Best Non Metal Release of 2013

Admittedly no. After so many recommendations by so many people, I've given them 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th chances with various albums. Eventually I just gave up and ignored their output. Maybe time for a 5th chance?

Hey...I'm the one who hammered the idea of listening to Bilateral into your direction with reckless abandon.
Try it out. I'd be shocked if you didn't like it, but everybody's different!

I ought to give Disclosure a listen myself. I actually do like some Anneke period The Gathering albums. Not brilliant, but pretty good.

I'm listening to Daft Punk. Never really listened to them before. Besides the autotuned robot voices, it's good music. Sounds like The Alan Parsson Project or something. But better.

I think I heard Aphex Twin if they are the ones with the crazy music videos. Kinda thought they sucked.
I also did not like what I think was regarded as the best album from The Future Sound of London when I listened to it a few weeks back.

Never heard of Redshift though.

None of those are prog though. They're solidly electronic experimental music. If you're not into that kind of thing, they will do nothing for you. Aphex Twin is one guy, FSOL is two guys, and Redshift is (mostly) two guys. It's not really meant for music videos and I can't say much about live gigs either. I've not seen any music videos for these groups. They're best IMO when listening late at night.

I youtubed aphex twin and took their top song (come to daddy) and I think it's garbage. No redeeming qualities whatsoever. So, yeah, I guess this does nothing for me. Just distorted sounds bent into rhythm with screams and other annoyances.

I also looked at some other popular bands that I thought could appeal to me based on what I've heard.
Fleet Foxes: good. great vocal harmonies.
Radiohead: not bad, but all bands that are said to "sound like radiohead" in one way or another - muse, marillion or whatever, I find to be much better.
But that's off topic :D

Check Husky Rescue - The Long Lost Friend, cannot say about "best" releases of 2013 since I haven't listened that many albums from 2013 yet, but this one is very good. Not sure if you can find it anywhere though... :p

I fucking hate Radiohead. And Nirvana. But that's another topic indeed.

Come to Daddy is probably the worst thing Aphex Twin did. And it's just one guy. It's not a band.

Aphex Twin is great. Even Come to Daddy has a great last minute. Which actually reminds me that Aphex Twin's Mt Saint Michel + Saint Michael's Mount, for me, has the best ending to any song I know. I would actually love if anyone could recommend a song that has anything similar to it, cause I haven't run into anything that sort of induces this weird reaction in my brain and body. The last minute of that song just makes me feel like there's an earthquake inside my brain and I just find it brilliant.

As far as physical reactions to music go, I would also be interested to find music that utilized ASMR, but that's a whole another thing altogether. I suspect that sort of thing might very well appear in the future as the phenomenon gets bigger and bigger on the Internet.

I youtubed aphex twin and took their top song (come to daddy) and I think it's garbage. No redeeming qualities whatsoever. So, yeah, I guess this does nothing for me.

Please listen to Cliffs, Rhubarb or Blue Calx before giving up on him. There's absolutely nothing going on but it's gorgeous.

I fucking hate Radiohead. And Nirvana. But that's another topic indeed.

I agree about Nirvana but Radiohead is fantastic. The first two songs on Kid A are so goddamn good they should be illegal.

Please listen to Cliffs, Rhubarb or Blue Calx before giving up on him. There's absolutely nothing going on but it's gorgeous.
okay.

Cliffs: sounds like a 7-minute long introsong. nothing happens. youtube comments describes it as "tranquil." perhaps, but it's not tranquil music.
Just some repeating sample of some child saying something nonsensical. It's not bad but I don't see anything special here.

Rhubarb: nice ambient tune.

Blue calx: another nice ambient tune.

so there's some decent falling-asleep music here, certainly, but I won't exactly add it to my collection.

I agree about Nirvana but Radiohead is fantastic. The first two songs on Kid A are so goddamn good they should be illegal.

Listening to the first song right now.. He literally goes "wah, wah." Pretty whiny and repetitive song. The second song is better.
I don't dislike Radiohead from what I've heard, but something like Oceansize sounds almost the same but a lot better.

I have no interest in even listening to Nirvana. I think foo fighters have one or two nice songs, but I don't know if they're anything like nirvana.

Anything with Joe Bonamassa on it. He's all over the place. He put out Seesaw earlier this year with Beth Hart and Afterglow from Black Country Communion with Glenn Hughes, Derek Sherinian, and f'n Jason Bonham. And his solo stuff. And the funk with Rock Candy Funk Party. And and and...

If only SymX could put out half as much stuff every year... ;)

The Foo Fighters are WAY better than Nirvana. Just about every album has something on it worth listening to. The best Nirvana I have ever heard was The Scarlet Furies' cover of Heart Shaped Box. I didn't even realize it was a Nirvana song. It was... good. Really good. And when it did click and I did realize from the lyrics that the song was Nirvana, it occurred to me how much they failed to sound good.

Radiohead is whiny shit. Oceansize is far, far superior in style and originality.

Total agreement here. Nirvana was crap. I was out with the family after my son's soccer practice last night and a Foo Fighters song came over the PA. I spent a few minutes thinking about what Dave Grohl must have felt like playing in such a crap band, especially as the drummer, far distant behind Cobain's shadow. That must have had some degree of torture tied to it.