hard rock penatonic blues & R&R based progressions to full scales and primarly minor full scale progressions. As well as an even more aggressive attack and feel. More aggressive raw singing than Plant, Hagar, Mercury and others. Guitar players wailing away solos in minor or at least 7 note major scales. The sound was totally different. Play LZ II then play "Piece of Mind" or "Sirens" forget about "Kill 'em All " if you still cant feel it theres something wrong.

AS far as Zep. I'll give Immigrant Song a tip toward heavy metal, nothing off of II though and that was heavy stuff but not metal, all penatonic. Hocus Pocus by Focus a def. tip toward metal. Aqualung/Cross Eyed Mary a tip, many early Uriah Heep songs (primitive), Death Walks Behind You - Atomic Rooster, may have been the first "Death Metal" song? still primitive. Now Sabbath? Totally different, a whole new game, dark, so heavy it was sunk a foot deep in the muddy foggy swamps where only the wicked lerk LOL

Feeling it yet ?

Very true. Alex Lifeson from Rush used to say the same thing when asked if Rush was a metal band. "People who listen to metal say we aren't, people who listen to rock and softer stuff say we are"

I'm willing to bet he was never asked this question until the early - mid eighties. Would you know ?

No Im talking about the definante transition and where it became obvious and so did the genre discreptions. Someone better understanding music theory could better explain it than me but it had alot to do with leaving tradition hard rock penatonic blues & R&R based progressions to full scales and primarly minor full scale progressions. As well as an even more aggressive attack and feel. More aggressive raw singing than Plant, Hagar, Mercury and others. Guitar players wailing away solos in minor or at least 7 note major scales. The sound was totally different. Play LZ II then play "Piece of Mind" or "Sirens" forget about "Kill 'em All " if you still cant feel it theres something wrong.

AS far as Zep. I'll give Immigrant Song a tip toward heavy metal, nothing off of II though and that was heavy stuff but not metal, all penatonic. Hocus Pocus by Focus a def. tip toward metal. Aqualung/Cross Eyed Mary a tip, many early Uriah Heep songs (primitive), Death Walks Behind You - Atomic Rooster, may have been the first "Death Metal" song? still primitive. Now Sabbath? Totally different, a whole new game, dark, so heavy it was sunk a foot deep in the muddy foggy swamps where only the wicked lerk LOL

Feeling it yet ?

My gosh, man. Don't you agree that what you're expressing is just an opinion? The idea of what is abrasive, the idea of what is unique, even the idea of whether which level of abrasiveness and what style of music constitutes metal is highly debated and it comes from our hearts. Do you not think different people's opinions are valid? That only your own understanding of it is valid? I can't "feel it" because I'm not YOU. You can't feel what I'm saying because you're not ME. We're talking about feelings! I fully understand and I honestly have a lot of respect for your view of metal, as many of my close friends share it. But that's not how I define it. Do you think you could convince everyone that your version of metal is right? Or that this board could get a single consensus for what is and isn't metal?