Best Metal album of all time - according to BNR Metal

desert_demon

Wise in the ways of metal
Nov 10, 2002
Mexico
Visit site
The excellent site The BNR Metal Pages has been making a tournament for the Best Metal Album of All Time for the past few months and the winner is...

Megadeth - Rust In Peace

Regardless of what you think of the winner, it's interesting to see the albums in the running and how they fared against each other as the voting progressed. See all the albums here.

I was about to vote when the tournament started, but after I see "Heaven And Hell" get off (and other absurdities), I refused to do anything in there
a030.gif

Rust in Peace is worthy, so are many others but at least its not a disappointment to the name of metal as is quite abit of other stuff that is associated,.. so in other words if the poll came out with RIP on top there is some hope for the metal community.

I'm actually very impressed with the way this shaped out. Well done. Several albums there could have won, but with an elite eight of Maiden, Priest, Metallica x2, Slayer, Motorhead, Megadeth, and Sabbath, they did a damn good job.

And Helloween even made the second round! :D

I like the tournament style thinking they did. Obviously things would have turned out differently if I had done it myself but still. I am a Megadeth fan-boy so Im happy with the end result but if I did it records like "at the heart of winter", "burn my eyes", "among the living", "dreaming neon black", "blood mountain", "apetite for destruction" and "covenant" would have gone further (if they didnt meet eachother in an early round that is). Since Im not a big fan of stuff like Motörhead, Slayer, Ozzy or Dio (compared to the competition) they wouldnt have eliminated as many as they did etc.

Does anyone else think that Defenders of the Faith and/or Painkiller could have made it all the way if included? Stained Class and Screaming for Vengeance seemed like strange choices to represent Priest IMO.. did they even include British Steel btw..? I can't remember..

Anyway.. interesting tournament indeed.. and I certainly approve of Rust in Peace as the winner.. although, of course, I would have picked several other albums before it :)

Lol @ so many of those pairs. Celtic Frost losing to Pantera or over half the matchups Megadeth somehow won were particularly amusing.

Also some choices were really odd indeed; Covenant over Altars of Madness? Seasons in the Abyss over Hell Awaits? Nightfall over Epicus Doomicus Metallicus? The Gathering over The Legacy or The New Order? No Ride the Lightning? No Black Sabbath? etc. etc. lol

I wouldnt expect the real old albums to do well but what I'd like to know is how did LZ IV of all LZ albums get there ? II was the most agressive.

Kill em All was pitted against Deep Purples Machine Head

I know I dont need to say Machine Head IS very much a Classic, but I did it anyway.

I'd say that was a pretty damn good matchup that can go either way, whereas other matchups are totally ridiculous. Rust in Peace beating Kill 'Em All would've been more ridiculous than Kill 'Em All beating Machine Head, for one.

I'd pick Rust in Peace anyday, forgetting all else about the record Marty Friedmans guitar work on it is monumental

I find being one of the most important and earliest thrash records of all time to top being one of Megadeth's best records, especially when the former album is actually really damn good too.